Guitars in Moving truck?

Moving from CA to NH a few years back I posted about this delimma on the forum.

The best advice was from @sskkmm! Here's his original post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cases-for-moving-guitars.166313/#post-1997209

But to summarize:
  • Put your guitars in hard cases
  • Put the hard cases in wardrobe boxes
  • Let the movers know they have guitars in them
In truth, not every single one of my guitars was in a hard case. Two were in my Mono dual gig bag. And another was in a PRS gig bag. But I sandwiched those between the hard cases.

Movers did our packing and they stuffed a ton of extra bubble wrap in and around everything as well.

Worked awesome. Everything arrived safe and sound.

Moving from CA to NH a few years back I posted about this delimma on the forum.

The best advice was from @sskkmm! Here's his original post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cases-for-moving-guitars.166313/#post-1997209

But to summarize:
  • Put your guitars in hard cases
  • Put the hard cases in wardrobe boxes
  • Let the movers know they have guitars in them
In truth, not every single one of my guitars was in a hard case. Two were in my Mono dual gig bag. And another was in a PRS gig bag. But I sandwiched those between the hard cases.

Movers did our packing and they stuffed a ton of extra bubble wrap in and around everything as well.

Worked awesome. Everything arrived safe and sound.
So happy to hear it! almost 30 years of PCS moves with my wife's AF career and not one lost or broken yet!

If any of them are acoustics or semi-hollow, then toss a Boveda pack in each case. Box them up.

When I moved from NJ to AZ, my guitars and basses were in a POD for 2 months while we got settled and all was ok.

If you are shipping uncased combo amps or cabs without road cases, then tape some plywood in front of the grills and wrap in tarps.

Have them pack the guitar cases upright in wardrobe boxes with a bunch of packing paper down the sides. I moved 20 guitars and basses several times like this with no issue. 4 cases to a box usually. Taller ones got two wardrobe boxes sleeved together.

I moved my collection from Madrid to Munich some years ago, together with 4 amp heads and two 4x12 cabs, all fine, but as you , my Crown Jewels came with my by car just in case. Granted distances in Europe are not so long as in the USA but once in the truck …

My solution was to pack everything critical (guitars, gear, computers, etc.) into a rental van and drive it down on the same day as the moving truck. I had no idea how exhausting it would be, but in retrospect I’m still glad I did. If anything had gone wrong I’d have been devastated.

Last edited:
I guess some of y'all have had better experiences than me. I would never let the movers know I had guitars in boxes if they were going in to the moving truck and were out of my sight. I'm sure some companies are better than others, but most seem to hire anyone with a pulse. I've known stuff to vanish off trucks, even making a 30 minute trip across town.

I would try and move those on my own, or like someone said, at least the crown jewels. Some stuff can't really be replaced.

Happily moving to Florida. I love heat, reptiles and permitless carry. I’ve had enough of NYC for 10 lifetimes. Not even sure I want to come back to visit.
Hey I grew up on Long Island, and every time I go back to see family I wish I could win the lottery just to move them all somewhere else (I'm thinking OBX) just so I don't have to go back there ever again. Completely fkd in every possible way.

I guess some of y'all have had better experiences than me. I would never let the movers know I had guitars in boxes if they were going in to the moving truck and were out of my sight. I'm sure some companies are better than others, but most seem to hire anyone with a pulse. I've known stuff to vanish off trucks, even making a 30 minute trip across town.

I would try and move those on my own, or like someone said, at least the crown jewels. Some stuff can't really be replaced.
This is why I’m driving the truck and loading my own instruments. Truck being loaded my movers under camera. Not looking forward to a 2 day drive from NJ to FL but loosing a single guitar could be more than the cost of the whole move.

Welcome to the front range! +1 on you’ve been in SLC, and +1 on air conditioning in trucks to avoid cooking things, but not terribly hot or cold right now. 🤙🏼

I'm sure some companies are better than others, but most seem to hire anyone with a pulse. I've known stuff to vanish off trucks, even making a 30 minute trip across town.

Ain't that the truth. On moving day, we had an envelope of cash sitting under some other stuff on a desk that was staying. It was there to tip the movers who were loading the truck. When it came time to pay them, the stuff on the desk was still there but envelope was gone.

It was tense, but I had to tell them diplomatically they'd have to beat it out of whoever took the envelope. I felt awful, and I'm sure there were some interesting "conversations" between the movers later on. They were all employees of the moving company, not temps(!)

Back
Top Bottom