Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny because I just upgraded from an OG FM3 to a mkII turbo, and it’s the same power as my OG Fm9. At least my kitchen sink preset used the same CPU. Especially with reverb not in use. Not a scientific comparison but they’re pretty close. I just redid my small fm3 board and I’m loving it. Very portent little beast.

Also, thank you Fractal for all the hard work!
yes, FM9 is awesome, pay no attention to my schoolboy "banter" mate, all in good jest!

I'm gonna see how this all goes down with the FM3 firmware update and maybe splurge for one as a backup to my FM9. My FM9 presets hardly ever get above 60%, so I should be I good shape.
I have a 2nd FM9 that typically stays home.

Although.... I do have an empty rack case that looking to have it's hole filled....

It’s funny because I just upgraded from an OG FM3 to a mkII turbo, and it’s the same power as my OG Fm9. At least my kitchen sink preset used the same CPU. Especially with reverb not in use. Not a scientific comparison but they’re pretty close. I just redid my small fm3 board and I’m loving it. Very portent little beast.
They use their CPUs differently so there's no straight comparison. On a pure CPU basis, the original FM3 and FM9 or the turbo versions of both, the FM3 is still 50% of the FM9's CPU because the FM9 has two of the chips compared to the FM3's one.

FM9 having a dedicated block for reverb is a huge deal when it comes to CPU. adding 2 reverbs at ultra quality would raise the CPU % number maybe 3%.

ultra quality on the FM3 with it's one reverb block is probably around 30%, maybe more.

so the specifics of the preset are what determine CPU usage. :D

Right. I knew that stuff. Thanks for the reminder tho guys. Now that you mention it, I remember the 9 being twice the CPU as the 3, and also the reverbs having their own processor. I guess I’m just shocked that after eliminating the reverb both units were using 70%. It’s a big preset lol. I just figured that the FM3 would be working harder to run it, not be at the same CPU usage. All I know is that the FM3T MkII is a badass little unit. I find myself actually enjoying working with 'less' (buttons etc).

Last edited:
I just got a new FM3, so I'm eagerly awaiting this update. I'm trying to decide if the FM3 will suit my needs over my FM9.

I just got a new FM3, so I'm eagerly awaiting this update. I'm trying to decide if the FM3 will suit my needs over my FM9.
I would say, that you probably not helping to bring the updates to live on FM3 :D
If Fractal designates FM3 as a budget version, and you suddenly prefer a budget version over a higher-class version because it's better or the same, they might consider, that they are doing too much for FM3. (this is a joke... might be) :)
But I think Fractal does great work with every unit! I have FM3 and FM9. I clearly see, that I wouldn't use FM3 for live gigs. I might consider it with FC6. But it makes no sense then because it's the same size and almost the same price as FM9, but the firmware possibilities are drastically different.
But I see that FM3 is a great thing for bass players or guitarists who not changing scenes too often.
Why do I write this? Have no idea! I just want a gapless switch and try to kill some time :D

Last edited:
I would say, that you probably not helping to bring the updates live on FM3 :D
If Fractal designates FM3 as a budget version, and you suddenly want a budget version over a higher-class version because it's better or the same, they might consider, that they are doing too much for FM3. (this is a joke... might be) :)
But I think Fractal does great work with every unit! I have FM3 and FM9. I clearly see, that I wouldn't use FM3 for live gigs. I might consider it with FC6. But it makes no sense then because it's the same size and almost the same price as FM9, but the firmware possibilities are drastically different.
But I see that FM3 is a great thing for bass players or guitarists who not changing scenes too often.
Why do I write this? Have no idea! I just want a gapless switch and trying to kill some time :D
The small footprint of the FM3 is a win for me everytime. Fractal has something for everyone with the current 3rd gen of units.

to add onto this, I've never had a need for two amps. I did do this once back in 1998 whilst on a session and it was crap.... and that was at Air studios (long story). in the end we ended up tracks both parts separately. I'd frankly love an FM9 and AX3, but I'd only get them (and a few FC-12's) if a bit juicy gig/tour came in. FM3 = win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom