Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/25p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_25p00_beta2.zip

WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-3” amp modeling:
  • Improved preamp algorithms.
  • Improved power amp algorithms.
  • Improved output transformer loss modeling.
  • Improved preamp supply voltage modeling.
  • Nearly all amp models have been “remastered” as a result of new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.

Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.

Added “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
Haha. Shame and ridicule. :)

Easy. Use Axe Edit…

Go to the preset list page;
Select “Manage”
highlight one, some or all;
Right click;
select “Reset Amp Blocks”

Axe Edit will step though each amp channel in the selected preset(s), and soft reset the amps.
When you did this with the factory presets are you leaving it at to authentic or ideal?

Hey @skydog -- Yeah, I was one who wrote that I suspected that might be the case re: factory presets needing an update (no inside knowledge here), but was not definitive.

Often these new improved firmware changes will noticeably and directionally move the amount of GAIN, the TONE, and the LEVEL of the preset from whence said preset was originally designed/sounded on prior firmware.

Found that out many times updating from past firmwares that required an amp block reset. A new firmware may affect some amps hardly noticeably, and others a great deal. I can never tell with any certainty what a firmware's net effect is until I run through my LiveGold presets for the roughly 300 amp channels doing the A/B switch new/old firmware test with a looper running!

Can't start that A/B process (it's time to start updating LiveGold for 2024) until April given some travel rest of month -- and that also allows more time for any firmware bugs or other improvements to shake out after such a major public beta.

I always remind myself, a purpose of firmware improvements to the amp block models is not to make the amps sound "better" or "their best", but to make them sound as accurate as humanly possible to the real amp Cliff is using as a modeling reference. No one on the planet does it better than Cliff! I always keep that in mind!
I think that it is worth differentiating between “sounds good” and “sounds like I think it should.”

For my handful of tones I had carefully honed and dialed in, I needed to make adjustments.

Do you hear a difference?
Hey there
At the time I posted my comment I just found out about the beta, I didn't hear anything yet.

Yes! Its a difference in tone for sure.
I have reset my amps the same way as @skydog posted. Its the easiest way to do it. I have checked the EQ as extra, thats it.

Sounds great. Have to reset some presets to match my guitar, but overall the tone is different but better, so I leave it to be.
I toy around with these settings to adjust the tone that have been mentioned by Cliff or other forum members

=======
"You can reduce Supply Sag or change the Supply Type to DC to reduce the ghost note. Or increase B+ Time Constant to reduce the supply ripple."

"Input Trim applies level adjustment at the input of the Amp block."

"you want a clearer sound you can achieve that by turning down Master Bias Excursion"
========

-> If that doesnt do it for me, I take my backup and restore my preset.

Yesturday I restored a preset from Axechange that had a Tonematch block, just couldn't get that preset to sound great.

Easy. Use Axe Edit…

Go to the preset list page;
Select “Manage”
highlight one, some or all;
Right click;
select “Reset Amp Blocks”

Axe Edit will step though each amp channel in the selected preset(s), and soft reset the amps.

Cheers 🍻

I think that it is worth differentiating between “sounds good” and “sounds like I think it should.”

For my handful of tones I had carefully honed and dialed in, I needed to make adjustments.
No bugs found, either in beta firmware or the editor.

25 beta modeled amps are closer than ever in characteristic tone and response, to the actual amps that I own (32 of 34 are modeled by Fractal Audio).

I shoot for modeled amps to sound like their real counterparts. I try not to fuss with them too much, except for treble, midrange, bass, presence and level. That’s about as carefully as I can hone. Note that the cab block IR’s and post FX route to FOH, and the pre FX and amp block also route to an external reference amp driving one of several vintage cabs/speakers on-stage.

Also note, that I do my best, to keep my real amps operating at values as specified in their schematics. Lucky for us (at least I think), FA isn’t modeling tubes and pots to progressively wear, caps to leak, and resistors to drift.

Last edited:
I am also struggeling with the Marshall 1987x, much bass and too much gain/overdrive/distortion?. I need to check it again but there could also be something wrong.

Some amps are definitely louder , what your master setting on the SLO
I find at lower settings it is more compressed and smaller
Put you your output master lower and put the amp master up to about 12 or 1 o’clock should open it up
My Master Volume is at 4, and level was at -9dB, I have to turn the level down to -17db to get it to match my other channels in one preset after 25 beta. This was without doing any reset on the channel, resetting the channel the amp is still extremely loud compared to the others in the preset.

No bugs found, either in beta firmware or the editor.

25 beta modeled amps are closer than ever in characteristic tone and response, to the actual amps that I own (32 of 34 are modeled by Fractal Audio).

I shoot for modeled amps to sound like their real counterparts. I try not to fuss with them too much, except for treble, midrange, bass, presence and level. That’s about as carefully as I can hone. Note that the cab block IR’s and post FX route to FOH, and the pre FX and amp block also route to an external reference amp driving one of several vintage cabs/speakers on-stage.

Also note, that I do my best, to keep my real amps operating at values as specified in their schematics. Lucky for us (at least I think), FA isn’t modeling tubes and pots to progressively wear, caps to leak, and resistors to drift.
Um, not to be nosy, but did you just say you have 34 real amps, 32 of which are modeled in the Axe?

If so, cool!

My Master Volume is at 4, and level was at -9dB, I have to turn the level down to -17db to get it to match my other channels in one preset after 25 beta. This was without doing any reset on the channel, resetting the channel the amp is still extremely loud compared to the others in the preset.
WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

Shame and ridicule for you.

I really don't get the frequent concerns about the magnitude of one amp model's (or one canned preset's for that matter) loudness/level relative to others. It seems irrelevant, in modelling where the amp block's level control can set amp block output to any level without affecting tone, and where standard practice is to always approach unfamiliar or changed presets/blocks with external monotoring turned down low to avoid surprises / damage. Whether the level change brought on by a fw update is a little or a lot doesn't matter as far as I can see (I'll have to relevel it either way), but lots seem to worry about it.

Last edited:
I am also struggeling with the Marshall 1987x, much bass and too much gain/overdrive/distortion?. I need to check it again but there could also be something wrong.

And shame and ridicule for you too.

I really don't get the frequent concerns about the magnitude of one amp model's (or one canned preset's for that matter) loudness/level relative to others. It seems irrelevant, in modelling where the amp block's level control can set amp block output to any level without affecting tone, and where standard practice is to always approach unfamiliar or changed presets/blocks with external monotoring turned down low to avoid surprises / damage. Whether the level change brought on by a fw update is a little or a lot doesn't matter as far as I can see.
+inf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom