MAC Studio anyone using one ?

MaJicK

Inspired
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Studio anybody using one ? Just looking for suggestions on specs .

I replaced my much-loved iMac 27 last year with a Mac Studio M1 Max version. There are faster ones out now, but I’ve been very satisfied with the speed and connectivity. I’m not a super heavyweight user, but do some recording via Presonus Studio One, and it has been flawless in that function. I added an external SSD, which has also benefitted from the Thunderbolt transfer speeds. If there’s anything I’d do different, it would just be to have added a tad more RAM and SSD for a bit of future-proofing. But I’m plenty satisfied as is, with no hardware issues so far.

I did try the Mac transferring software, which worked fine for all the native stuff, but I kept running in permissions problems with other software. I just wiped it back to factory, and reloaded the apps from scratch and had no further issues. Next time I’ll do that from the start. Otherwise, all sunshine and roses so far!

Got an M1 mini here at the lab. It runs tracking sessions just great but it can start to get bogged down on larger mix sessions using lots of "analog" plugins.

Current-gen chipsets are much faster however so you could probably get away with a base model, unless you needed the headroom for huge sessions or the extra power to run lots of software instruments.

Carefully consider your storage capacity ahead of time though, as Apple now directly solders it to the motherboard so they can squeeze their customers. 1TB is pretty much the standard for a studio computio these days, with sample packs and project files off-loaded to external drives. It might be worth the extra capacity if you work with very large files or do video editing on your local drive, but in terms of a music-focused machine, our M1 is chock to the brim with software and plug-ins, and is only using 400GB or so.

I got a concerning amount of kernel panics of the sort I'd not really experienced in decades with other Macs, on my M1 Studio Ultra, but I chalk that up to versions lag in a complex setup on a newer architecture. Hasn't happened since I started shutting off virus check during audio package updates. As GPUs get used for audio stuff I recommend maxing out what you can. Been pretty wonderful being able to see all the plugins behave as they should, and in spades.

As pointed out above though, we'd need to know your use requirements. I am however, for audio use, comfortable suggesting buy what you can afford rather than getting by with less and needing upgrades more frequently.

I got a concerning amount of kernel panics of the sort I'd not really experienced in decades with other Macs, on my M1 Studio Ultra, but I chalk that up to versions lag in a complex setup on a newer architecture.
Unfortunately, many audio software manufacturers have been painfully slow to re-code for Apple's ARM chipsets. I was running in Rosetta mode until only very recently.

My choice if I wanted a studio would be an M2 Max base model. The only upgrade from Apple that I would consider is RAM, which would depend on my intended use. If I did video, I might consider the CPU/GPU upgrade....but I don't do that, so IDK how much it matters off the top of my head.

I would use external storage as my primary (everything but OS, applications, or other "required" things) on any modern Mac because I don't like basically any of the decisions they made designing their current storage.

I have an m2 pro mini base model, and it's been great other than the normal Apple headaches and the fact that it runs hotter for the same audible noise than my last PC (not in a concerning way, but definitely hotter).

I'm still on the cheese grater and it works just fine with Logic (fm3 and presonus firewire ;) )
I added a RX 580 for METAL and I have a very well behaving Ventura (using opencore legacy patcher)

Last edited:
I would get as much RAM as you can afford, and don't forget that you don't want to fill up your internal SSD, so make sure you get more than you need so you can leave some room for optimization. This will also help to keep up with a logical trade-in cycle, as the CTO models hold their value better.

Just upgraded to an M2 Max w/external SSDs hanging off the back. Hoping to not have to replace for many years to come.

So far, very impressed. Fast, quiet, powerful, does way more than I can throw at it (right now) without seeming to struggle at all. Good buy.

Yup... M1 Max here, running Pro Tools, Logic Pro X Digital Performer, and Final Cut Pro X with no problems... tons of tracks, VI's Plugins.... most everything is M1 ( Apple Silicon ) Native now...

But wait until Tuesday and see if the announce new models... either there will be new models or current models at reduced prices...

Back
Top Bottom