Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s ironic comedy. Tube amps are what’s being modeled.

Speaking of the beta…
I reloaded my Axe FX III with the factory preset A, B, and C banks, and batch soft-reset all of the amps with Axe Edit. I’ve been randomly selecting presets. Everything sounds terrific.
Was it necessary to reload the preset banks in order to do the reset?

Well, I can run the editor with fw25/connect -- but that doesn't mean the editor is 100% compatible yet. So beware and let's all hear from Fractal Audio directly before you try to do anything with the last editor and new fw25.0. It may be that it is okay - but I never assume!

@Michael Pickens any news on the need for a different version of axe-edit for this code? I just want to make sure all is compliant. thanks.

Last edited:
What method of leveling different output pickups and guitars did you use? I use the Amp Input Trim to dial mine in.

I Need to experiment with this beta as I have only used my main guitar when it comes to leveling.
I use multiple guitars and like to have each one hit the effects and amps at the same level. I use channels on the Input block with different gain settings to quickly switch and love that I am preserving the impedance matching with the effects that way too.

The one drawback is that there is no Scene Ignore for the Input block, so the Input channel gets reset if I switch scenes. I would happily send hookers and blow to whoever at Fractal can get Scene Ignore implemented for that block.

I was sitting on the sideline, waiting to see if anyone found anything catastrophic. After 20 pages of interesting and overwhelmingly positive adjectives, I'm taking the plunge!

Thanks Cliff, team, and the army of user beta testers here!
Be careful. After I installed the beta, my wife ran off with the mailman, the dog chewed up the sofa, and my favorite tree in the back yard blew over. And I'm not positive, but I think I'm pregnant. Coincidence? I think not. Fortunately, I have a backup wife, never really liked that sofa anyway, and no tree means no leaves to rake up next fall. Still wrapping my head around the whole pregnancy thing, though.

Other than those issues, no other problems with this firmware to report.

Was it necessary to reload the preset banks in order to do the reset?
No, not necessary at all. I just decided to go back to the Fractal presets.

They sound great with the new modeling changes. I read the posts here saying that new presets would be necessary. I’m checking it out, and don’t think that’s the case.

Be careful. After I installed the beta, my wife ran off with the mailman, the dog chewed up the sofa, and my favorite tree in the back yard blew over. And I'm not positive, but I think I'm pregnant. Coincidence? I think not. Fortunately, I have a backup wife, never really liked that sofa anyway, and no tree means no leaves to rake up next fall. Still wrapping my head around the whole pregnancy thing, though.

Wow, that sounds rough.

After just a few days using the beta, I bought the missus a new mink stole, Aunt Bertie found mental sunshine, our family recovered from harmful radiation, the kids stopped sucking their thumbs, junior was finally able to get the drawbridge oiled, and the whole family inexplicably received free hats.

No, not necessary at all. I just decided to go back to the Fractal presets.

They sound great with the new modeling changes. I read the posts here saying that new presets would be necessary. I’m checking it out, and don’t think that’s the case.
Hey @skydog -- Yeah, I was one who wrote that I suspected that might be the case re: factory presets needing an update (no inside knowledge here), but was not definitive.

Often these new improved firmware changes will noticeably and directionally move the amount of GAIN, the TONE, and the LEVEL of the preset from whence said preset was originally designed/sounded on prior firmware.

Found that out many times updating from past firmwares that required an amp block reset. A new firmware may affect some amps hardly noticeably, and others a great deal. I can never tell with any certainty what a firmware's net effect is until I run through my LiveGold presets for the roughly 300 amp channels doing the A/B switch new/old firmware test with a looper running!

Can't start that A/B process (it's time to start updating LiveGold for 2024) until April given some travel rest of month -- and that also allows more time for any firmware bugs or other improvements to shake out after such a major public beta.

I always remind myself, a purpose of firmware improvements to the amp block models is not to make the amps sound "better" or "their best", but to make them sound as accurate as humanly possible to the real amp Cliff is using as a modeling reference. No one on the planet does it better than Cliff! I always keep that in mind!

I did not tested the 25b because i wait for the official release.
the presets was made before Cygnus X-2, Cygnus X-3.
maybe it needs some update?

Well, it IS beta after all!

Well, I can run the editor with fw25/connect -- but that doesn't mean the editor is 100% compatible yet. So beware and let's all hear from Fractal Audio directly before you try to do anything with the last editor and new fw25.0. It may be that it is okay - but I never assume!

Oh HAPPY DAY! We now have an editor for firmware 25pb!

Thank you @Michael Pickens !

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-13-17-to-support-fw-25-00-public-beta.202762/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I select all the factory presets in Axe-Edit's Preset Manager and right click to do a amp reset, it will load the new updated values in the release notes, but keep the factory preset tone stack settings the same. All except the Mid, Treble, Bass if you don't have Authentic enabled for Tone Control Display. Am I understanding that correctly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I select all the factory presets in Axe-Edit's Preset Manager and right click to do a amp reset, it will load the new updated values in the release notes, but keep the factory preset tone stack settings the same. All except the Mid, Treble, Bass if you don't have Authentic enabled for Tone Control Display. Am I understanding that correctly?
See post 124 by austinbuddy

Yep - but I was referring to the updated values in the release notes and the tone stack. Not the params @austinbuddy mentions. No biggie - was just curious. I do have LiveGold - but I don't dare touch those yet. :)

It’s ironic comedy. Tube amps are what’s being modeled.

Speaking of the beta…
I reloaded my Axe FX III with the factory preset A, B, and C banks, and batch soft-reset all of the amps with Axe Edit. I’ve been randomly selecting presets. Everything sounds terrific.
Ok enlighten me on the batch reset for the banks?
This IR is my no.1 for everything - German Boutique 4x12 in legacy folder, can´t recall what number it is.
It sounds like my beloved 2002 Mesa oversize in the room, even though I have read it´s bogner cab with V30´s.
Crazy, I know, but it sounds scary close to my cab. :p

Amp settings that are changed from default values are only these :

Input gain at 3 (very important to get the feel right), treble 6, presence 7, input trim 0,8.
impedance curve set to Fractal LB-2 UK
input dynamics 3

it´s that easy to get that tone :)
Cool sound!

Honestly the shift in tone isn't that massive for me. The amps just sound more realistic and more "in the room" if that makes sense, at least to my ears.

EQ still sounds about the same, but there's more low end, and some more midrange that I can hear, which isn't a bad thing.

The only thing I had to do is change the level on the amp block for some amps, SLO in particular was really loud, so was the Mark IIC+.

I like it, nicely done Cliff + Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom