Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Input trim is also really important, especially on nmv amps like plexis
I'm also fighting with my 57 Classics. Currently a bit too bright. I also reduced the height and pole pieces. I just use Input 1 Level in I/O settings on 15%, I/O Input 1 Gain 1 1,0 max 1,5.

So far, I really like the FW update. The biggest thing I've noticed is on the 5E3 Tweed "Urban" amp, the fizzy high end is gone, and the amp sounds a little darker overall (using the same amp settings from FW24.04). I increased the bright cap value to 124, and pushed Presence up to around 5.4 to compensate.

My main Matchless preset sounds better than ever.
struggling with my stuff, but i'll get there i'm sure lol

I'm also fighting with my 57 Classics. Currently a bit too bright. I also reduced the height and pole pieces. I just use Input 1 Level in I/O settings on 15%, I/O Input 1 Gain 1 1,0 max 1,5.
Use the slope in the cab block or play with speaker compression, negative feedback or xformer match? Short of changing IRs

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to make it sound better without making it sound different, mmkay?
lumberg_400x400.jpg
Brilliant!

Global Input Gain - For me it's still the best. Input Trim seems to change the amp sound/character, not only the guitar input level from my experience in past. I thought it's the same!? Sorry, but I don't understand the wiki with these details ...
Input trim is a weird thing lol. But it allows wonderful tricks.

When I create a preset I start with input trim at 1.
I Find the tone sweet spot on the amp that i like and then if there’s too much gain I use the input trim. Same if I want more gain.

I’ve found that once you found settings you like it’s way better than turning the gain down or up.
Especially on plexis.

This combined with the input boost that I set to neutral ( around 10/12 dbs) and the use of the volume pot on the guitar and you get awesome gain variations from clean to high gain with 2 or 3 scenes.

It’s like having a amp tone with a range of gain that goes from 1 to 20 (more than eleven lol)

Last edited:
Really enjoying this one! The majority of my presets needed some minor tweaking in the high frequencies but once I got them dialed in, the top end is less harsh and the overall sound is just "clearer" if that makes any sense! Can't wait to put it through its paces this weekend!

Just did the update. To my ears it sounds like many of the presets have a cleaner tone. I have had to make a few adjustments to a few of my presets but nothing major. So far it sounds great to me.
I noticed this too. Maybe it’s an effect of the intermodulation distortion but the perception is that some frequencies sound like they’re distorting less than others. Reminds me of my 2203x, where the high mids and highs are saturated but the lows and low mids sound cleaner and more solid.

I dont adjust between guitars (currently a tele and fleet of HH) and the HH presets sound great with said tele. A fluke? I’ll never know.
Same here... zero preset adjustments for any of these:
-Suhr HSS (Lollar Low Wind bridge, stock singles)
-Suhr Tele (Florance pickup set)
-Charvel San Dimas (stock pickups)
-Novo Serus J (Fralin P90 bridge, Lambertones P90 neck)
-Collings SoCo (Lollar Low Winds)
-Duesenberg CC (stock pickups)
-Gretsch 6128CS (TVJ Classic+ bridge, Classic neck)

Global Input Gain - For me it's still the best. Input Trim seems to change the amp sound/character, not only the guitar input level from my experience in past. I thought it's the same!? Sorry, but I don't understand the wiki with these details ...
Global input gain applies level adjustment at the Input block.

Input Trim applies level adjustment at the input of the Amp block.

If you have nothing between Input and Amp block there should be no difference - both are pure clean level controls. If there are other effects between then there may be differences depending on how they are affected by input level.

You could also use the Level control of the Input block...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom