Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

... and perhaps I can share my Fractal moving harmonics pitch block with Joe.
I ripped this track in Moises and replaced everything except bass and drums.

The fractal pitch block can do the moving feedback at headphone level with an e-bow as the generator. I set it to the same intervals.

I just need to try it with the FR and some volume as the generator.

That Lydian intro section haunts my playing still. Since '89 y'all

Nice!

So here is the latest update:
All of the parts should be in this week. I am just waiting on the final boards to arrive (edit: they just shipped) .. and a huge order of ICs (that have already shipped)

And here is some awesome news!

In less than 10 days, I have a meeting scheduled with Joe Satriani's management, to deliver his handmade V2 to him personally
... how completely humbling is that?

It's not an endorsement deal or anything beyond me wanting to hug his neck with humble thanks for over 35 years of inspiring my playing .. and just to give him something cool that I built for the FR-12 that I saw him playing live recently.

So we now have a third beta tester ..just as I am to start filling waitlist orders in only days. And if you wondered if there are any corners cut anywhere, your V2 will be exactly like the one I a building for an absolute legend.

You can believe F-corp is going to listen to his feedback ..along with all of ours. We are in really good company.

Thank you all for seeing this all the way through with me. It has turned out to be pretty dang cool.

❤️ Liam

This is a crazy thread. Legendary.

I can see my grandchildren fighting over my V2. Or should we now call it the Satriani edition

It’s already a pro unit. And I did not miss the coaxial factor.

I don't miss having a co-axial driver, but that is the #1 design complaint that I have heard aside from the hiss.

If they were to use a co-axial driver with a built in x-over like the celestion F12-x200 instead... it would eliminate the on board crossover and horn amp

saving the cost of:
1 horn lens
1 compression driver
2 op amp channels
1 2050 amp IC
1 mosfet
14 resistors
12 capacitors
And 2 cables

That would also allow a V2 based preamp design to use just 3 dual op amps.

I don't miss having a co-axial driver, but that is the #1 design complaint that I have heard aside from the hiss.

If they were to use a co-axial driver with a built in x-over like the celestion F12-x200 instead... it would eliminate the on board crossover and horn amp

saving the cost of:
1 horn lens
1 compression driver
2 op amp channels
1 2050 amp IC
1 mosfet
14 resistors
12 capacitors
And 2 cables

And maybe a more compact design?

saving the cost of:
1 horn lens
1 compression driver
2 op amp channels
1 2050 amp IC
1 mosfet
14 resistors
12 capacitors
And 2 cables

So what you're saying is I need to order 2 V2s..

saving the cost of:
1 horn lens
1 compression driver
2 op amp channels
1 2050 amp IC
1 mosfet
14 resistors
12 capacitors
And 2 cables

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. I’m a big fan of the coaxial design. My main rig on stage Includes D&B Max12 wedges. They sound amazing.
But what I love about the FR10 is the not-FR aspect. It resonates like a cab.
Let me be a little long-winded.
I hate JBLs Eon. Not because the drivers are crap or the amp sucks. But the whole enclosure sounds like plastic. And the sum of its parts sounds like plastic.
The D&B is amazingly neutral, though slightly emphasizing some frequencies that are desirable as a monitor. But I don’t hear the enclosure as much. And it’s dense wood with almost no intrinsic resonance.
The L’Acoustics 10” I have also used sound amazing. Much more even than the D&B. But not powerful enough to do the gig. Here also the cabinet is not resonating in any significant way so I’m hearing mostly the speakers. (Coaxial).
The FR10 sounds more like an amp. I think it is because the cabinet resonates more. Not so much because of the drivers themselves. I seem to hear the cab. But that’s opinion, not fact. So maybe making it more compact, like the Xitone wedge I have played and hate, might destroy what I love about the FR10.

In a few weeks, I’ll be back with all my gear and I’ll be able to do a real shootout. We will see then.
But for now, I’m happy with the 10 the way it is.

PS: I might trust @WKSmith’s crossover more than Celestion’s. My ears pick out crap crossovers fairly quickly, especially when there’s phase misalignment.
Can’t wait to try V2. But no complaints yet on the FR10.

PS: I might trust @WKSmith’s crossover more than Celestion’s. My ears pick out crap crossovers fairly quickly, especially when there’s phase misalignment.
Can’t wait to try V2. But no complaints yet on the FR10.
I used the same crossover as the stock FR pre, I just tuned the LF side a tad bit higher to help with the freq notch at the crossover point. And I used a much cleaner IC.

I love the D&B Audiotechnik stuff. I bet those monitors are nice !

I haven't tried the FX200 co-axial yet either, it may not be a great choice in this system. I do have the ability to bypass the crossover baked into the V2 just to try it though.

i am so nervous :tearsofjoy:
  • v2 soon
  • fr-12 end of march
  • fm3 update around the corner

gents, help me, i am unexperienced with output 2, never used it but want to, for the fr-12. do i need a humbuster cable or something?
which settings should i use for the output settings and the dial?
Unbenannt.JPG
thanks in advance!

I've got an FR10 on order, but have yet to actually play through one. Is the setup inherently dark? I'd think that's the biggest thing we might miss from not having a coaxial speaker in there. The FR10 doesn't have a tweeter, does it?

I plan to run cab sims on my presets, I'd assume the FR series are still plenty bright, even running cabinet sims.

Last edited:
I've got an FR10 on order, but have yet to actually play through one? Is the setup inherently dark? I'd think that's the biggest thing we might miss from not having a coaxial speaker in there. The FR10 doesn't have a tweeter, does it?

I plan to run cab sims on my presets, I'd assume the FR series are still plenty bright, even running cabinet sims.

If you look through this long thread 1220 posts! There is a ton of info on these speakers. Graphs and everything. Can’t blame anyone for not doing that though. The speakers are pretty flat in the guitar range.

Back
Top Bottom