Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a new firmware hold onto old firmware settings? In the case of the reverb overhaul a few versions back for springs and plates, the new firmware lost some settings but similar to this, they were not actualized until a reset was done on the block. How can a new firmware understand old calculations and keep the sounds the same?
In all honesty I have some presets that I haven't touched or refreshed in a long time so it's possible they still have some v19 settings.

How does a new firmware hold onto old firmware settings? In the case of the reverb overhaul a few versions back for springs and plates, the new firmware lost some settings but similar to this, they were not actualized until a reset was done on the block. How can a new firmware understand old calculations and keep the sounds the same?
In all honesty I have some presets that I haven't touched or refreshed in a long time so it's possible they still have some v19 settings.
i think of it like a setting of Bass on 5 may sound a certain way on the old firmware, but that 5 can sound different with the updated modeling. so the value is still 5, but the tone may be changed. for the advanced parameters, it seems that something like Sag may have had an old default of say 7, where the new modeling has the default now at 5. without resetting your amp, the sag will still be 7, and may not sound or feel as good as with the new default of 5.

we can change any of those settings as we like, so if you like Sag at 7 still, sure do it. but for betas especially, at least try the new defaults so you can see what the intended new sound/feel is.

with an update like this, i would suggest waiting until you have time, and just bite the bullet to reset your amps and dial them in with the new settings. yeah you can hold on to your old settings by not adjusting the amp, but if you make a new preset and drop in an amp, it will have the changes in it by default anyway.

and of course do a FULL BACKUP first before updating. then you can roll back Firmware and install your presets as they were before.

i think of it like a setting of Bass on 5 may sound a certain way on the old firmware, but that 5 can sound different with the updated modeling. so the value is still 5, but the tone may be changed. for the advanced parameters, it seems that something like Sag may have had an old default of say 7, where the new modeling has the default now at 5. without resetting your amp, the sag will still be 7, and may not sound or feel as good as with the new default of 5.

we can change any of those settings as we like, so if you like Sag at 7 still, sure do it. but for betas especially, at least try the new defaults so you can see what the intended new sound/feel is.

with an update like this, i would suggest waiting until you have time, and just bite the bullet to reset your amps and dial them in with the new settings. yeah you can hold on to your old settings by not adjusting the amp, but if you make a new preset and drop in an amp, it will have the changes in it by default anyway.

and of course do a FULL BACKUP first before updating. then you can roll back Firmware and install your presets as they were before.
actually I meant more like this. For the old firmware, there were settings on the reverb like fig 1, then the new reverb is figure 2.
My question doesn't surround the reverb, only wondering how new code versions are able to play everything configured by the old code when the newer code doesn't have the same configuration. when the code is upgraded without the resetting the block, the reverb was identical to the old code but on refresh, it was only then re-configured and then the sound difference was apparent.
Like I said, I only use reverb as an example, this particular code advancement is different but I think the premise is still similar

OLD FIG 1:

1710793230692.png

new code FIG 2:
1710793252843.png

Last edited:

I'm just watching your live and there's definitely more clarity on fw25, fm3 sounds muffled in comparison. And on that clean tone there seems to be even some more "tridimensionality", if that comes thru a youtube stream I guess the difference is not subtle at all when playing in first person.
Can't wait for this to trickle down to my fm9!

This firmware is unbelievable, I just got a chance to play through my cabs at a decent volume and it sounds exactly like a real amp. These are by far the best tones I have got out of the AxeFx III or any amp period. This is the most excited I have ever been about a piece of guitar gear. I feel like my tone quest is complete.

What John is trying to say with that « random » thing is that the tone of a tube amp is « complex ».

They are multiple layers in these tube amp dist. These layers that dist effects stomps don’t have etc

The tone of the first modelers was like a metal zone, tight, compressed … and the more it goes, the more they try to mimic all these ghost notes, extra fuzz frequencies, sub things, that’s why the tone is more « dirty » firmware after firmware and that’s why it seems more complex to reproduced the fuzz pedals (a good example of tones craziness)

amps got hum, cracks, and yeah it is « random » on stage when you tour with them because of the mic placement, this and that. He doesn’t want to have the same tone every night and like it « savage » . That’s a point of view.

Tosin is also right to say that playing through a head without nothing is more difficult. But I am not sure that this is an argument for everyone. Some people prefer have breaks in their bicycle, even if it is less funny

Only had a chance to try the Friedman HBE so far but daaamn it’s nice. It really does sound and feel more like a real amp to me. There was always something chaotic and messy about real high gain amps that I’ve owned, and I always missed a bit of that when I used Fractal. But that gap really seems to have narrowed quite a bit more.

compare Youtube clips of for example vht/fryette/diezel amps (dry sound) vs cameron ccv/bogners/friedmans (chewy sound) and you will understand.

here’s good example of a chewy sound, the guy even says that word, cause it has that juice between the notes as he play and it’s super elastic feeling under the fingers, listen :

and here’s example of dry sound, there’s no sag and it’s super fast and immediate, almost like a transistor amp :

Not many terms more mystifying vs. clarifying than "chewy". I've yet to hear a reasonable definition of that one.

Last edited:
Andy Timmons Winterland.
I have Andy's entire discography. Great song! I think 'sag' or 'elastic' are better descriptors and would be understood by more people. I hear "chewy" and "organic" and wonder if we're still talking about guitar tone lol. "Haunting mids" is another one that comes mind.

compare Youtube clips of for example vht/fryette/diezel amps (dry sound) vs cameron ccv/bogners/friedmans (chewy sound) and you will understand.

here’s good example of a chewy sound, the guy even says that word, cause it has that juice between the notes as he play and it’s super elastic feeling under the fingers, listen :

and here’s example of dry sound :

Not many terms more mystifying vs. clarifying than "chewy". I've yet to hear a reasonable definition of that one.

I feel compelled to ask, @Chewie5150 can you shed some light on this subject for them? 🤣

Beta report:
Software loaded perfectly.
Everything looks like it’s showing up in Axe Edit (new pedal…)
Soft-reset worked great in Axe Edit.
Fractal Fender and Marshall presets sound great after soft reset (tried these, as had limited time so far).
No bugs found by me.

Other products:
I also own an FM9 and an FM3. Any company’s flagship product will typically lead with changes to the market. I knew that going in. The benefit for me with those FA units are their stage footprint, reliability, and great sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom