Modern Hard Rock Amps

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
I didn't want to badmouth the Soldano, I love the amp, but I currently want to hear less of the Soldano and more of my Gibson les paul and that works best with the Cameron atomica

I didn't want to badmouth the Soldano, I love the amp, but I currently want to hear less of the Soldano and more of my Gibson les paul and that works best with the Cameron atomica
I usually set the gain around 4 or so on the real SLO. I am typically running the master between 5 and 7. This is when I find it really comes alive and hits a sweet spot. The low end tightens up where other amps mush out with high MV. Also I find boosting the mids to ease the sheen of the highs. I get a lot of the character of my guitars to come through with an amazing clarity.

To me, the Solo 100 Lead is pretty hard to beat. Leave the tone knobs at noon, presence around 5, depth around 4, and that’s about it. That amp sounds great with pretty much any cab you throw at it.

Second pick would be the PVH 6160 Block. Gain around 3-3.5, tone controls all around 6, presence between zero-2, resonance 5-7, and master volume around 2. It’s the “anti-Friedman” where the low end is deeper and the low-mids are cut/cleaner… just depends on what you’re going for if you want a rock amp that moves outside of the Marshall world.
Hi Justin,

are you still using these settings or have you found better ones for the Solo 100 Lead?
How do you set the master controller?
And do you use a boost in the amp block to clean up the sound a bit?

Hi Justin,

are you still using these settings or have you found better ones for the Solo 100 Lead?
How do you set the master controller?
And do you use a boost in the amp block to clean up the sound a bit?
I still keep B, M, and T all at 5 and use depth and presence to tailor the low end and high end. I like master volume at 4.5 to take out just a little midrange. All of my main guitars have moderate output pickups, so I don't need a boost to clean it up. High output pickups hit the front end of the amp harder and causes bloated low-mids and a hazy top end, which is why a boost is typically needed to "undo" the unwanted character the pickup is imparting on the tone.

If you need to clean things up a bit, I prefer using a low cut in the amp block's input EQ page or using a PEQ at the start of your chain to cut lows, maybe boost a little top end, or lower the level so it doesn't hit the amp as hard.

Ok, then we're on the same wavelength and I also need less midrange on my guitars. I'll try that out straight away.

Something else
I know that you've probably written the same things 100 times and always reply to the same topics and you never get tired of doing it, I really appreciate that.

You are an asset to all guitarists

Enough of my ranting

I still keep B, M, and T all at 5 and use depth and presence to tailor the low end and high end. I like master volume at 4.5 to take out just a little midrange. All of my main guitars have moderate output pickups, so I don't need a boost to clean it up. High output pickups hit the front end of the amp harder and causes bloated low-mids and a hazy top end, which is why a boost is typically needed to "undo" the unwanted character the pickup is imparting on the tone.

If you need to clean things up a bit, I prefer using a low cut in the amp block's input EQ page or using a PEQ at the start of your chain to cut lows, maybe boost a little top end, or lower the level so it doesn't hit the amp as hard.
Hi Justin,

you were right, 4.5 is a great value and works better with my pickups as well. PRS S2 with Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded PU's and Gibson Les Paul with 490R/498T

Do you prefer single mics or mix?
You once wrote that you prefer the 58 for single mics.

I currently switch back and forth between 57/121 and 58/160 and both have their advantages. I also don't want to use both within a preset to make it easier for the FOH guy

To me, the Solo 100 Lead is pretty hard to beat. Leave the tone knobs at noon, presence around 5, depth around 4, and that’s about it. That amp sounds great with pretty much any cab you throw at it.

Second pick would be the PVH 6160 Block. Gain around 3-3.5, tone controls all around 6, presence between zero-2, resonance 5-7, and master volume around 2. It’s the “anti-Friedman” where the low end is deeper and the low-mids are cut/cleaner… just depends on what you’re going for if you want a rock amp that moves outside of the Marshall world.
I’m surprised you run the presence that low on a 5150.

Hello all,

I have been spending some time setting up my little home studio so I can start recording a new EP with the view of putting a band together as whilst I am a vocalist in my current band, I miss taking the stage as the guitarist.

I am a big Marshall and also a big Slash/GnR/Velvet Revolver fan plus a lot of 90s bands. I gravitate a lot towards the JCM800 and varients of that amp (Axe just makes Marshall amps sound better than the originals, with the exception of the Silver Jubilee, cant warm at all to the Axe version ) but I feel my taste is maybe limiting my time investment in other amps. I have also grown to love the Mesa amps in the Axe, I love the overall character of those amps.

Before I embark on recording, I would like some advise on that constitute a good modern hard rock amp these days. I know the JVM and DSL are a more modern take on the Marshall, but I was looking for advise on other models away from Marshall.

Just very curious.
If you load the Revv Purple, you may not even have to tweak it. I'm astonished at how close it sounds to my tweaked out Marshal tone that I've worked on for 3 years. The tweaks are baked in. Also don't sleep on the 5153 Stealth. It's pretty close as is too.

Wow, I'd always though of depth and presence as post-gain tweaks, but at least for this amp they're a big deal. They can really transform the amp's whole tone, and you can use pretty much their whole range, which I rarely did.

Thanks for the tip!

If you load the Revv Purple, you may not even have to tweak it. I'm astonished at how close it sounds to my tweaked out Marshal tone that I've worked on for 3 years. The tweaks are baked in. Also don't sleep on the 5153 Stealth. It's pretty close as is too.
You're replying to a deleted user... ;)

Back
Top Bottom