Not a Bug USB audio driver update

When using the audio programs with the Axe-Fx III driver, are they using the driver in its ASIO mode?

To be honest I'm not great with computers. These things worked before I installed the driver and now they don't. I have changed nothing other than installing the driver. Wish I could be more help than that.
Is your Windows 10 a 32bit or 64bit version?

In case it helps anyone.

Initially after I installed the new 5p68b driver I was getting glitchy, hollow sounding audio playback via the FM9 USB interface (on headphones plugged into the FM9), through both Studio One and YouTube in Chrome.

I closed down all applications, rebooted the FM9, waited until it was fully operational again, then clicked on the Fractal Audio tray icon to bring up the ASIO settings.

I changed the ASIO Buffer Settings from 256 Samples to 512, then back to 256 (for the lower latency), then fired up Studio One and Chrome, and all was working as it should. Worth a shot if you're having issues.

I'll report back if anything changes.

** EDIT: **
Unfortunately about 30 minutes or so into working on a track in Studio One the problem with glitchy, "hollow" (almost like small room reverb or similar effect) audio reappeared. I've uninstalled v5p68b, reverted to v5.58, and rebooted the FM9.

So far so good back on v5.58.

** EDIT 2: **
Suddenly started getting really loud distortion and feedback via USB Audio on v5.58 driver. See full post below.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to be as factual as I can. Up front I think it's worth mentioning that I have previously experienced USB Audio driver crashes which were caused by a buggy Nvidia driver. Details here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-usb-firmware-v-1-02-release.194146/page-2#post-2533961

Having started getting issues with USB driver v5p68b I reverted to v5.58. Everything seemed ok again for about an hour or so. I switched the FM9 off but left the PC running. A short while later I fired up the FM9 again, staying on the same Preset I was on when I switched the unit off. There was no instrument (guitar) sound from either Output 1 to the monitors, or through the headphone output jack. The guitar was plugged into Input 1, same as always.

No sound via USB Audio from the PC either. Nothing from YouTube in Chrome using Windows Audio, nothing from the DAW using ASIO.

At this point I could have just rebooted the unit, but I thought it was strange and wanted to try to understand what might be happening, so I added the Output 2 block to the Preset, and connected the XLR leads to L/R on output 2 on the unit. At which point the unit started outputting an extremely loud and distorted signal via output 2 through monitors and headphones.

You can hear it in this video. This is the guitar into input 1, but just incredibly loud and distorted: Video Zip 1

I then turned the guitar volume down and recorded the continuing distorted noise coming out of output 2 through the monitors (I didn't check the headphones at this point, the noise was too distracting and I forgot). This is the distorted signal coming from the midi instrument (Zenology) monitoring in the Studio One DAW via the USB Audio coming out of output 2 on the FM9 into the monitor speakers: Video Zip 2

Finally I played a few notes via midi on the Zenology instrument, again via the midi monitoring in the Studio One DAW via the FM9 USB Audio coming out of output 2 on the FM9 into the monitor speakers. You can hear how overloaded and distorted the signal is (in addition to the general noise and feedback which I've already mentioned): Video Zip 3

I've also attached the Preset I was using (after adding Output 2 and exporting), just in case it helps, although I don't think the specific Preset is of significance here.

Just for the sake of completeness it's worth mentioning that all the USB inputs are set to 0dB in the FM9 Input settings, and have been for a long time.

I've now reverted the USB Audio Driver even further to v5.30. So far (another hour or so), no issues... I will report back in a few days.

Attachments

• Bob Bradshaw Rig.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I haven't had any issues since installing v5.30.

I've had the FM9 running for a total of about 7 hours, over 3 sessions, since installing v5.30.

So my anecdotal evidence suggests that for me at least v5.58 and v5p68b are causing issues.

I'm running Win11 x64 (23H2). The USB port is USB 3.1 on the PC itself, nothing in-between.

Msinfo32 shows no driver crashes or conflicts.

The FM9 is on FW6, FM9-Edit and USB Audio Firmware all latest.

I haven't had any issues since installing v5.30.

I've had the FM9 running for a total of about 7 hours, over 3 sessions, since installing v5.30.

So my anecdotal evidence suggests that for me at least v5.58 and v5p68b are causing issues.

I'm running Win11 x64 (23H2). The USB port is USB 3.1 on the PC itself, nothing in-between.

Msinfo32 shows no driver crashes or conflicts.

The FM9 is on FW6, FM9-Edit and USB Audio Firmware all latest.
I went back to 5.3 as well and haven't had the issues since.

Issue re-appeared on v5.30. Mike at FAS asked me to open a support ticket so I've done that. USB Driver is back on 5p68b, but no recurrence for 10+ hrs. It will happen again I'm sure, but it's totally unpredictable.

....and a vintage USB 1.1 cable... no more than two-foot seven, five-sixteenths and three millionths of one inch in length.

Have to report that I encountered difficulties on a W11 machine that also has a Presonus 1824c driver installed. I think the Presonus UC drivers are horseshit (their own aps don't recognize them always, so far mostly midiclock source issues) but whenever I had the Presonus not connected the mediaplayer blocked with the FM3 connected. Reinstalling the older driver 2020 version seems to have closed these blocking problems (at first sight, to be continued..)
Edit : FW7 on FM3

Back
Top Bottom