FC-6 Sidecar: Total Success

iaresee

Administrator
I gig only the FM9 at this point. It's the perfect gigging platform for me. The right combination of power and size.

I mostly use one preset all night and I bring individual effects in and out as I need the flavor. I do have scenes, but to reach them I've got to drop out of my "Effects 1" or "Effects 2" layouts to my Scnenes layout. I've tried putting them behind hold functions but I find it too much to manage, mentally, on the fly while I'm playing. The band moves through motions fast and there's a ton of improv in what we do so I want to "paint" but not have to think too hard about where the colours are on the palette.

I use scenes to flip many things on/off and change channels in one go in my gigging presets. They're the super special colours in the preset. The neons. Not something you want a lot of, but they're pretty amazing when used at the right moment.

Last night I decided to bring my FC-6 along as a sidecar to the FM9. I left it on my Scenes layout all night and used it as a way to gain quick access to 6 scenes in the preset.

Why did I not do this sooner? It was amazing!

I had easy access to all the scenes and kept my "pedalboard" like setup on the FM9.

The only negative was the other guitar player in the band grumbling about not having much stage room for the massive two-board pedal setup he rocks. :D I'm fine encroaching on his space a bit more.

I'll be packing along the FC-6 every gig now. If the stage turns out to be too cramped, I can always revert to just the FM9 and know that's way more than adequate. The FC-6 just makes it all a little nicer, plusher.

+1. There's something special about having all your functions available on one continuous layer. If it weren't for all the real estate that takes...

I totally agree with the op. Same setup and have the same experience. In fact, I have a layout named “Sidecar” for when the FC6 comes along. It’s great to have and a killer accessory for any other FM.

I use mine just like that… FC6 on Scenes, FM9 on effects. It’s perfect, and you can move/angle it to whatever is comfortable and easy to reach while singing, etc. Having come from a Axe Fx/MMGT 22 setup, just the FM9 worked, but the extra six switches made it sooooo much better; like the “everything on one screen” I’d become accustomed to with the RJM. I’d even use a FC12 in places if I had one!

Having come from a Axe Fx/MMGT 22 setup,
I was considering running my GT/22 with the FM9 and just keeping the FM9 on top of my powered cab behind me….

Maybe overkill? But….mmm….22 switches….

I’d never fit the FC-12 and FM9 on the stages we play. At least not without making something that would let me have them oriented not side-by-side.

I was considering running my GT/22 with the FM9 and just keeping the FM9 on top of my powered cab behind me….

I’d never fit the FC-12 and FM9 on the stages we play. At least not without making something that would let me have them oriented not side-by-side.

This is my current setup:
20240217_185643.jpg

I have been giving serious thought to shelving the Duo 24 in favor of a Duo 34, and moving pedals 1-3 over to the FM9 board to run in the pedal jacks of the FM9, since those are my three critical, must-have pedals. I'd stick the Expression IO underneath the Duo 34 board to run the buttons I use all the time (the ones with the colored button toppers) that currently reside on the FC6 board, and stick the FC6 and pedal 4 onto the Duo 17 I have hanging around. Then the optional "sidecar" board would need just an AC plug (to power the lights) and a FASLINK II plug to be operational....

I thought about building a pedalboard where they were stacked, FM9 on top, FC12 on bottom, overlapped to the point where the buttons were accessible but covering the screen (not really needed) but never found a used FC12 cheap enough to put it to the test. I figured it would be the same depth as the 22, and the same width as the FM9. Large overall, but lots o’ buttons!

But I’m becoming more sure that the 9 and 6 combo is the sweet spot for flexibility and options. It’s a pretty darn good setup.

This is my current setup:
20240217_185643.jpg

I have been giving serious thought to shelving the Duo 24 in favor of a Duo 34, and moving pedals 1-3 over to the FM9 board to run in the pedal jacks of the FM9, since those are my three critical, must-have pedals. I'd stick the Expression IO underneath the Duo 34 board to run the buttons I use all the time (the ones with the colored button toppers) that currently reside on the FC6 board, and stick the FC6 and pedal 4 onto the Duo 17 I have hanging around. Then the optional "sidecar" board would need just an AC plug (to power the lights) and a FASLINK II plug to be operational....
This would never work in the bars we play in. But it’s nice.

Please explain kind sir.

The four buttons on the left board which have colored toppers are running on an Expression IO MIDI switch/controller box. The slider and pot further back on that board also run off of that. It has four ports, which can do a slider/pot or a pair of switches. It's a great place to offload utility stuff or stuff that is not needing an indicator light above/around the switch....

I gig only the FM9 at this point. It's the perfect gigging platform for me. The right combination of power and size.

I mostly use one preset all night and I bring individual effects in and out as I need the flavor. I do have scenes, but to reach them I've got to drop out of my "Effects 1" or "Effects 2" layouts to my Scnenes layout. I've tried putting them behind hold functions but I find it too much to manage, mentally, on the fly while I'm playing. The band moves through motions fast and there's a ton of improv in what we do so I want to "paint" but not have to think too hard about where the colours are on the palette.

I use scenes to flip many things on/off and change channels in one go in my gigging presets. They're the super special colours in the preset. The neons. Not something you want a lot of, but they're pretty amazing when used at the right moment.

Last night I decided to bring my FC-6 along as a sidecar to the FM9. I left it on my Scenes layout all night and used it as a way to gain quick access to 6 scenes in the preset.

Why did I not do this sooner? It was amazing!

I had easy access to all the scenes and kept my "pedalboard" like setup on the FM9.

The only negative was the other guitar player in the band grumbling about not having much stage room for the massive two-board pedal setup he rocks. :D I'm fine encroaching on his space a bit more.

I'll be packing along the FC-6 every gig now. If the stage turns out to be too cramped, I can always revert to just the FM9 and know that's way more than adequate. The FC-6 just makes it all a little nicer, plusher.
Damn, such a great idea, Now I need to go and order a FC-6!

This would be rad but my god the weight.

Maybe the solution is to put the FC12 and EVs on a board with a shelf behind the FC that I could just sit the FM9 on? Then transport the FC board and the FM9 separately?

Hmm....this could work. Would allow me to keep a lighter FM9-only option but get 12 more switches if I knew I had the floor space.

I'd need a flat board that's about 17" deep x 32" wide to make this work. Edit: Eek. $300 from NYC Pedal Boards for something that big. :(

IMG_1902.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom