Need a monitor upgrade from KRK Rokit 6s

+1 for Yamahas. I have both the HS8 and HS7s. If you have the extra coin/space, the HS8s are a LOT better, night and day difference.

A lot of monitoring are good as long as you know them and are used to Them.

I find the Krks great for mixing, no unpleasant surprises afterwards in the car or elsewhere which was not the case with other brands.

I also use the Mackie HR824, but I do everything with the Krk first.

having only the Mackie is not good because they accept the bass enormously and if the person at home does not have a high-end speaker it will be different. I think it's a good idea to mix on neutral speakers that aren't too expensive.

Now I realize that I am talking about mixing and recording and not playing with the axe on them 😅. (Cough)

Most Guitar Centers have a monitor area where you can plug your phone in and check your own mixes with various sets of monitors. That was quite the eye opening experience for me when I wanted to upgrade from my HS5’s. I’d suggest doing that, even just to get an idea of what different monitor sizes do.

I ended up going with HS8’s and couldn’t be happier. I most likely won’t upgrade again until I’m in a room that’s a ‘legit’ mixing room.

There’s still going to be a learning curve when getting new monitors. I almost deleted my Soundcloud account when I got mine because I realized how fucking terrible all my previous mixes were and how much more room I still had to grow.

I need some opinions on here trying to decide between upgrading to Genelec 8330A, Focal, or ADAM audio A7V but trying to not exceed 2,000 dollar budget. I've had my KRK monitors for almost a decade and kind of disappointed with these in that when I mix anything or create presets, they do not translate very well.
Checkout the Presonus Sceptre S8's/S6's - they also have a lower priced line of new coaxials (but I haven't tried those):

I switched to using the Sceptre S8's from the CLRs (yeah I was using the CLRs as monitors but you need quite a bit of space for that :) )

Former recording engineer here. I bought the Neumann KH120 and KH750 subwoofer and I have to say they're unbelievably good, even a year or so later. I still smile listening to them. The subwoofer is KEY, by the way. Invest there for sure.

I need some opinions on here trying to decide between upgrading to Genelec 8330A, Focal, or ADAM audio A7V but trying to not exceed 2,000 dollar budget. I've had my KRK monitors for almost a decade and kind of disappointed with these in that when I mix anything or create presets, they do not translate very well.
I got myself a pair of Adam A7Vs and they are great as a hobby musician. I do all my sounds with the Axe Fx 3 with these and it makes sure that the sounds are still as good on the PA and the In-Ear Monitoring. I couldn‘t be happier to have such a great and consistent sound over all kinds of amplification Devices with the Axe Fx 3.

EVeryone saying its not the monitors must not have used lower end monitors before. I went from M-Audio B8s to Adam F7s and man was it an upgrade. Luckily I have some computer speakers with a sub so I was able to adjust my mixes with those to see where I was missing stuff. If you can, listen to a few of them in person before buying. Your budget is pretty good so you will end up with some good monitors. Monitors are really hard to suggest as there are so many that can be good. I would try to go off some of the advice in this thread and go from there. I like my Adams. Have heard good thinks about Focal (kinda) and others.
I think you are right on the money with this Lucas. But then at the same time, most of us are also listening in less than ideal spaces. I started out trying to monitor using old mid-range HiFi speakers and a pair of ATH M50X in my first home studio, then some borrowed KRK. Upgrading to Adam A5X was a "chalk and cheese" improvement, but immediately exposed a lot of acoustic deficiencies of the room. Moving to a dedicated, purpose built and fully treated space was an amazing upgrade again, so an Adam Sub8 followed not too far behind. Adam definitely build speakers that provide a lot of value at the price. However, in an untreated space you only hear a small proportion of their potential. In a well treated room, they absolutely shine.
A little friendly advice some will disagree with and others are tired of hearing me say I’m sure……if you are in an untreated room as I suspect and you want to hear the TRUTH, get the Slate VSX headphones. You’ll never get really accurate translation when crafting tones in a room that is lying to you. Point blank. That is all before the ability to select several different listening environments in the software to assure your patches translate across a wide variety of room types. If you will not treat the room properly, you must remove it from your decision making.
Far from tired of it, all new to me. You just sent me down a rabbit hole of independent video reviews. @Bruce Sokolovic, really appreciate you pointing to these headphones, which are going on the shopping list as the platinum version. Forgetting amp in the room, this is amp in the roomS! Kidding aside, I've often used the M50Xs as a reality check for tonal balance, but it's a 2-dimensional and tiring one. I'll let Steven Slate know if he owes you any commission for the referral.

Liam

I think you are right on the money with this Lucas. But then at the same time, most of us are also listening in less than ideal spaces. I started out trying to monitor using old mid-range HiFi speakers and a pair of ATH M50X in my first home studio, then some borrowed KRK. Upgrading to Adam A5X was a "chalk and cheese" improvement, but immediately exposed a lot of acoustic deficiencies of the room. Moving to a dedicated, purpose built and fully treated space was an amazing upgrade again, so an Adam Sub8 followed not too far behind. Adam definitely build speakers that provide a lot of value at the price. However, in an untreated space you only hear a small proportion of their potential. In a well treated room, they absolutely shine.

Far from tired of it, all new to me. You just sent me down a rabbit hole of independent video reviews. @Bruce Sokolovic, really appreciate you pointing to these headphones, which are going on the shopping list as the platinum version. Forgetting amp in the room, this is amp in the roomS! Kidding aside, I've often used the M50Xs as a reality check for tonal balance, but it's a 2-dimensional and tiring one. I'll let Steven Slate know if he owes you any commission for the referral.

Liam
Let me know how you like them! He was so busy at NAMM this year I couldn’t even get close enough to say hello. They had big news with the new Raven as well as AI crafted loops for their drum plugin. Many people seem to not like the stuff because he is the Billy Mays of the audio community, but they do have some very good products. Those cans changed my life, and that isnt a sell. It’s true.

Back
Top Bottom