Update

andyp13

Power User
Hi all, my Axe III is on firmware version 19, I have it at home today and thinking about updating it to the latest firmware 24.05
will this be ok or will my settings/sounds change dramatically?
the one thing I’m hoping that it will cure is the huge gap in sound when changing from my lead setting to the rhythm setting….

I don’t think you’ll hear a dramatic difference in sound but it all depends on what parameters you’ve changed to get your sounds.

Take a complete backup so you can roll back if you don’t like what you hear.

If you’re really paranoid record clips of your core sounds before upgrading and then reamp post upgrade to really do accurate comparisons of how the tones have changed.

Last edited:
I find a big enough difference from every increment of updates that I need to audition and tweak each preset I use.

After the full backup, another thing you might do, is record a quick DI track. Re-amp it through your most used/important presets on 19, and save to compare with your new shiny 24.05! Obviously the feel of the updated tones will take live playing, but this can help with an X vs. Y comparison. Hope that helps. Lee

In case you have presets that use an LFO check if they still work. LFOs got updatet in one of the last FWs.
Duty cycle fell down to 1 percent in my presets and had to reset it up to 50.

@unix-guy and @iaresee
Thing is I watched a tutorial with Jens Bogren when he mixed some Between the Buried and Me rhythm guitars (https://youtu.be/cirIApUJIDo?t=242). In that video he claimed that you usually have to compensate a bit after reamping because the tone get's a bit darker. I'm a novice and when I heard this I had never reamped before and when I later did some reamping I swore I could hear my reamped tone being a bit less bright than the original wet recording.

I just did some reamping just to hear if I'm wrong about this. And I probably was. Can't hear a difference this time..... :tongueclosed:

I don’t mean for this to sound catty or critical … but I can’t help but wonder how someone lets five major firmware iterations go by unused and unexplored.

Even fractional iterations show off the care and creativity Cliff puts into the evolution of these amazing tools … an off-the-shelf Axe-FX is at the very beginning of its creative life. Years go by during which the sonic value of our initial investment appreciates by leaps and bounds … how does someone watch that happen, follow the continuous reactions online, and not want to jump in and take advantage?

Again, not wanting to give anyone grief … but why? What’s the rationale behind it?

I don’t mean for this to sound catty or critical … but I can’t help but wonder how someone lets five major firmware iterations go by unused and unexplored.

Even fractional iterations show off the care and creativity Cliff puts into the evolution of these amazing tools … an off-the-shelf Axe-FX is at the very beginning of its creative life. Years go by during which the sonic value of our initial investment appreciates by leaps and bounds … how does someone watch that happen, follow the continuous reactions online, and not want to jump in and take advantage?

Again, not wanting to give anyone grief … but why? What’s the rationale behind it?
If it does what you want it to then there may not big a big motivator.

Other times people may have hundreds of presets and no time to validate and adjust, or maybe they are in the midst of a tour or a recording project and needs things to be stable and not changing.

It's not that difficult to guess... :p
  • some people have a life and/or nerding out is not among their first priorities
  • if things already sound amazing you can avoid a potentially bothersome experience
  • some people have a whole range of very carefully tuned presets they need professionally and don't have time to address so many, or don't want to run the risk. They eventually may when it's really worth it or time allows.
  • if you're not an expert and an update really changes all your sounds, some may wanna stay where they are until curiosity kills the cat... ;)
  • etc.

Last edited:
Other times people may have hundreds of presets and no time to validate and adjust, or maybe they are in the midst of a tour or a recording project and needs things to be stable and not changing.

Yes, but it’s been over two years between v19 and today … that’s a long tour/project.

Yes, but it’s been over two years between v19 and today … that’s a long tour/project.
IIRC, our member steadystate here has an ongoing show in Vegas and for similar reasons is still on Axe-Fx II (or was for the longest time).

Another reason (in my case) might be if you have purchased presets. For example, austinbuddy may need months before your pack is updated, so if I update immediately I risk to lose the exact sound of many hundreds of presets (even though they are meant as ballpark, but you know what I mean).

Hi all, my Axe III is on firmware version 19, I have it at home today and thinking about updating it to the latest firmware 24.05
will this be ok or will my settings/sounds change dramatically?
the one thing I’m hoping that it will cure is the huge gap in sound when changing from my lead setting to the rhythm setting….
They will change. BUT for the better!

Back
Top Bottom