Most Axe Fx III's run in series, for one guitarist? Blow my mind....

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Want to know if there is someone who plugged multiple Axe Fx III's into each other for a crazy rig? There has to be the most absurd trial of this somewhere. I think back in day Dweezil did like 2 Axe Fx II's.

...but, technically in parallel, innit? ;)
I don't think so, he's feeding the first and second into the third via the SPDIF and applying "global" effects in the last FX3. Wouldn't parallel be each unit's outputs to a mixer?

The units are connected together via S/PDIF so everything stays in the digital domain:

Axe-FX A - strings 1 & 2 via inputs 3 & 4
Axe-FX B - strings 3 & 4 via inputs 3 & 4, strings 1 & 2 via S/PDIF in
Axe-FX C - strings 5 & 6 via inputs 3 & 4, strings 1, 2, 3, 4 via S/PDIF in

So Axe-FX C is the final output and a good place to apply global reverb and such.

I don't think so, he's feeding the first and second into the third via the SPDIF and applying "global" effects in the last FX3. Wouldn't parallel be each unit's outputs to a mixer?
That's a tough one to call, then. The outputs are each feeding the next unit serially instead of mixing at a mixer, but the inputs are coming in parallelly via the three sets of input 3 & 4....

Want to know if there is someone who plugged multiple Axe Fx III's into each other for a crazy rig? There has to be the most absurd trial of this somewhere. I think back in day Dweezil did like 2 Axe Fx II's.
Imagine programming it (I programmed it). We’d A/B fuzz pedals, multiple H9s, piezos, midi control strymons before tour. 2 axefxs

The spreadsheets I had to organize where each device and what preset it was switching to would put most accounting spreadsheets to shame.

But man, that sound standing in Dweezil’s spot on stage was incredible.

...but, technically in parallel, innit? ;)

The overall rig is whatever you want it to be. All three units are connected to Rane analog line mixer so they can be treated completely independently. They're also daisy chained via S/PDIF into one Axe-Fx III. Technically, I don't really need the mixer but it would be a royal PITA to have all presets require the additional IO routing for it to work.

Editing presets isn't as bad as you might think because the editor allows for three instances to be opened at one time and using the block library helps.

Back
Top Bottom