Get FC-6 for FM3 or just buy FM9?

wesleyamltd

Inspired
I use my FM3 as a desktop modeler in my home studio and have never used it as a floor unit. I would like a FC-6 for looping and scenes/preset switching but I’m not sure if the money would be better spent on a FM9 instead.
I’ve never used my FM3 as a floor unit, it has live on my desk since day one.
I’m not sure how often I would need to bend down to adjust stuff or scroll with a floor unit but if I got a FM9, it would live on the floor.

What are your thoughts, opinions on this terrible first world problem?

You mentioned it’s in your home studio. Why not use your DAW for “looping,” and FM3 edit on your studio computer for changing presets and scenes?
I don't open my DAW unless Im doing production stuff. I mainly use the FM3 for practice. I honestly have not tried to use the FM3 as a floor unit.

If you are happy with the FM3 and are not impacted by its DSP limitations and the absence of a second amp block etc., then get the FC-6.
I probably would rarely use an extra amp block if ever. I think my biggest concern is the FOBLO when it comes to higher quality fx processing. I am super happy with my FM3T and do want more foot switches but for the cost of a FC-6 I could buy a FM9 with the sale of the FM3T.

I probably would rarely use an extra amp block if ever. I think my biggest concern is the FOBLO when it comes to higher quality fx processing. I am super happy with my FM3T and do want more foot switches but for the cost of a FC-6 I could buy a FM9 with the sale of the FM3T.
And that's a perfectly good option also. It's good to have choices.

My thoughts:
  • If your FM3 is on the desk, assumedly because it's convenient, then the FM9 will take up 2x that physical space if it remains on the desk.
  • The FC6 adds an additional six foot-switches on its front and four foot-controller inputs and two dual-switch inputs on the back to what the FM3 can already do. Having those are very useful. The FM9 doesn't have the same compliment of control inputs so read up on the two systems if expandability is an interest to you. I can do what I want with the FM9, which is have two foot controllers attached if I want, but so can the FM3+FC6
  • My units are within reach when I'm at my desk but require bending or stretching, and I use Edit for most of my editing and adjustments, but there are still times I have to access the front-panel, which means I'm sitting on the floor when working with the FM9 until I can move back to the desk.
  • The FM9 is my main choice when I play out, not because of its power but because it's mounted on my pedal board to protect its backplane. My FM3+FC6 is my choice when we're traveling because it's so convenient and flexible, and it takes so little space when on a plane/train/automobile.
  • Regarding the FX3: It's a wondrous beast but it seems like it's solving problems you don't have. Plus you'd still have to buy an FC for it if you wanted to be able to conveniently switch presets/scenes/etc. And, if you ever want to travel with it you'll want some sort of rack to protect it.
I guess it comes down to flexibility and easy access vs. CPU power. If you're happy with the sounds you get and want more controllers get the FC6. If you want more powerful presets and can live with the consumed acreage or letting it live on the floor then get the FM9.

Either would be good, I have an FM3 , has also sat on my deck at my home studio, I picked up the fc-6 used at my favorite music store, love it . Use it pretty simply, couple scenes ,effects ,tuner. When I can an axe3 . My 2 cents

I don't open my DAW unless Im doing production stuff. I mainly use the FM3 for practice. I honestly have not tried to use the FM3 as a floor unit.
I have the Axe 3 In my live rig and a FM3/FC6 next to my bed.
My DAW only closes to reboot the PC every few days.
Use the looper in your DAW. That way you can save the loops.
I'll probably use the FM3/FC6 combo for gigs going forward.

You can also choose a cheaper midi controler.
And as you’re not playing live and it’s on your desk you could just buy a thing like a Akai mpc.

My thoughts:
Thanks, Greg for thoughtful response. I really have to come to terms with my wants over my needs. I think the best thing for me would be the FC-6 rather than the FM9. However, that additional power and the fact that it is one solid modular unit does have its sway. I will be going over the specs for sure. The good/bad thing is that if I choose FM9, I'll have to wait, so maybe I'll get the FC-6 in the mean time.

I don't need the power of the AFX3 for most gigs. In fact, I dont even need the FC6. I don't use alot of presets. I don't try to mimick the tones of other players.
I generally have clean and not clean. Easy enough.
I feel similar about tones. I like clean, break up, distorted dry and epic lead.

You could also consider a midi controller to do the switching at a lot lower cost. There are a few threads here discussing options for this

Last edited:
Porque no los dos?
20240101_224106.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom