FM3 experiences

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
As I'm working abroad for a while, I have no access to my Axe-Fx and FM9. But I did bring the FM3 (Turbo) with me.

Playing a couple of gigs required me to delve into the FM3 ecosystem again, and make choices regarding sound, switches and CPU.

And what a capable unit it has proven to be.
A single preset takes me through 35 cover songs.

Here are some takeaways from my 'journey'. Moral: simplify, make music, have fun.
  1. The preset below takes up 78% CPU.
  2. I started off using more than one amp type (Fender, Plexi etc.). After a while, I just cut it down to a single amp: the venerable Deluxe Verb, and combine it with drive pedals. It's simple, less switches need to be programmed, easy to remember and consistent.
  3. The stock 1x12 Deluxe Verb DynaCab is somewhat dark. I recall reading that Fractal's amp doesn't have the original speaker but not sure about that. Use the 2x10 6G4 DynaCab instead!
  4. To save CPU, try Drive types that use the least amount of CPU (link). Inspired by the Greg Wells GoT preset, I am using the FET Boost (favorite from the old days) for clean boosting. And Shimmer Drive for OD tasks. Shimmer Drive tip: crank Level first, then dial in the desired amount of gain. Another tip: if you want the boost without the overall level increase, decrease the Mix value.
  5. As you can see I'm using two Send/Return pairs in the preset. This way I can see the entire preset layout on the hardware display, without needing to zoom out.
  6. On the FM3 you can use two IRs in the Cab block without an impact on CPU usage. I don't like mixing different cabs, but I do like using two mics on a cab, currently Dynamic 1 and Ribbon.
  7. One of the GEQ blocks and the Multiband Compressor (and a channel in the Cab block) are dedicated to acoustic simulation. I get excellent results using @fremen's Acoustic pack, even with my cheap Steinberger Spirit. If you don't need this simulation, much more CPU power will be available when deleting the Multiband Compressor.
  8. Chorus is Dimension 1 because it sounds the most like pitch detune without wobble, Flanger is Electric Mistress.
  9. My most current discovery is the Chamber reverb type. This type seems a little overlooked over the years, it's not mentioned often. I'm using the Medium Chamber type with a bit of predelay. It creates a really nice environment and works well with electric and acoustic guitar tone.
  10. Finally, be smart when programming the switches. So much is possible when doing so, for example by combining scenes and views. I've brought an additional dual-button external switch and I'm not even using it.

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-25 om 21.24.18.png

Last edited:
Tease!

im reading fr a phone.....as im reading im thinking ohhh this is going to be a great preset to learn from. then i get to the bottm andddd....no preset atrached! lol

ya got me!

Can’t do that because Fremen ‘s stuff is integrated. The preset itself isn’t that special.

It's a fantastic little device, I'm besotted with it. Yes I'm down on foot switches coming from the Helix but even so, the tones are worth it.
Complex presets might be a challenge, but if we get gapless switching between presets, I can't see too many limitations.

I just chime in for
the venerable Deluxe Verb

I thought I was more on the high gain side of the amps... but later on in a trio I'm using the Deluxe Verb to go from clean to really dirt (using 2 dist blocks) gapless...
I really like the sound and the feeling

Reactions: yek
Thanks for this Yek! I've just set up a new gig preset based on this framework.

Using the Send/Returns like this gave me the idea to attach my expression pedal to the return level on the first Return block, which means I don't need to add a dedicated volume block.

Back
Top Bottom