Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

Aeser

Inspired
Wondering as a lot of people have expressed referring legacy cab IR's in their AFX's but since I even discovered them I've been sold on Dyna-Cabs. Wondering what you prefer and why?

The Dyna-Cabs are obviously much fewer and further between but they have everything I generally would want to use and are flexible as hell, and i kind of like there not being thousands of them to sort through.

But wondering what it is about the legacy cabs peopel like?

Thanks!

People tend to stick with the familiar. Personally, I prefer DynaCabs -- not only for the flexibility you mention but because I find it easier to move the mic to a sweet spot than to go back and forth comparing IRs. Many pro players, techs, and engineers I've been working with are agreeing with me.

I'm with you 100%, I detest scrolling through 1000s of IRs, Dynacabs for me are a great solution, I pick the size of cab I want, Loop a guitar part, move the mic to where I like it, and bingo job done, it's enjoyable moving the mics, much better than scrolling IRs that you go deaf to after 10 choices anyway.

People tend to stick with the familiar. Personally, I prefer DynaCabs -- not only for the flexibility you mention but because I find it easier to move the mic to a sweet spot than to go back and forth comparing IRs. Many pro players, techs, and engineers I've been working with are agreeing with me.
As someone who has rarely mic'd a cab in real world, I agree with you as well.
And I must add that it's even easier than with a real cab cuz you don't need to find a way to isolate your ears from the direct sound of the cab while moving the mic.

• graphic mic placement (no list scrolling).
  • automated SIC.
  • extended mic placement range, ultrarez, and mixing capability via cablab4 for a given dynacab.
  • consistency and simplification of naming and organization via the automated graphic selection.
  • though legacy is a hi-quality cab library imo, it has always felt like a bit of a hodgepodge to me, of mixed IRs from various IR makers. Dynacab is, imo, a more carefully planned, consistent, streamlined approach.
Some say DCs are generally lacking tonally in some frequencies to the extent of making them unusable. To each their own I guess, but I don't hear it beyond the very subtle (if I could ever hear it with my T ears) nuance, of what a mic pre choice might impart, I've not seen any kind of apples to apples A/B test effort that could confirm a significant magniude of such percieved overall difficiencies. So I'd recommend trying them out regardless - we have both so there's no downside really.

Last edited:
There are some good legacy cabs, but I find I'm using them more as reference for Dyna Cabs and CabLab. The few legacy cabs that I did like are a baseline for creating a DynaCab mix "improved" version. It's also much easier and quicker to move the mic around than scrolling through banks of cabs as others have said.

I want to love DynaCabs and I regularly come back to them to try them again. But I just can’t bond with them. I have found sounds that are ok, but not great.

They sound scooped to me. The low end and top end is good, but there’s no mids and no punch.

I sometimes wonder if something went wrong during import, because many people swear by them. But I think it’s just me not getting along with them.

The weird thing is that I love Fractal Audio legacy IRs, so this is not a bias against fractal audio.

Try legacy IR: “Factory bank 2 - no. 801 - 4x12 Recto 57 B - FAS”. Might be my favorite V30 IR of all time.

dyna cab. i found a setting i like and dont really change it anymore. i do sanity tests and check my old ml irs against it but always switch back

Like many users I have thousands of user cabs easy and I have only ever used the same 3-4 go to's. That being said, I still have FOMO for all the cab packs from 3rd party vendors I could buy. Its a sickness. I'll buy them and still just use the same 3-4 IR's. Though I have recently started using dynacabs. very late to the party and like others' have mentioned...wow. It's just so easy to dial stuff in now.

The vast majority of my presets are still using legacy cabs. They work and I've seen no reason to change them. My newer presets have been a toss-up...some are legacy and some are using Dyna-Cabs. I'll usually play around for a bit with Dyna-Cabs when creating a new preset, but if I can't cook something up pretty quickly, I'll just fall back to one of my tried and true legacy cabs, like Leon's TV Mix 2.

The Fractal wiki says they are ultra rez... or is it just refering to the new cab packs? View attachment 133490
Sounds like just the new cab packs. It says 2048 for the axe fx 3. My understanding at the time dynacabs were released was they were not ultrares because of how much memory that would use.

This has really piqued my curiosity… I might have to try out the packs and cab lab to see how they sound in ultrares. I remember liking ultra more than regular back in the Axe-FX 2 days when it was first introduced, although I don’t know how much I was hearing the resolution vs other differences in the IRs.

Edit: I just looked at the online store and it says 2048 for the dyna cab pack. I am thinking that wiki has incorrect info?
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/dynacab-pack-4x12-1960tv/

Last edited:
I am a recent convert to Dynacabs. I’ve been really liking the Ribbon mic at max distance. Very natural, amp-in-the-room sound without the unnatural girth that close-mic’ing tends to add. Traditional IRs are generally close mic’d, so dynacabs let me do something that I otherwise might not be able to do.

I also like the consistency of being able to have the exact same mic, preamp, and distance with different cabs, which should help keep amp/cab changes from being overly jarring for live use.

Back
Top Bottom