Fractal Plexi vs. UA Lion 68

rrhoads17

Inspired
Has anyone got to try the UAFX Lion 68 pedal? If so, how did it compare to the Super Lead Plexi in the Fractal?

I had one for 2 days and returned it. It was very noisy and almost impossible to connect to the Bluetooth from the app.

Cliff posted some trueRTA graphs of these pedals awhile back. Worse aliasing performance than the fractal stuff but they do sound good. $400 for 3 amp models vs. 300+ from Fractal, plus all the effects, midi, better I/O and routing, etc. Not a hard decision imo unless you are content with the cost and limitations of a pedalboard and only need Marshall amps. UA makes good stuff but it’s very overhyped and overpriced.

Last edited:
Tried it at my local store. Sounded great. Was able to get a great sound really fast.
Used to be a Marshall guy as a teenager. Since getting the Axe I have not really gelled with them.
I may actually get the Lion.
Didn't use the app with the Lion but did when I was there to try the OX stomp. Had no issue with the bluetooth.
Their new update to the app may have solved the issue.

Last edited:
Tried it at my local store. Sounded great. Was able to get a great sound really fast.
Used to be a Marshall guy as a teenager. Since getting the Axe I have not really gelled with them.
I may actually get the Lion.
Didn't use the app with the Lion but did when I was there to try the OX stomp. Had no issue with the bluetooth.
Their new update to the app may have solved the issue.
Do you have an axe3 running the latest firmware with the updated amps?

Tried it in a store through a similar studio monitor system I use at home, so no direct comparison.

UA Lion sounds fine, but IMO there is nothing you can't get out of a Fractal product or even a Strymon Iridium + 3rd party IRs.

To me the different amps weren't that useful and I liked maybe one or two of the cab sims. This would have been a helluva lot better pedal as a JTM45/Superlead/JCM800 box but in classic UA fashion they keep shooting themselves in the foot with the feature set. Too expensive, too limited.

To me the different amps weren't that useful and I liked maybe one or two of the cab sims. This would have been a helluva lot better pedal as a JTM45/Superlead/JCM800 box but in classic UA fashion they keep shooting themselves in the foot with the feature set. Too expensive, too limited.

Yep. And don’t forget that the UA Lion is also a modeler pedal that doesn’t have presets and isn’t MIDI controllable. So if you ever use it live, you better hope that you only need exactly one sound from it and nothing else.

Yes, and same as with OX Stomp - the Lion was send back..
LION sounds good OK, pretty much alike FAS Marshalls , after tweaking - not better then my FM3 and liked only to use the
LEAD - after some more tweaking lined in FM3 using the effects and IR loaded CAB getting the brain 'Lioned' -
I switched back 1987Treble in FM3 4 the 'sound difference'.... same same preferred FAS like 5-3 win in a Hockey game feeling : )
so for me getting '1 sound ' for the price and not better for home use - a No brainer - Rrrrreturn to sender.

btw used the app -ghost notes and the Bright Cap - interview S.W. I think he said to be sim a 100pF value ON/OFF function -
liked both ON -

Last edited:
I actually got the Lion just to try it, and the app simply wouldn’t connect to my iPhone, which is apparently a big problem right now. It’s virtually useless to me because I need the editor for some of the features. Also, the sounds I tinkered with using the knobs don’t sound as good as Fractal’s Plexi models. Will be returning the Lion and sticking with my FM3. The people that complain about Fractal’s UI need to try the junk that UA pushes out!

FWIW - short riffing - REC 1987x Treble vs UA Lion Lead mp3-out recorded in DAW -
block change at same position in effect chain.
Using the UA Lion app 'ghost tone' and ' bright cap' ON said interview as 100pF if I dont remind wrong
I returned the UA Lion - ( as I also did with UA OX Stomp same reason - cant beat the Fractal IMO)

AND the APP software is SH*T - connection part Bluetooth - a tip if using it IP keep screen ALWAYS ON
since my disconnected App when screen sleep after 1 min -
and dragging sliders at a screen not seeing values ' just about something...'

the sound I preferred using 'Lead' was in my ears pretty much 'same same' vs FM3 -
and for my 'no gigs' playing home and one trick pony use return to sender.

It's OK good sound but an economic would maybe see it as 400 bucks / 3 amp sim pedal cost in FM3. would tell the value difference ; )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom