Cab Block IR Length

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I had a question (forgive me if I overlooked this in the wiki). What is the max length IR that Fractal supports? It just had me thinking about the IR Length setting in the cab block that says "MAX".

I had a question (forgive me if I overlooked this in the wiki). What is the max length IR that Fractal supports? It just had me thinking about the IR Length setting in the cab block that says "MAX".
It depends on the type of IR loaded.
If it's fullres it is 64000 samples (1.33 seconds), ultrares 8000 samples (170 ms but frequency dependent), high-res 2048 samples and normal-res 1024 samples

Got ya! SO, I mostly use York Audio, and I know that his IRs are 500ms. So how does that work out? If I set it to 1024, I would probably be losing a little information, whereas if I set it to the MAX setting, then I would get the full 500ms?

500ms * 48 = 24000 samples
I guess that you'd get the full 500ms when using MAX, import it at fullres because it's over 8000 samples.

The question remains: "What is the max length IR that Fractal supports?"

Surely it's 64000 samples (1.33 seconds) FULLres being the max supported length.

Last edited:
I do wonder if I drag and drop a 50ms IR into the cab block does it get converted to Normal Res 20 ms or HighRes 40 ms in the AX3?

It says in the wiki that HighRes is discontinued but still supported.

Havent tested myself as I don’t have an IR of greater than 40 ms but less than 170 ms

If you drag'n'drop a 500 ms IR, it will be truncated to a 170 ms long UltraRes IR. York Audio (and most other) also delivers IRs that are tailored to the Fractal ecosystem.

I do wonder if I drag and drop a 50ms IR into the cab block does it get converted to Normal Res 20 ms or HighRes 40 ms in the AX3?

It says in the wiki that HighRes is discontinued but still supported.

Havent tested myself as I don’t have an IR of greater than 40 ms but less than 170 ms
It depends on the Cabinet Import settings in Preferences . Normal will create a 2K sample IR (about 40ms). UltraRes will create an UltraRes IR (about 170ms).

Normal will create a 2K sample IR (about 40ms)
I don't know if it's a bug or intended to be this way, but on the fm9 normal creates a 1024 samples IR, as opposed to what happens on the axe fx. Could we get that on the fm9 as well please, if possible?

I don't know if it's a bug or intended to be this way, but on the fm9 normal creates a 1024 samples IR, as opposed to what happens on the axe fx. Could we get that on the fm9 as well please, if possible?
FM3/9 only support 1K samples for normal IRs since the IR processing is handled by a coprocessor whose max. length is 1K samples.

FM3/9 only support 1K samples for normal IRs since the IR processing is handled by a coprocessor whose max. length is 1K samples.
Got it, I thought it was the same as the ax8 which supported 2k, despite running them on an accelerator too... but it looks like analog devices downgraded those on these newer DSPs

It depends on the Cabinet Import settings in Preferences . Normal will create a 2K sample IR (about 40ms). UltraRes will create an UltraRes IR (about 170ms).
Do you change this setting depending on the IR length when importing? Would it be best to always import as UltraRes so you have the option to set the length in the cab block? I’ve wondered about this. I mostly use York, so I wondered how that works since his are 500ms.

Back
Top Bottom