Looper Timing Issues

I actually found with the looper on the FM9, although, if you have a hold / secondary function assigned to the RECORD switch your loop will not loop correctly. Not sure if the OP is having this issue as well. I have not tested this one the A3 - drove me nuts for a long time thinking my timing was off...can this get changed?
Not sure if this is different from what was discussed above in this thread, but yes having a hold function on Record or Play, the timing can be off because the switch is determining if you are tapping or holding.

Do not put a Hold function on the Record or Play switches.

Not sure if this is different from what was discussed above in this thread, but yes having a hold function on Record or Play, the timing can be off because the switch is determining if you are tapping or holding.

Do not put a Hold function on the Record or Play switches.
Right...I am not sure if this is documented but it could be nice change it if possible or somehow "disable it" as a feature. It might have inadvertently got assigned and I was not aware until....warble and crash occurred.

That is not an an expected affect of having a hold function... The expected issue would be timing only.
I mean I would have never thought that would have happened since I never a glitch with a hold function happen prior. And just as an aside I test putting a hold function on record and play and the function work perfectly....so it seems maybe just fixing it would make sense. I know a lot of folks don't use the looper....so maybe it has never been addressed. It does also happen on any device as I tested that as well.

I mean I would have never thought that would have happened since I never a glitch with a hold function happen prior. And just as an aside I test putting a hold function on record and play and the function work perfectly....so it seems maybe just fixing it would make sense. I know a lot of folks don't use the looper....so maybe it has never been addressed. It does also happen on any device as I tested that as well.
The timing of Record and Play are going to abide by the way they are described in the manual. The Tempo is the only exception. I took what you said earlier to mean that the Record was not executing properly as opposed to the timing not being as expected.

The "Hold Function Mode" with the "SWITCH UP" option was added to accommodate timing issues with functions such as Record. It does, of course, require said command to be assigned as a hold function.

Would be great to have a global loop setting to remove the hold function wherever the record and play buttons are assigned to.

The timing of Record and Play are going to abide by the way they are described in the manual. The Tempo is the only exception. I took what you said earlier to mean that the Record was not executing properly as opposed to the timing not being as expected.

The "Hold Function Mode" with the "SWITCH UP" option was added to accommodate timing issues with functions such as Record. It does, of course, require said command to be assigned as a hold function.
Right I understand but in the case of the looper and more importantly the record/play buttons it is all about the timing vs say an effect change or scene change. It is next to impossible to use the feature-and that I would intentionally have a hold function on my looper record butt but as I sad it inadvertently got added and really there is no reason for it on this particular block since it would be impossible to use correctly. Some novice folks might assign something here and think their looping is in correct. Heck it happened to me by mistake so why not eliminate it unless it can’t be then it is moot.

Right I understand but in the case of the looper and more importantly the record/play buttons it is all about the timing vs say an effect change or scene change. It is next to impossible to use the feature-and that I would intentionally have a hold function on my looper record butt but as I sad it inadvertently got added and really there is no reason for it on this particular block since it would be impossible to use correctly. Some novice folks might assign something here and think their looping is in correct. Heck it happened to me by mistake so why not eliminate it unless it can’t be then it is moot.
Or if all that doesn’t work maybe a simple line in the manual stating a hold function on record/play is not advisable.

What @Admin M@ said is correct. The tempo will be timed on the down action of the switch, regardless of a hold function or not.
Strange I have this timing issue, then. I have tried different buttons, including external stand in switches. The tap just seems off. Maybe its my foot. First world problems.

Or if all that doesn’t work maybe a simple line in the manual stating a hold function on record/play is not advisable.
It doesn't use that exact wording, but the Fractal Footswitch Functions Guide does state:

"For the tightest timing, use Looper controls as the Tap function of a switch with no Hold function." (Page 15)

Strange I have this timing issue, then. I have tried different buttons, including external stand in switches. The tap just seems off. Maybe its my foot. First world problems.
Did you try the "Last Two" option for tap tempo as Chris mentioned above?

I had some similar problems with switch behavior a month ago (or something like that)

After consulting the forum and getting much needed help, I found out that the built in dual press hold for the master layout was the sinner. I turned it off in the menu on the unit, and have been looping in time since!

I'm using a new FM9T (which I LOVE), but it's a related Looper issue.

I mistakenly assigned a Hold function to a Looper Play switch in a Per-Preset layout, and now the Looper Record function still activates on release of the Record switch, even after removing the Hold function from the Play switch.

It also happens on other presets, if I try and make the same switches Record and Play (switches 3 and 4), and never assign a Hold function.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm using a new FM9T (which I LOVE), but it's a related Looper issue.

I mistakenly assigned a Hold function to a Looper Play switch in a Per-Preset layout, and now the Looper Record function still activates on release of the Record switch, even after removing the Hold function from the Play switch.

It also happens on other presets, if I try and make the same switches Record and Play (switches 3 and 4), and never assign a Hold function.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
you can't have anything on the Hold switch, including Per-Preset Placeholders that don't have a function set in PP. the hold function has to say Unassigned.

What @Admin M@ said is correct. The tempo will be timed on the down action of the switch, regardless of a hold function or not.

On my Axe III and FC-12, If a hold function is assigned, it times on the release of the switch when using Last Two mode for the tap tempo. I'm on 20.04 and 1.12 FW's respectively, but it's done it this way for quite a few FW versions before.

To test, I set the hold timeout to 2 seconds to avoid triggering the hold function (my Hold Function Mode is set to Timeout). I can tap repeatedly at roughly 120 BMP and on the last tap, hold the switch for about a second or so then release and the tempo I get is around 40 to 60 BPM and NOT around 120. If it was timing by the down it should give me roughly 120 BPM as that's rate at which the presses are happening.

If I remove the hold function, it does indeed time on the down and ignores the release as expected.

Last edited:
On my Axe III and FC-12, If a hold function is assigned, it times on the release of the switch when using Last Two mode for the tap tempo. I'm on 20.04 and 1.12 FW's respectively, but it's done it this way for quite a few FW versions before.

To test, I set the hold timeout to 2 seconds to avoid triggering the hold function (my Hold Function Mode is set to Timeout). I can tap repeatedly at roughly 120 BMP and on the last tap, hold the switch for about a second or so then release and the tempo I get is around 40 to 60 BPM and NOT around 120. If it was timing by the down it should give me roughly 120 BPM as that's rate at which the presses are happening.

If I remove the hold function, it does indeed time on the down and ignores the release as expected.
I can confirm that the tap tempo is affected by an underlying hold function.

Gear
AXE FX3 MkII, firmware 20.04
FC-12 MkII, firmware 1.12

Settings AXE FX3
Hold function timeout: 2 sec
Hold function mode: timeout
Tap tempo: average

Settings FC-12
Tap: Tap tempo
Hold: Delay 2 (not in preset)

Procedure
I set a metronome to 110 BPM and consider clicks as 1/8th notes.
a) I press the switch on the 1rst, 3rd, 5th and 7th click for two bars, while I lift the switch on the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th click.
b) Then for two bars, I move the lift forward half a click (on the 1/16 note between the 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8).
a) as a above
b) as b above
I do this without interuptions. This gives an unsteady BPM at around 55 BPM. I gets most unstable when I switch between a and b and back again.

If I disable the hold function, I get a steady BPM at around 55 BPM when following the same procedure.

Conclusion
When no hold function is programmed, the tap tempo follows the press. When a hold function is programmed, the tap tempo appears to follow the lift.

Back
Top Bottom