In-ear monitoring

Yes, definitely need a separate headphone amp with the axe fx if your headphones/IEMs have less than 35 ohm impedance. Otherwise, you can’t get much volume before it starts distorting.
Do you guys have maybe other in-ear preamps that could do the job, since the shure have only a wireless set up.
thanks

Just wanna make sure I've got this right, I'm getting ready to buy a Shure pm300 setup. As long as I'm running my FM3 into the transmitter, I should be okay with the impedance, right? Or will I need to put a headphone amp between them? I was planning on running my FM3 into one side of the transmitter and a monitor feed in the other. Or is there a better way? This is all for live use only.

You're welcome. I suspected you were experiencing overdriving and/or an impedance mismatch from the Axe-FX III's headphone output. It's a very common issue when using IEMs which have a low impedance (SE846 are 9ohm) with modelers or interfaces which often have headphone output impedances that are relatively high (AX3 is 35ohm). That works well with high impedance headphones (i.e. >250ohm) but will cause issues with IEMs or other low impedance headphones. Ideally you want your headphone amp to have as low an output impedance as possible in order to be "compatible" with as many headphones as possible. In my home studio I use the RNHP which has an output impedance of <1ohm while still providing tons of power, great for my Ollo S4X and Audeze LCD-X headphones. Likewise, the Shure P9R+ IEM receiver has an output impedance of <2.5ohms which is why your IEMs sounded better with it (other top tier Shure receivers have low output impedances as well, if you were using the P10R+ for example).
Wondering, is the 900 what is needed for decent sounds , with transmitter into axe effects or would the 300 be decent? Or would you highly recommend a no on the 300? Not sure how to go into this rabbit hole. Regards

Just wanna make sure I've got this right, I'm getting ready to buy a Shure pm300 setup. As long as I'm running my FM3 into the transmitter, I should be okay with the impedance, right? Or will I need to put a headphone amp between them? I was planning on running my FM3 into one side of the transmitter and a monitor feed in the other. Or is there a better way? This is all for live use only.

When you feed your FM3 (or any electronic device) into a wireless transmitter you use a line-level output, not a headphone output. This thread is about directly powering headphones/IEMs from the “headphone out” jack of the device.

Wondering, is the 900 what is needed for decent sounds , with transmitter into axe effects or would the 300 be decent? Or would you highly recommend a no on the 300? Not sure how to go into this rabbit hole. Regards

Will the 900 provide better sound than the 300? Of course it will. Will the 900 have fewer audible digital artifacts than the 300? Of course it will. Does the 900 cost more than the 300? Of course it does.

Just like with Fractal products vs other brands — you get what you pay for.

When you feed your FM3 (or any electronic device) into a wireless transmitter you use a line-level output, not a headphone output. This thread is about directly powering headphones/IEMs from the “headphone out” jack of the device.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

This will work but it's important to note that this is can only take a mono signal from a single XLR. Using IEMs with a mono monitor feed is rough.

300 is fine. There are many, many other variables that will have a far greater impact on your IEM experience than using the 900/1000 over the 300. For example, running your guitar in stereo (with the enhancer block), panning the other instruments properly, having compression and verb on vocals and drums, using a quality console with a qualified engineer, etc. I will say that monitoring from a digico console run by a quality monitor engineer thru a psm1000 and P10R+ receiver truly is an incredible experience, but is only possible with very high budgets.

Do you guys have maybe other in-ear preamps that could do the job, since the shure have only a wireless set up.
I'm assuming this is for home use. IMO your money would be much better spent upgrading your headphones rather than trying to buy a headphone amp to use with lower impedance headphones. IMO by far the best headphones for this purpose under $500 are Ollo S4X. They work well with Fractal's headphone amps and have an unbelievable sound for the price. Beyerdynamic and all the other common cheaper headphone recommendations you see on here just don't keep up in this price range.

Last edited:
This will work but it's important to note that this is can only take a mono signal from a single XLR. Using IEMs with a mono monitor feed is rough.

300 is fine. There are many, many other variables that will have a far greater impact on your IEM experience than using the 900/1000 over the 300. For example, running your guitar in stereo (with the enhancer block), panning the other instruments properly, having compression and verb on vocals and drums, using a quality console with a qualified engineer, etc. I will say that monitoring from a digico console run by a quality monitor engineer thru a psm1000 and P10R+ receiver truly is an incredible experience, but is only possible with very high budgets.
Do have a rundown on your IEM setup for live use? I'm taking my time, asking a lot of questions, and doing some research to make sure the experience is a good one and not a good enough to get by one.

Do have a rundown on your IEM setup for live use? I'm taking my time, asking a lot of questions, and doing some research to make sure the experience is a good one and not a good enough to get by one.
It depends where I'm playing but on this tour that just wrapped we are running an allen+heath console for monitors into PSM300 transmitters, i.e. nothing super top of the line. Don't remember the receiver model numbers off the top of my head but they also aren't top of the line. Just like with guitar tones, once you have some decent gear, heavy diminishing marginal returns sets in and getting better gear becomes a lot less important than knowing how to properly use what you have. Mixing IEMs is like mixing a song in the studio. If you're just hearing all the drums and vocals dry and straight off the pres it really is just a terrible experience. But when done right it's like playing along with mixed album recording and is an absolute pleasure.

if you give me the name of the models of your headphones I'll try to do the same for those
Do you know where I may be able to find settings for WestOne Audio UM Pro 50's? I am new to the IEM thing, and have been wondering why something in this price range would have hiss. I understand a lot more now that I have read through this thread ;~)) Thanks for any light you can shed on this! Axe III is supposed to be arriving on the 29th, and I can't wait to use the IEM's with it (they have 45 Ohm impedance so should be ok from what I have read here)!

Do you know where I may be able to find settings for WestOne Audio UM Pro 50's? I am new to the IEM thing, and have been wondering why something in this price range would have hiss. I understand a lot more now that I have read through this thread ;~)) Thanks for any light you can shed on this! Axe III is supposed to be arriving on the 29th, and I can't wait to use the IEM's with it (they have 45 Ohm impedance so should be ok from what I have read here)!
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...inacle/harman_in-ear_2019v2/Westone UM Pro 50

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that!! I had bummed around that repository, but was not finding the UM Pro 50!!! Happy Holidays and thanks for taking the time to help out my "challenged" brain!!!!

I'm using molded Ultimate Ears UE7s and a Shure PSM900. I don't know if this will add anything to the conversation, but here goes: I use studio monitors to dial things in, then play along with a few studio recordings to verify that it sounds natural and fits in a mix. Next I check the result through a Turbosound TFX122m-an 12" wedge. I send Out 1 to my ears and Out 2 to FOH. For the wedge, I found I needed little notches at 1K, 2K and 4K, paying close attention to not wreck the presence of the amp/cab, and that has thusfar translated well to FOH...PAs our bands use range between Db tech arrays, Turbosound Siena, and EV EKX-15P for the top cabs. Those subtle cuts (deepest is 1.5K with narrow Q) seem to do the trick. My IEM eq is basically flat with a little lift in the high end. The final touch to this is a Shure PM4 line mixer (four channels with pan on each), using one channel for the band mix and one for the AxeFXIII (the PM4 channels pass through, so I use that to send my guitar to FOH). So the chain is AxeFX and bandmix into PM4, stereo into the PSM900. I pan the band slightly left and guitar slightly right...really helps with clarity and also does a pretty good job of mimicking what I heard without IEMs for so many years! IMG_6643.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ … and that’s how the big kids do it. Thanks for the xlnt description of a pro-level rig set up thoughtfully — bet it sounds great and works reliably every show.

Thanks...hahaha, not a "big kid" but definitely a fanatic. I should add that the end result is a little thinner than I'd find a "amp in the room" but that's what makes it fit in the mix...not competing with with other stuff as much as possible. Kinda harder to stay out of keys and vocals territory, but essential to stay out of bass and kick. And fwiw, yes, I can work with whatever monitor mix I'm given and generally just follow the rule that if there's an imbalance turn something DOWN rather than the other thing up. With only two knobs (band and guitar), even my simple lil pea brain can get it right!

That's actually what I've been doing...though all the gear is different, and I'm very much a bedroom wanker when it comes to guitar.

I played with sending backing tracks or whatever from a separate out into input 2 and using my FM3 as the mixer with a really cheap transmitter plugged into the headphone out. But...I decided to go the other way and just monitor through a low-latency version of my normal Reaper session that I use as a monitor controller (the "normal" one uses linear phase crossovers for my subs, so it's far from low-latency).

It works just great with a 128-sample buffer. The latency is just enough to be noticeable if I listen for it, but it doesn't actually bother me. I can at least still play so it sounds in time.

The FM3 signal goes through a mild but crazy fast-attack compressor and a little more reverb (which I don't want to record and wouldn't want to send to FOH but like listening to), then the headphone signal goes through an EQ to taste (mostly a tilt), GoodHz CanOpener to make it sound stereo rather than binaural, and dither.

I should try panning a bit to separate my guitar from the "band mix". That's a fun idea.

I'm not sure how I would adapt this setup to a stage rig without monitoring through a DAW, but that's mostly because of CanOpener.

Back
Top Bottom