Will AX8-Edit for Mac updated to 64-bit on OS X?

Good question. Seems to still work fine for me, but I do get a notice from the OS that it needs an update.

Just now it's a warning dialog. At some point, maybe 10.15 or later they won't launch. We know more at the WWDC 2019 conference.

Actually, thanks for that web link, it's black in white that 10.14 is the last MacOSX that runs 32-bit apps. Explains why they stopped support for Aperture (hehe, I know the 32-bit issues in Aperture...). From the page:

At our Worldwide Developers Conference in 2018, Apple informed developers that macOS Mojave is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.

Actually, thanks for that web link, it's black in white that 10.14 is the last MacOSX that runs 32-bit apps. Explains why they stopped support for Aperture (hehe, I know the 32-bit issues in Aperture...). From the page:

At our Worldwide Developers Conference in 2018, Apple informed developers that macOS Mojave is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.
Also from that page:

When will the 64-bit transition be complete?

The 64-bit transition for macOS and macOS apps is still underway, so final transition dates have not yet been established. But now is a good time to check with the software developer to see if 64-bit versions of your favorite titles are available.

So no dates yet. Mojave could survive for a few more years yet.

Mojave will be around of course (most likely for 5+ years or more), but 10.15 will not have 32-bit support and knowing Apple HW requirements new devices won't support 10.14. Plus end users are keen to upgrade, bug fixes, new features, security fixing where Mojave will get those security fixes for NN months and then that's it.

As luck would have it, it seems like I may have timed things quite badly.....

I purchased my AX8 new from Fractal towards the end of last year......I was completely unaware of the EOL concerns, and I did not anticipate the unit so quickly becoming out-dated.

I am also on a Mac platform for my home computer, and my current computer is getting on in years -- I am not sure how much longer it will last. I am now wondering if I am going to find myself in the position where -- when I purchase a new computer at some point in the future -- the new computer will not run AX Edit? That could suck.

I guess for me, the lesson for the future is simply to plan ahead for the EOL of not just the modeler itself, but also consider the computer/software platform used to interact with it.

Back
Top Bottom