Trying to Get A Clean THICKER Guitar Tone (AK) (going from thin tone to thinker or fuller tone)

Bcraig

Inspired
Hi folks,
I am using a Mexican Strat with single coils
I was wondering how many ways can I get a thinker or fuller or fatter sound from my thin sounding pickups?

I wondering how others have approached this same problem?

If all of your patches sound thin, it might be the guitar. Maybe try raising the pickups closer to the strings?

Usually when I hear someone describe their tone as "thin" I think more treble than bass or mids. Maybe try putting a PEQ block as the first block and lowering the higher, trebly frequencies.

If all of your patches sound thin, it might be the guitar. Maybe try raising the pickups closer to the strings?

Usually when I hear someone describe their tone as "thin" I think more treble than bass or mids. Maybe try putting a PEQ block as the first block and lowering the higher, trebly frequencies.

That a good point but no I tried it on other Clean Tones Fractal presets and got those fuller tones
But I am trying to create one from scratch

I will try this PEQ Block in first I need to learn about it and how to use it thanks

It's always difficult to convey in words exactly what one means concerning tone. As others have mentioned, "thin" often means lacking in lows and low mids, and/or too much brittle highs. So, possibly, EQ-ing the tone you've got with that in mind could help.
That said, I've recently discovered the Shiva (Shiver) Clean amp model, which is warmer and less "thin" than the Fender models I previously had been using. Check that out, and see if it helps...

Try a Lonestar Clean channel.
Use a compressor at the start of the chain. I use a nice 12ms attack, maybe 60ms release. Turn the volume up on the compressor if you want a bit more umph going into the amp.
Tame the highs with the presence control and treble. Don’t be scared to turn them down somewhere around 3.5-5 if need be.
Stick n optical compressor on the end of the chain doing on a really small bit of compression.

Do you have a song or recording that sounds 'thick' to you for reference?

Cuz we're all just going to be guessing what could be the matter

Post a clip of how it sounds and a link to a song you want it to sound like

Some amps sound thinner than others by nature too....try something like the dumble "ODS" model and see if that helps

The right IR also helps.....set a looper in front and audition cabs till you get one that works 'right'with your amp and guitar.....sometimes it may b something quite unlikely and unexpected!

Here are some tricks too:

Use an enhancer block if you run in stereo

Use a VERY short delay to add some body

Add a reverb with a VERY short decay time to thicken the sound

Add a chorus in parallel with a small amount of mix to thicken the overall texture

Use a fuzz...that will get you instant thickness!

It's not necessarily something you might need, but a dual amp or dual cab can yield great results if you have some patience

Also as mentioned, your pickups may need adjustments too....just a turn or two might do the trick....

You should experiment with different IR's. There are some that are very bright sounding and some that are much darker and fuller sounding. This will get you in the ball park of where you want to be and then you can either tweak from there or use the PEQ block as previously suggested.

I'd try a very clean amp and rise the gain full (jc-120 works for me), if it still not thick enough, add compressor first in line and tape drive (.5 - 1.5 drive) after cab. Plus, choose medium plate parallel to main signal with mix around 5-10%. Add some sag on pwr amp section. And roll off tone pot on your guitar.

For a thicker tone, once you have pickup height sorted out, the neck pickup is your primary source for thick tone. The middle pickup is also very interesting.

The compressor in the amp block is a great source for thickening up single coil clean tones, especially with a dynamic modifier selecting the amount of squeeze so that you get more squeeze when you play harder and less when you play softer.

Next select a cab ir with some depth to it. In the Axe FX III, search for the WMAN cab that I contributed. For strats and P-90 guitars that need thicker clean tones, pair it with the right clean amp setting and it will knock your socks off.

Use a big sounding IR. 121. 313.
Put a parametric EQ at the front of your chain. Make a big low hump.

Hi folks,
I am using a Mexican Strat with single coils
I was wondering how many ways can I get a thinker or fuller or fatter sound from my thin sounding pickups?

I wondering how others have approached this same problem?

What kind of amplifier do you use? In terms of both brand and whether valve, combi etc

Lots of good advice on this page.

Check bright switch, maybe fat switch.

I have also learned in the past couple years with major firmware updates, that many amp models respond quite well/accurately to guitar volume knob roll offs.

If you don’t have cap bleed circuits, just rolling your guitar volume knob/pot down to a nine - seven (enough travel) to thicken the tone, especially on amps that have some gain to them. E.g. 6550 Plexi or even Hi1 Hi2 in 50w plexis. Also really dig the Bogners (Euro).

Back
Top Bottom