Running live backing tracks

Genome

Inspired
Hi guys,

I'm still on the Axe-FX II bandwagon but I am now considering switching over to the III.

Currently, my band uses a dedicated audio interface to run our backing tracks (some synth tracks) from a laptop. We send a stereo feed from that to FOH, and use two other pairs of outputs to send separate mixes to our drummer and vocalist. We also take a feed of vocals from the desk into the interface so our vocalist can hear himself through his in-ears.

I was wondering, with the added I/O flexibility whether it would be possible to do this all in the Axe III as follows?

So it would be:

Front Input - Guitar
Input 2 XLR - Vocals from FOH
Output 1 - Guitar Feed to FOH
Output 2 - Backing Track Feed to FOH
Output 3 - Monitor Feed for Drummer (with a Click track)
Output 4 - Monitor Feed for Vocalist (no Click track)

The manual states that Output 5+6/7+8 on USB are routed to Input blocks for reamping, but could I just shunt it across on the grid to physically route it to Output 3 and 4 respectively, and just control separate monitoring levels in the DAW?

I may have answered my own question, but I just want to check I've figured this out correctly!

Keep in mind that, as a Windows Playback Sound Device, the audio can only be routed to Output-1

Screenshot of Windows Audio devices:
Axe-FX-III-Windows-Playback-Device.png

You can only redirect to other outputs using the DAW ASIO drivers.

Screenshot of Cakewalk audio devices:
Axe-FX-III-DAW-Device.png

Last edited:
Keep in mind that, as a Windows Playback Sound Device, the audio can only be routed to Output-1

Axe-FX-III-Windows-Playback-Device.png

You can only redirect to other outputs using the DAW ASIO drivers

Axe-FX-III-DAW-Device.png

Yeah, that's what I do now with the current audio interface. :)

I'd use the DAW (Cubase) to route the audio to the USB outputs and then use the Axe to route that to physical outputs.

I'd get a dedicated interface like a Metric Halo ULN-8. Costs a few hundred more than Axe-Fx, but incredibly clean and incredibly flexible. You might even find yourself using it to record live gigs. There's a few MH users here and we all swear by them. Not to mention your FOH will love the sound.

Back
Top Bottom