Starting point for building a shredding lead tone

I went back through it after I posted what I originally said, I had posted that with headphones as it was I think 4am when I was messing with it. Anyway, after playing it through the monitors I actually changed the cab to the Uber V30 + T75 Legacy Cab. I still left the other one in there as well but it’s muted. I also changed a few things around, I moved the time based effects to parallel routing so they’re not piling up on each other.. that’s kind of a personal preference, if you want to change the levels you use the level control not the mix. I also put a compressor at the end, you can use that to bring out the time based effects more if you want as well. I got rid of one of the Drive Blocks & replaces it with a Filter Block with a +8dB Boost & a slight mid boost & low & high cut. And on the drive block that’s there are the SDD on Ch. C & FET on D. I’d use either the Filter Block or the drive block but probably not both at the same time. I also lowered the Amp Level, it’s at -17dB now & could probably be lowered even more, (I heard a little bit of clipping on the right side. I think that was my changes that caused that however.) I only saved to scene 8 but I think I was working on scene 1. I didn’t set up any scenes, so you’ll have to toggle things manually, I think I added 2 different choruses and a sweep delay on B. (Kinda cool has a wah effect on the repeats) I didn’t touch any amp settings as to not change your tone, and you can always use the cab you have already chosen if you’re happy with the tone. I didn’t have it so I used that one cause it went well with my rig here.

That lead tone is some next level fire right there. I haven't even gotten into channels just because I don't know them. I am actually printing out a hard copy of the AXE FX III manual so that I can have something to read in the car when I'm on my lunch break.

I went back through it after I posted what I originally said, I had posted that with headphones as it was I think 4am when I was messing with it. Anyway, after playing it through the monitors I actually changed the cab to the Uber V30 + T75 Legacy Cab. I still left the other one in there as well but it’s muted. I also changed a few things around, I moved the time based effects to parallel routing so they’re not piling up on each other.. that’s kind of a personal preference, if you want to change the levels you use the level control not the mix. I also put a compressor at the end, you can use that to bring out the time based effects more if you want as well. I got rid of one of the Drive Blocks & replaces it with a Filter Block with a +8dB Boost & a slight mid boost & low & high cut. And on the drive block that’s there are the SDD on Ch. C & FET on D. I’d use either the Filter Block or the drive block but probably not both at the same time. I also lowered the Amp Level, it’s at -17dB now & could probably be lowered even more, (I heard a little bit of clipping on the right side. I think that was my changes that caused that however.) I only saved to scene 8 but I think I was working on scene 1. I didn’t set up any scenes, so you’ll have to toggle things manually, I think I added 2 different choruses and a sweep delay on B. (Kinda cool has a wah effect on the repeats) I didn’t touch any amp settings as to not change your tone, and you can always use the cab you have already chosen if you’re happy with the tone. I didn’t have it so I used that one cause it went well with my rig here.
That filter you added! It really adds scratch to the amp! It's like pushing the boundaries of what I thought was possible!

That filter you added! It really adds scratch to the amp! It's like pushing the boundaries of what I thought was possible!
Yeah, the Filter Block I’m using as just a Clean Boost with a little pre-eq’ing. You might want to set the Low Cut to your guitar/rig & the mid Boost. I set the low by Playing some power chords and full chords and listening for the mud & bring it up till it cleans it up. I added the mids, but you may not need them for your guitar.. you can certainly take them away or even add more or tweak them. I left the Q on the mids fairly wide, so it’s a fairly gradual peak. And of course you can add or remove overall Boost with the Level. Oh, one thing, just remember when adjusting the mids, that boost is also added on top of the Level Boost.. so, that’s how that works. You could also use a PEQ or EQ Block in the same manner for even more control.
I looked after at all your scenes and noticed that you were using the Drive Block that I replaced with the Filter Block.. I really should have looked first.. I would have used the other drive block, I only used that one cause I route the Filter Block first then my drive blocks, cause I’ll use them both together a lot of times, but in this case the amp is already got a ton of gain, so personally I think it’d be too much.

That lead tone is some next level fire right there. I haven't even gotten into channels just because I don't know them. I am actually printing out a hard copy of the AXE FX III manual so that I can have something to read in the car when I'm on my lunch break.
Are you using AxeEdit? Or just the front screen on the unit to edit & create your patches?

is in this Cab Pack ML Greatest Hits
Lol, figures. I have just about every other cab pack ML has produced except one, (the original Mesa pack, I think it’s Cab Pack 14) I even just bought the new Mega Oversized one he just put out this week. I’m thinking it’s probably originally from that pack, but the really the last thing I need is more V30 IR’s. I bought the new one out of curiosity over the non-MPT & thankfully there were only something like maybe 45-50 IR’s in the new pack to manage. I’m happy grabbing just 4-5 good IR’s out of a Pack honestly (per Speaker type) imo it becomes kinda burdensome trying to manage 100’s upon 100’s of IR’s.
Anyway, I don’t ever recall seeing an IR named that in any of the ML packs I have.

Lol, figures. I have just about every other cab pack ML has produced except one, (the original Mesa pack, I think it’s Cab Pack 14) I even just bought the new Mega Oversized one he just put out this week. I’m thinking it’s probably originally from that pack, but the really the last thing I need is more V30 IR’s. I bought the new one out of curiosity over the non-MPT & thankfully there were only something like maybe 45-50 IR’s in the new pack to manage. I’m happy grabbing just 4-5 good IR’s out of a Pack honestly (per Speaker type) imo it becomes kinda burdensome trying to manage 100’s upon 100’s of IR’s.
Anyway, I don’t ever recall seeing an IR named that in any of the ML packs I have.
that IR is a bonus for the Cab Pack ML Greatest Hits,see the atach image

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.07.58 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.07.58 PM copy.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom