L6 Powercab 112+ is the real deal

The PC may not be flat response. But it is full range. So it can sound and feel like a guitar cab, and it can reproduce above 5k like a full range monitor. A regular guitar cab can not do both, and a PA monitor can not do both. This is the solution I've been looking for, and the PC delivers.
As for the flat mode not sounding good with modeler cab turned on, that's just not the case. If I use an AX8 preset with cab turned on and PC in flat mode, or load the same IR into the PC and disable cab block in AX8, they sound and feel identical.

Is it possible to run “direct” from the PC via XLR to front of house, board, or interface/ DAW after the IR from the PC is in place? Thinking of a situation where you’re recording live and getting the exact same sound from your PC as you’d get on the recording.

Is it possible to run “direct” from the PC via XLR to front of house, board, or interface/ DAW after the IR from the PC is in place? Thinking of a situation where you’re recording live and getting the exact same sound from your PC as you’d get on the recording.
Yes, the PC+ has XLR output that is post IR. Live, I often use the PC+ for stage volume and run XLR out from the speaker to FOH.

I pulled the trigger on the standard PowerCab for a good deal. At this point in my life I'm really looking for simple setup and great minimalistic tones. My stuff is really dialed in well and I can't imagine it sounding as good as my Alto TS110a. I'll report back!

I for one will be curious to read your comments/thoughts. I have owned quite a few FRFR solutions (including Atomic Reactor, FBT Verve 12ma, RCF, CLR, Xitone) and have found them all "artificial" sounding, for lack of a better term, in comparison to amps (yes, I fully understand the difference between a mic'd cab sound through FRFR. etc...). Most likely it's the tweeter...

So, I'm looking at monitoring options again and the PowerCab (not the plus version) is one I am curious about. I'm also interested in the Xitone GRFR...

Anyway, looking forward to reading your review.

I'll chime in as a Powercab+ owner and previous owner of a CLR, Xitone, Friedman, EV, DXR10, and Matrix FR10. The Powercab is legit in flat mode (FRFR), sounds as good as any I've had so far. Maybe not perfectly flat, but it sounds big and full with a good IR. Speaker mode does a very good job of representing the speaker its modelling, but it is a 112 cab, if you're looking for a Marshall into a 412 Greenback cab, use an IR in flat mode as the 112 won't thump like a 412 (obvious I hope). It does a good job of sounding like a 112 combo amp.

I A/Bed the Powercab against my XiTone wedge, side by side with a switcher pedal. The Powercab is noticeably dark - the overall tonality is similar to the XiTone with the tweeter dimmer. I also found it a little lacking in definition and depth in the mids. I probably wouldn't have noticed these things if not for having them side by side in a direct comparison, and the L6 was not bad. I definitely love the form factor and weight of the Powercab. But when it comes to sound, the XiTone does justify the extra cost and I returned the PC in the end.

Anyone able to make midi switching on the PC+ work using Axe FX 2 mk2 and MFC-1? It switches midi when I turn it on. But If I move exp. pedals Etc it freezes up and stop responding.

I just got the Powercab 212+, and I'm really pleased with it, a couple of weeks in. So far, I've only used it with my Axe FX 2 once, in FRFR mode, and it sounded really good, better than my Yamaha DXR-12s, but maybe not quite as nice as my QSC K-10s.

But I live near New Orleans, and March-through-November, a good many of my gigs are outside, so I decided to keep my Fractal in the studio most of the time, and I bought a Helix LT to use live. Into a PA, the Axe FX still sounds better, so at large gigs (where the percentage of my stage sound heard by the audience is smaller), I still bring it and run it through the PC+ in FRFR mode for stage monitoring. The rest of the time, I use the L6 Link cable to connect from the Helix to the PC+, and man, turning off the IR in the Helix and using the speaker emulations in the PC+ instead is really where this cab shines. I haven't tried using the MFC-1 to do the MIDI thing yet, but I may experiment with it soon, when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom