Kids these days...

Can't be Western kids, for sadly the only thing the ones I know of are good at is being obnoxious and smartmouths.

Video is sped up, watch their feet keeping time. It's like watching a Charlie Chaplin movie.

Video is sped up, watch their feet keeping time. It's like watching a Charlie Chaplin movie.
I don’t think so. All the other motions — head nodding and such — look natural. It’s just a jumpy leg or two.

...said every experienced adult in history. :)

I think it's different this time. My kid, for instance, can't function if he has his cell phone. Literally won't do anything other than browse bullshit and watch youtube all day. Won't eat, sleep, do his homework, chores, forget it. I think there will be a whole generation of people born in early 00s and up who will live under bridges, all while glued to their cell phones 24x7. Human dopamine response has never been weaponized to such an extent.

I think it's different this time. My kid, for instance, can't function if he has his cell phone. Literally won't do anything other than browse bullshit and watch youtube all day. Won't eat, sleep, do his homework, chores, forget it. I think there will be a whole generation of people born in early 00s and up who will live under bridges, all while glued to their cell phones 24x7. Human dopamine response has never been weaponized to such an extent.

Sadly enough not just kids. Adults too. We're all addicted to checking our smartphones as soon as we get that push message. I've been with friends where nobody said anything for a while we were all glued to our smartphone. Might as well have created a whatsapp group app so we would have communicated digitally instead.

Sadly enough not just kids. Adults too. We're all addicted to checking our smartphones as soon as we get that push message. I've been with friends where nobody said anything for a while we were all glued to our smartphone. Might as well have created a whatsapp group app so we would have communicated digitally instead.

FWIW, I’m fighting this as well, with iOS12 Screen Time. Didn’t even realize I was wasting so much time. I’ve cut it down by a factor of 2 so far, with a goal to eventually use the phone no more than 45 minutes a day. Got so much free time I might actually finish some of my hobby projects now.

I had the benefit of growing up with not much to waste my time on. My father got rid of our TV when I was 10 and never bought another, and personal computers (let alone smartphones) weren’t even a thing yet.

Can't be Western kids, for sadly the only thing the ones I know of are good at is being obnoxious and smartmouths.

That's just bullshit from the media and smarmy memes trying to get attention. For the most part, kids today are awesome. I look around at everything that is actually fucked up and there isn't a single thing I can blame on "kids today".

This video is pretty cool and it makes me happy to think there are some kids out there into learning an instrument.
But - I do mostly agree with your comments. While I don't have any children myself, I do know many people with kids up to 16 years old. They are all mostly how you describe.
I also work with a fair amount of millennials - they are mostly useless. They can't think for themselves or problem solve. They need their hand held constantly. The show up for work whenever the decide to wake up. They facebook or whatever when they're supposed to be working. I know I'm sounding like an old codger - but they definitely have a different mindset about work and really don't have a work ethic.
For my generation (gen x), we are scared of losing our jobs, we didn't have our parents to fall back on or give us everything. We had to work hard and prove ourselves.
I digress - it great to see kids like this that are dedicated to learning something - kudos to him !

nailed it

I was blessed with kids that DO do their homework. But that's where it ends LOL!

This video is pretty cool and it makes me happy to think there are some kids out there into learning an instrument.
But - I do mostly agree with your comments. While I don't have any children myself, I do know many people with kids up to 16 years old. They are all mostly how you describe.
I also work with a fair amount of millennials - they are mostly useless. They can't think for themselves or problem solve. They need their hand held constantly. The show up for work whenever the decide to wake up. They facebook or whatever when they're supposed to be working. I know I'm sounding like an old codger - but they definitely have a different mindset about work and really don't have a work ethic.
For my generation (gen x), we are scared of losing our jobs, we didn't have our parents to fall back on or give us everything. We had to work hard and prove ourselves.
I digress - it great to see kids like this that are dedicated to learning something - kudos to him !

As a counterpoint, I did manage to hire a few very talented young folks at work. Two were right out of college, one of the two is borderline genius, I’ve never seen anyone with this level of coding skill, and I worked at some of the top companies in the industry, and on pretty serious teams within those companies.

But they were born in late 90s, so no real smartphone usage (let alone their own smartphone) until they were 8 or so. We’ll see how it goes from here on out. I just lock my son’s iPhone down with Screen Time now, and disable access to fun sites with PiHole at home. This seems to be working, but it’s a constant struggle, and I’m 99% sure it won’t end well for the kid. Ultimately he needs to learn self control, but there’s a multi billion dollar industry on the other end working tirelessly to ensure he never learns it. The only exception seems to be Apple, and then only recently.

That's just bullshit from the media and smarmy memes trying to get attention. For the most part, kids today are awesome. I look around at everything that is actually fucked up and there isn't a single thing I can blame on "kids today".

You must be commenting on your own pet peeve as I clearly said the ones I know of. Not the ones in the media, not kids in general. The ones I know of.

Also, the suggestion that the world today is more fucked up than it was 20-40 years ago is factually wrong on a very, very broad array of metrics. There are whole books written about this by now. So I’d say the past 2-3 of generations have done a pretty good job.

You must be commenting on your own pet peeve as I clearly said the ones I know of. Not the ones in the media, not kids in general. The ones I know of.

Your intent may not have been to speak of kids in general, but what you said is at least ambiguous:

"Can't be Western kids, for sadly the only thing the ones I know of are good at is being obnoxious and smartmouths."

You started with a generalization (Western kids) and then commented on the ones you know. This pattern of making a generalized point with personal anecdotal experience is a very common logical fallacy.

And yes, it is a pet peeve of mine. I see smarmy adults my age belittling "kids today" all the time as if our generation was somehow awesome. Utter nonsense.

Was reading something interesting the other day, about how our brains develop. If you haven’t learned how to speak by age whatever, then you will have a real hard time actually being able to learn how to speak at all..ever. So, the basic premise is that our brains hardwire to external input and exercise.

Change input. Change hardware.

Amazing really how that all corresponds.

Kids today, are going to be different because of it. They will have strengths we never had, and the strengths we have put us outside of their understanding to some degree - and just from my own personal experience that was also true of my parents and grandparent’s generation too. “Kids these days” ..it’s a popular saying for a reason.

Having said that. Deep down, We all share more similarities than not. And though l don’t play video games and have no real love for smartphones (which I use just for work), I have often admired those who can wrap their heads around all that stuff and find it somehow a form of fun.

No matter what the generation, We all seem to have a common love of music, and appreciation of ability whenever we stumble upon it. And that could be considered enough. The kid in this video? Has developed talent that is both Impressive and Admirable. Traits rare enough to find in any generation.

Back
Top Bottom