Got a new AX8? The first 5 things you should do are . . .

I do not understand why people insist on directing new folks to ONE SET of videos? That is so wrong in so many ways. Leon is great. Player and videos. But I won't go grading them, but don't you think that a new person would benefit from different ideas and viewpoints.
Let people have a choice, perhaps they bond with a certain teaching style and whatever. Let them explore and decide who they can best learn from. If it's Leon, great. He's a very good player and a good teacher. AS are Chris, Smittfar, Cooper Carter, etc, etc, etc. That is one reason why Smittfar tried to put them altogether...

IMHO the "learning curve" is greatly exaggerated. It is NOT that tough... Have fun.

It really is a easy or as complicated as YOU make it. If you want to learn everything about everything then you're in for a LOOOOOOOONG haul. (months to a year)

Otherwise if the amp you own is in there well, there you go. You have a place to start. I set up my amp and pedalboard and worked at replicating that. Then I took all the pedals I don't use and went after them and took lots of notes and settings.
Find the amp you've always wanted and give it a try understanding that it might not sound the way you think thru your setup but work at it. It will take time. Several people here have presets cheap that are very good.

So I did not read the manual (which I 100% will do), but I was so stoked I had to dive right in. Within 30 mins created a patch from scratch.
It's really very well thought out. A little bit of a learning curve, but not so bad. I know I can go a lot deeper, but I feel good that I have gotten this far with minimum reading and video. Ok, now to read the manual! :)

So I did not read the manual (which I 100% will do), but I was so stoked I had to dive right in. Within 30 mins created a patch from scratch.
It's really very well thought out. A little bit of a learning curve, but not so bad. I know I can go a lot deeper, but I feel good that I have gotten this far with minimum reading and video. Ok, now to read the manual! :)
Absolutely. You can do some good stuff by just feeling your way around the AX8.

But wait 'till you read the manual. Get ready for a lot of "Oh, they even thought of that!" moments.

Day 1 First of all, have a bottle of water and a sandwich or something on hand, so you don't get dehydrated or keel over from low blood sugar: Don't be surprised if you go through a few presets, and the next thing you know, four hours have passed, and you really do have to stop for a bathroom break. And eventually get some sleep.

Day 2
. Spend an hour going through the unit, the manual, and AX8 Edit at the same time: Have the Wiki up in case you something seems unclear. No more than a glance at advanced parameters: This is just a familiarization tour: so you know what and where things are. Learn how scenes work: which includes getting a feel for the function switches. The default F2 single/sticky assignment is ideal for me: Getting comfortable with scenes are the key to easily executed complex and powerful switching combinations.
2. Using a favorite all around preset: Plug in a guitar and gain stage the entire audio path from input setting and input trim, preamp gain: Drive and other effects blocks, Power Amp Master, preset level, etc. to output to DAW and Monitors. That way you'll always be working with optimal audio signal for greatest versatility with the amp parameters, and also have the traditional range of the guitar volume and tone knobs on the amp response. As additional effects and amp blocks are swapped around; they will be easier to optimize and the whole system will stay in gamut without much effort.
3. Don't try to do too much with one preset at the get go. Start with only what is needed for one song, and get that much down first. You can always add more later.

After a Week:
. Saving a copy of a dialed in preset and switching out amps, cabs and effects for the next preset is obvious enough: but don't overlook saving each of those carefully tweaked effects as a block preset.
5. Work toward coming up with a consistent layout for the foot switching. According to my whim and preference: on every preset:: Switch 1 is always Drive, 2 = Mod A. 3 = Mod B, 4 = Delay (conveniently next to Tap tempo) etc. I have X/Y foot switching turned off (not just for minimal latency, but to avoid switching errors if I hold the switch too long) = all X/Y switching is done via scene changes. I also have scenes ordered in a consistent way: So even if I haven't used a patch in months, or I decide to use something different at the last minute: the foot switching assignments are always going to be the same. Any and all variations and unique effects assignments are at #6, 7 and 8.
In summary: F1 for preset changes, F2 toggles between scenes mode and a pedalboard type layout. Tuner on F3. An Expression/Volume pedal. That's pretty much the FAS default concept. I haven't needed more or different. Some may and it can be done. The point being to recommend coming up with your own foot switching layout that minimizes thinking and reading requirements to operate.

Last edited:
Everything mentioned here are all great references to start...the one thing I would add is Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp Models which details all of the amp models contained in the AX8 is a must read / listen (there are links to sound bites included for each amp as well)...unless you have played them all before you will find some pleasant surprises using amp models which you wouldn't normally have considered trying.
Rarely will you ever load a preset that someone shared or that you buy which won't require minor adjustments based on all the physical components which make up everyone's individual sound...In the end trust your own ear because the sounds you are looking for are in there waiting for YOU to find them.

Back
Top Bottom