Bug? Loud sounds when changing scenes

Shunt

Have a song set up in Reaper with one MIDI track for controlling the scenes of the AX8. I'm sending MIDI from Reaper via my M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard to the AX8's MIDI in. When I'm playing the song with the attached preset I get weird noises when scene changes occur. Sometimes sounded like I'm hitting a compressor or a gate, sometimes like the Wah was interfering? Idk. I think these noises didn't even always occur at the same scene changes. Any idea what could be the problem? Running the latest AX8 firmware and AX8 version.

Attachments

• 5F1 Tweed EC Edit 02.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
Just a guess but you aren't running AX Edit at same time are you? I have had that cause unexpected noises.

I indeed was running AX8-Edit. But I assumed that it's inactive when it's paused. What does "pause" actually do here then? Or isit just a method for preventing lag when operating the AX8's controls?
Anyhow, I'm gonna give it a try without AX8-Edit when I get back home. Thank you very much for the tip.

It's kinda frustrating for me as a beginner that the documentation for the AX8 is scattered around the web. I did read up quite a bit on the AX8 before purchasing - in the manuals, boards, on facebook. From what I have read before I definitely did expect that it'll take time and diving until I get to a patch that works for me. But I didn't expect the information situation to be so complicated. Is there a guide that is a little bit deeper and comprehensive? The manual isn't complete nor very deep. I also get the impression that it skips on some basic complications that seem to be pretty common.

Right now I have some 16 "experimenting presets" - structurally most of them pure chaos, soundwise all still pretty far from where I want to get.
And my lack of experience and knowledge about different amps and cabs is a whole different problem. Is there a guide concerning these two topics that is refering to the AX8 or Axe FX II?

But I do see slow progress - until I hit the next unexpected problem for which the manual doesn't provide a solution.
Sigh, I think it's time to rewatch Lean Todd's "Help, My Guitar Tone Sucks! - Modeller Edition" vid. Maybe now I can make more sense of it :D
I'm optimistic that I'll eventually get very close to what I'm looking for, but it's such a teeth-grindingly painstaking process for a noob like me -.-

I indeed was running AX8-Edit. But I assumed that it's inactive when it's paused. What does "pause" actually do here then? Or isit just a method for preventing lag when operating the AX8's controls?
it pauses the communication, so it's as if it wasn't on/connected at all. you didn't mention it was paused (or on), so it's a common thing to have it connected and on and wonder why there are gaps/glitches. so you're doing that correctly.

besides the descriptions of all the blocks (which are in the Axe-Fx manual), what is something you think the AX8 manual has missed regarding the basics?

The manual isn't complete nor very deep.
The AX8 manual is pretty complete regarding connections and overall operation. But it doesn’t go very deep into the individual blocks. For that, grab a copy of the Axe-Fx II manual, which goes into each block in depth.

And my lack of experience and knowledge about different amps and cabs is a whole different problem. Is there a guide concerning these two topics that is refering to the AX8 or Axe FX II?
For that, you need @yek ‘s Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp Models. It’s just what your looking for. It’s also a great general-purpose reference to sixty years of guitar amps — even for people who never owned a modeler in their lives.

if you’re just starting your guitar journey and you bought Fractal gear to learn on, you’re in for an interesting ride. It’s like learning how to drive by hopping into a Ferrari. You’re going to run over the curb a few times. :)

Last edited:
besides the descriptions of all the blocks (which are in the Axe-Fx manual), what is something you think the AX8 manual has missed regarding the basics?
Can't think of any examples right now since I'm mostly stumbling from one riddle to antoher. But if there is interest in this, I can start writting down what - from my beginner's perspective - is missing in the manual.
Browsing the board it seems to me like running AX8-Edit while playing the AX8 is generally known to cause some glitches. I would've definitely appreciated one sentence or two concering this in the manual. If it's a well known and common issue - why is it not in there?

For that, you need @yek ‘s Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp Models. It’s just what your looking for. It’s also a great general-purpose reference to sixty years of guitar amps — even for people who never owned a modeler in their lives.
if you’re just starting your guitar journey and you bought Fractal gear to learn on, you’re in for an interesting ride. It’s like learning how to drive by hopping into a Ferrari. You’re going to run over the curb a few times. :)

Hot diggity! Thank you so much for this tip! Now that's a helpful resource - even been browsing this on the morning train to uni.

Great, if I would've learned to drive with a Ferrari I definitely would be dead by now. Maybe I can knock it down to "deaf" with the AX8 :D

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom