Is there a resource that categorizes amps by type?

CajunKev

Hi, I am wanting to find a resource that categorizes boutique amp models as similar to other more famous types. For one example, I'm interested in exploring Vox AC30 and similar amps. Is there a resource that will tell me which boutique amps are similar to the AC30? Or what is the best way to find this out?

Thanks all!
CajunKev

Not really. That's such a broad question, that it can't be answered directly. EL84 based? Maybe.

The good news is that the WIKI offers the capability for you to create one yourself if you research a list that might approximate this.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

Or better yet, do a search on this forum and find any AC30 thread, and you'll find answers on what people use and suitable replacements/improvements on that amp.

thanks, guys, and h.c.e., you nailed it! that was exactly what i was looking for. and i do have yek's guide. in fact, i'm going to make a donation to him. it is a wonderful resource. thanks again!

That list was one of my additions to the guide. I'm glad someone else find it useful. :)

Something else I like to do is use the colour coding in Axe Edit to tag amps of a certain type. For example, I've tagged the "vox type" amps as purple, tweed fenders as yellow etc.

Cool, just learned something new!

That list was one of my additions to the guide. I'm glad someone else find it useful. :)

Something else I like to do is use the colour coding in Axe Edit to tag amps of a certain type. For example, I've tagged the "vox type" amps as purple, tweed fenders as yellow etc.

SimViz - you deserve some thanks then! Appreciate you! Like the color coding idea too, but am wondering how I'll know what all the tweed Fenders (and similar) are. LOL. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom