Cutting Cab High's and Low's??

Many 2 way boxes (FRFR) have inherent problems by design. Not saying they are bad, just physical laws that can't change.
Many issues occur in and around crossover bandpass frequency (typical 1.6k for most)
Coaxials do a better job than horn/driver mounted systems on flat baffles. IMHO. An IR taken from a standard guitar speaker cabinet, processed through any driver/horn wedge will have inherent problems. Electrical and physical.
I went back to a traditional cabinet for these reasons, sometimes using an IR as a "tuned filter" for certain desired resonances.
The 3 dB peak at bandpass is going to be there on powered wedges. Subtractive, or additive, depending on filter order. Bad place for guitars to be getting weird in. Maybe Atomic designed active filters and cabinet porting, tailored to guitar response curves. I imagine the CLR's are not as good for a vocal wedge either. Try the inverse. If your using a wedge that is designed around vocal responses, use your ears to tune it to emulate a guitar cab. I measured my old FRFR, and filtered accordingly, and had pretty good results.

I get your general drift, and agree that some monitors have problems or are tuned for a certain range/instument/voice or whatever - But the CLR is designed to be a true FRFR monitor and while not 100% perfectly flat (show me a stage monitor that is !) it is a really darn flat FRFR monitor, meaning that is does indeed work brilliantly with vocals, keys, bass, program material and so on.
It's NOT a guitar specific product, and as such is not tuned around guitar frequencies, but rather around being a flat FRFR system.

So can anyone point to one IR that they use, perhaps one of the factory cabs that hasn't needed to be filtered at all? I'm thinking why don't we have IR's that are presented to us that are fully EQ'd and ready to go? Or is the approach here's the block of marble, now you go off and try and create a sculpture? I'm a guitarist not an engineer!! That said I'll trust me ear and do what I need to get it sounding good. The editing seems like it should be unnecessary??

TAF Mars 1x12 (literally any amp), 1x12 Black sm57 (anything Fender), and 4x12 Fractal V30 AT4047 (yuuuge!!) - probably the most detailed and ready-to-go IR's I've played (tried 'em all- Ownham, RW, J York, Celest).

I still use an 80Hz cut on all 3, and the third one is definitely for a heavier sound, but these are the easiest to work with for me. I can "arrive" at my sound in less than a minute with these IR's.

Btw, for monitoring, I'm using Equator Audio D5 monitors, Blue Lola headphones, and Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.

TAF Mars 1x12 (literally any amp), 1x12 Black sm57 (anything Fender), and 4x12 Fractal V30 AT4047 (yuuuge!!) - probably the most detailed and ready-to-go IR's I've played (tried 'em all- Ownham, RW, J York, Celest).

I still use an 80Hz cut on all 3, and the third one is definitely for a heavier sound, but these are the easiest to work with for me. I can "arrive" at my sound in less than a minute with these IR's.

Btw, for monitoring, I'm using Equator Audio D5 monitors, Blue Lola headphones, and Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.
Great will try later tonight

I'm looking for 2 additional monitors. While I gravitate towards CLR NEO IIs, the total lack of activity from Atomic worries me. CLRs have been out of stock for many months now. Emails do not get answered.

I'm in the exact same situation as you and it's super frustrating.
Tom has always been great and provided stellar customer service to me in the past. I really like him and I absolutely love the CLRs. Nothing gets close to them unless we talk something roughly 3 times the price IMHO, but now emails go unanswered regardless of whether they are sent directly to Tom or to support.

I'm looking to buy 2 CLR NEO II's, but CLRs have been out of stock for months in the EU, no answers to emails - plus I haven't received the replacement amp module for my third CLR wedge, an amp module that I'd been promised for months on end before the radio silence.
Worried and not too happy.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom