Very LOUD popping sounds when I use the computer editor

almost speaker damaging sounding changing parameters, clicking effects on and off. Practically anything.
any suggestions appreciated.

L

Unplug the FX8 completely to rule out it is not the amp that's the problem. My mark 5 did this last week and it turns out to be a fractured solder tag on one of the power amp sockets.

Thank you for the suggestions. Found out it was a result of overloaded memory...mostly tied to reverb block using lots of memory.
Appreciate the thoughts. L

Thank you for the suggestions. Found out it was a result of overloaded memory...mostly tied to reverb block using lots of memory.
Appreciate the thoughts. L
I'm guessing you mean excessive CPU usage. Yeah, it'll do that. :)

I just dont understand how you can get excessive cpu usage as the reverb switches off once you go over say 88 %
I don't think anyone said that happened. Still, it's possible.

Say your reverb is se for one of the lower-CPU options. It gets auto-disabled. Then you slam a hotter signal through, and that spikes your CPU again. Then, if you X/Y your Drive to a higher CPU type, or engage a bypassed Drive, you're back into too much CPU.

During beta testing, I've managed to get two blocks disabled at the same time by riding that CPU rail too close.

If it's a block that gets automatically bypassed it could be a good idea to manually bypass one of them at once and make sure that you have unity gain. This way, even if a block is automatically bypassed, you are sure that the overall level of the signal never changes.

If it's a block that gets automatically bypassed it could be a good idea to manually bypass one of them at once and make sure that you have unity gain. This way, even if a block is automatically bypassed, you are sure that the overall level of the signal never changes.
Good idea. Note that this will only work for blocks in series.

Good idea. Note that this will only work for blocks in series.
It will also work for blocks in parallel, where your bypass mode should be mute in or mute fx in 99% of the time. If your bypass mode is to set the mix to 0 (default) and you have a block in parallel, you could gain a lot of volume when bypassing the block.

It will also work for blocks in parallel, where your bypass mode should be mute in or mute fx in 99% of the time. If your bypass mode is to set the mix to 0 (default) and you have a block in parallel, you could gain a lot of volume when bypassing the block.
Yes, but the parallel block's signal is additive. When it gets bypassed, you'll lose volume.

Last edited:
In general, the best approach is to modify your presets so that they don't run quite so close to the 90% threshold. This way, you will not be surprised during a performance. Processing audio can push the CPU up 2 - 3%.

Back
Top Bottom