Help me escape for a little bit: AX8 - Low cost good sounding vocal, guitar rig

Hello fellow Fractal noise makers,

Been researching and I think this is a new topic. So help is appreciated.

Turning tides on wife attempting to steal my children in divorce. I can now focus a little on me.

My goal is to start playing (it's been a while) live (as I really enjoy it when I did get the chance to do it). I enjoy singing and playing rhythm (would like to work on soloing). Mainly baritone rock and blues.

I would like to set up a live rig to rehearse with at home that I could take to rehearsals if need be. I’d like to be able to record all of it to hear how different components change my sound. Why I bought the AX8.

I made it out so far with my iMac, guitar, AX8, a Shure 58 and Tascam Guitar trainer so that’s not a bad start.

I can’t really afford to buy anything right now so looking for interest free financing for my next purchases. Can I do this? Like to budget around $500 to $600.

I have a good size room I can get loud enough to wear ear plugs (suggestions that help keep the ears alive while hearing the tone changes).

Goal is to use the Tascam to loop with (I’m new to Mac and it seems I can upload a song and loop a section of the song like the Tascam in Garageband. Does this work out?) and run both my guitar and vocals through iMac so to record it. Then send it out to a PA or good set of monitors so I can hear it, compare changes live.

I've seen posts about trying to run vocals and guitar through AX8 but I don't necessarily have to do this. Unless it helps me put money towards a better speaker.

I’m leaning towards a PA in case I get a gig with no PA.

Quality of sound and functionality vs size and weight are my goals.

Thinking of a single QSC K10 (as I think it's a speaker that would work well for vocals and guitar and it's been suggested here on the site) plus xxx. Open to suggestions.

I’m a total squid and have no idea how to accomplish this (I'm open to doing the work to do this but it would be nice if it was almost plug and play. But I have more time than money.) and would really like to just sing and play right now vs fretting over how to do something. So any help getting me started and ignoring my F’d up situation for a little bit would help out a lot.

Thank you…

If yer credit rating has not yet been decimated by your troubles, may I suggest Sweetwater.com that has a very reasonable interest free purchase option, and they have evolved to a very customer service oriented and always have good advice. You can do vocals and guitar on AX8 but it is not optimal, IMO. Your QSC idea is fine, I have run one as a compact PA with FAS gear and vocal, and it is good. NOt a looper guy so I got nothin. Good luck with all.

Great Bradlake. Thanks, I acted quickly when things went south to eliminate potential issues like that. At least I hope so...

I will have to give them a call and see what they suggest to use and see what alternatives they suggest. Best...

For a practice tool on Mac, Audacity is free and works for slowing down, changing pitch, looping phrases, etc. GUI is a bit clunky, though.
Not free but very much more user friendly is Capo. Best app I've found yet at slowing down music without changing pitch and vice versa. Even does a reasonable (although not perfect) job of naming and displaying chords in the song. It can isolate frequency ranges or places in the stereo field or eliminate them. Cut them out.

Actually never tried garageband. I have Reaper for recording, although I hardly ever did that.

I'm jealous. I wish I had a voice worth listening to. Or even just thought I had.

Dutch I really appreciate the kind, motivating sentiment. One of the coolest things anyone has ever said to me and I had no shortage of friends, or hobbies, etc... Thanks man if your ever in LA we got to jam.

Ever tried Finetunes? Seems reasonably cheap and decent reviews. Have to try Audacity tomorrow to see how it works and then the Capo temporary free download to compare.

Certainly worth eliminating the purchase of related cables and figuring that out. Thank you for chiming in. Enjoy your weekend.

Back
Top Bottom