Fuchs ODS question

mtmartin71

Experienced
Don't know much about that amp or how it'supposed to sound, but I tried it and it sounds like a glorious fuzz pedal breaking up with rich harmonics and tone, especially the deep mode model. Is that how the real deal is? It's G3'd, so I guess so!

Supposedly a Dumble ODS clone but our reference amp has way more gain than our Dumble.

The Fuchs started out as a Dumble clone, but every revision of it has really gotten further from being a Dumble clone and has become more of it's own thing. The more recent one's sound like a Dumble with a tubescreamer in front of it and a decent boost to the mids. There's a surprising amount of gain on tap inside those things and they really snarl at you in a way that Dumble's don't. If you swap between the Dumble patches and Fuchs patches in the Axe, it'll give you a good idea of the different flavor.

Did the Fuchs model change in G3? I thought the original patches were the ODS with and without the mid boost, but it looks like now it's with and without the depth boost.

Yeah, the Dumble thing has become like the Marshall thing, but the price tags are higher. Basically a bunch of folks started cloning stuff from schematics and then adding features or taking it in a slightly different direction or creating minor variations. It is essentially an amp "style" or family at this point.

There's even more mystique since you had the outrageous price tags, low number of physical specmines, and the Dumbles intentionally varied from amp to amp. On top of that, the amps were intentionally obscured (gooped inside) to prevent reverse engineering. Thus you got a bunch of schematics that varied based on the specimen, degoop quality, etc, they were handed down, traded and argued over like ancient Egyptian papyri. It's all quite neat and archaic at the same time. And some of the amps are even good to great sounding.

Supposedly a Dumble ODS clone but our reference amp has way more gain than our Dumble.

This is mostly because the HRM design (which has less gain than non-HRM amps). Not sure what your Fuchs ODS really is, but I believe it's a non-HRM amp.

PS:
To get the non-HRM amp right there is a little post gain filter circuit behind the OD stages (not shown in all "so called" d-schematics you'll find on the interwebz). Some kind of a simple HiCut filter. I make this adjustable (A250K / 2.2nF).....

This is mostly because the HRM design (which has less gain than non-HRM amps). Not sure what your Fuchs ODS really is, but I believe it's a non-HRM amp. PS: To get the non-HRM amp right there is a little post gain filter circuit behind the OD stages (not shown in all "so called" d-schematics you'll find on the interwebz). Some kind of a simple HiCut filter. I make this adjustable (A250K / 2.2nF).....

I'm not sure HRM versus non-HRM is it. I think really good builders like Andy Fuchs are taking some of the Dumble approach and making it their own, including upping gain in some cases, changing the voicing of the tone stack in some, etc. In other words, they are making their own version, not trying to do exact reproductions of "an amp" which HD made in many different versions anyway. I would also say that the one Fuchs ODS I played didn't really sound as Dumble-ish as I had hoped, either. Definitely had its own thing going, with more available gain (could just be a different pot on the OD entrance circuit) and more emphasis on the highs, less midrange punch than what I think of. But a good amp, nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom