New cabs that came with firmware 13

Guitarist9891

Inspired
About 10 or so cabs came with my firmware 13.02 made by OH. We're these already made with specific mics or flat mics. I know red wires were made with flat mics so we normally would choose a mic model with the cab. Is it the same with these cabs, or is the specific mic model already in the impulse response?

About 10 or so cabs came with my firmware 13.02 made by OH. We're these already made with specific mics or flat mics. I know red wires were made with flat mics so we normally would choose a mic model with the cab. Is it the same with these cabs, or is the specific mic model already in the impulse response?

With the exception of the one R121 cab, they're all studio mixes of a number of different microphones.

Thanks!

I came form fw 5.07 also I see some new ( at least to me ) "mix" irs. I know they are not ultrarez but were these also made with specific mics?

Yes, the mix IR's were done by Fractal in collaboration with high end producers in high end studios with some of the same mics as Ownhammer. No need for mic-modelling with those either.

I played with the UltraRes cabs yesterday, and I actually preferred using a mic model with them. Just seem to take the highs off and lend a more 3 dimensional feel to the sound coming out of my Atomic CLR.

I haven't tried playing with the NULL mic and the Proximity controls yet - that might add the same feel without the tone colouring that the mic models add?!?

Null is cool. I really liked tuning the proximity. Just watch settings greater than 6; low frequency levels increase and can cause clipping.

Not the Ownhammer ones, but the Guitarhack. They seem to have very scooped mids.

They can certainly work though.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I came form fw 5.07 also I see some new ( at least to me ) "mix" irs. I know they are not ultrarez but were these also made with specific mics?

5.07? Wooooooow! You've missed so much awesome! Were you working on an album or something?

All the mixed IRs take into consideration the mic used on them. That doesn't stop people from using microphones, much like many guys use microphones with some of the stock IRs that include microphones (the Redwirez IRs, for example). Really, it all boils down to what you think sounds good. I personally feel like adding mics onto mixed IRs makes for unpleasantness, but who am I to tell you what to do?

I never use mic modelling on cab IRs that already have mic coloration, but no harm in trying. Some guys like to use cab IRs on top of real guitar cabs too. Use whatever you like best :)

IMO.. I think the fact the Axe-Fx II even has mic models is mainly just legacy from an older approach. Long ago (before the II) Cliff captured a bunch of IRs using an Earthworx flat reference mic, the concept being to get a flat or transparent cab image with no mic coloration. Then you could use that virtual cab with whatever virtual mic suits you best, much like you would do with physical gear. Great concept, the trouble is (IMO) it didn't quite sound right in the end. Seems like no one is attempting these 'flat' IRs anymore.

I only spent about 5 hours with 13.02 yesterday. Had to downgrade and load all my old presets since I have a performance soon. I thought fw13 sounded more raw and a lot less produced then fw5.07. It's almost like all the imperfections of a tube amp were also there (undistinguishable from a real amp). In fw5 it's like an amp in an ideal setting. Note I started dialing presets from scratch when I got fw13. I would say I would need about 2-3 weeks of tweaking before I could gig with fw13.

I also noticed that when I use my older ir combinations they sound and react a little different. In other words in order to get similar results I might need to get there using different methods: different pedals, ir combinations etc

Interesting. Yeah there have been many changes. The amps are now super realistic and the modelling is so much more detailed, dynamic and complex.

Back
Top Bottom