Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Signal Chain Understanding

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Lost Gearlust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
Eventually I was running a Digitech GSP2101 Artist (v3.00 + PPC210) through a Marshall dual monoblock 50/50 into a Laney 4x12. I *really* missed that 2101 after I sold it and began my search for a decent replacement.

I used a 2101 or a 2112 with a Triaxis and a Boogie 2:90 for a long time. How long? I got the 2112 when it was first released, and upgraded to the Axe Fx II just before FW6 dropped. Now THERE was an upgrade worth the money :)

I think it's due to a lot of the modellers of the past and some current, have left a bad taste in peoples mouths.

You're missing a big one which is non-technical. Amp in the room sound. Modellers are complex and most importantly different. It takes work to get them sounding and feeling like amps in the room. That's all most traditional guitarists are looking for.
That assumes that they'll even give it a shot

That assumes that they'll even give it a shot

True. It's also just different than what all their heroes played and what they learned was right growing up. I think these attitudes are going to change big time, but there is something fundamentally simple and traditional about a decent amp driving a guitar speaker in a cab whether it's a combo or a head with a cab.

We're already seeing sound guys embracing the axe-fx big time. They listen with their ears. As guitarists grow up playing software and hardware modellers and their new guitar heroes also use them, these attitudes will change. I think it's just that Jimi and Stevie and Satch didn't use modellers, and at the time they made their mark non-tube tones didn't exist or were total crap. There is something magic about tube amp tone, that's why Cliff dedicates every ounce of genius and waking moment to getting it right in his models. I think we are at a turning point though. I don't get attitude about it like I used to a couple years ago, and frankly I'm more confident about the quality of tone that I'm getting now compared to a few years back as well.

I used a 2101 or a 2112 with a Triaxis and a Boogie 2:90 for a long time. How long? I got the 2112 when it was first released, and upgraded to the Axe Fx II just before FW6 dropped. Now THERE was an upgrade worth the money :)

Preach it!

I dug my ADA/Quad setup, but I've never been in love with a rig like I was with that 2101/50-50/Laney setup. The possibilities were endless it seemed, and now I've got that level of functionality again, and then some.

Personally everyone should use what he like....there are much guitarists asking me if I would say that the axefx kills tube amps, my answer is "I don't care, it works for me and I have fun using it, it's an awesome peice of gear - maybe the best I ever had in my life". :encouragement:

I used a 2101 with a 20/20 and isocabs up until Ultra V9. While I learned a lot drawing diagrams and laying things out on the tiny anti-visual 2101 screen, I've learned so much more about effects and production since then because of the Axe

I did not mean to run on...but I've had a bit of 12 year old Jameson on my Birthday here, and sadly, I'm moderating a slumber party of 6 eight year old girls while my wife sleeps...and I need something to do! Yes, my daughters (twins...) b-day overlaps with mine to my despair...

R

:lol

I went with Other and reason being...
I think it really boils down to personal preference. If a 5 knober wants to be anti modler then so be it. We all have are reasons why we need what we need when it comes to gear and it will always boils down to personal preference.

Last edited:
LOL @ rickboot and pima1234!!!

I think the answer is different for all. Some are illogical, some due to bad experience, some because of the lack of visual oomph when you see an amp and stack.

I do think rickboot has a great point though.

Because before the AXE, they blew. I remember the first time I head a POD. Everyone was so psyched. I was disgusted. Distortion was static, totally unresponsive, undynamic. Played it for 5 minutes and left the store. Then, way back when, I got my Ultra. I was skeptical, but. hey, they had a return policy so why not. Plugged it in and... organic, rish, lush, and RESPONSIVE. Of course, it's only gotten better since then! MIMIC is the shite!

I'd go with the bad experiences with old digital stuff. Sold my digital gear 10 years ago to "never go digital" again.
Until I heard the Fractal... That was blowing my mind.
It's also a common thought under guitarists "nothing beats a tube amp". But they're discussing it w/o first hearing the high end digital gear.

What I realize every time when I see a band since I have my Axe-Fx, that I'm glad I have one. Even if the guy has a great sound. I think, I can do that one, and much more, and don't have to carry all the heavy gear :)

Back
Top Bottom