The new Dream Theater album.

IMHO, I think the album 2 basic problems are the lack of Portnoy, it's clearly now how big was his part and the 2nd problem is self-producing, I myself don’t believe in that approach, the production should come "clean" from outside of the band, a person with an external wide point of view and not from inside.

I have every CD they ever made including the 2 LTE etc., this album for me is a grinder of notes that repeats, I don’t have problem with shredding as long as its colorful, this one is for me all black & white which repeats with differed shades of gray.
It's really pisses me of as they are my favorite band.

Not a fan. Apart from the type of music, I dislike the keyboard sounds. Symphonic choirs and the like. Yuk. They make everything sound so dated (80s).

Not a fan. Apart from the type of music, I dislike the keyboard sounds. Symphonic choirs and the like. Yuk. They make everything sound so dated (80s).
LOL :lol That's probably why I like it. I'm dated. And come from a classically trained background. Different strokes... makes the world go round.

IMHO, I think the album 2 basic problems are the lack of Portnoy, it's clearly now how big was his part and the 2nd problem is self-producing, I myself don’t believe in that approach, the production should come "clean" from outside of the band, a person with an external wide point of view and not from inside.

I have every CD they ever made including the 2 LTE etc., this album for me is a grinder of notes that repeats, I don’t have problem with shredding as long as its colorful, this one is for me all black & white which repeats with differed shades of gray.
It's really pisses me of as they are my favorite band.

I absolutely agree about the need for an external producer. Very few bands can self-produce effectively. As much as they disliked David Prater, I thought that sounded best with him producing (though I am biased and do like the 80s style production :) )Mind you, that was before the days of hyper-compression and loudness wars... Iron Maiden could do with an outside producer rather than 'arry's mate Kevin Shirley, they sound terrible on record these days imo)

Well DT did Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and produced it with Portnoy and also Scenes From A Memory,those were really well done. I guess someone people wouldn't like the music and some would,its quiet natural in the music world. If any outside producer were to ever work with Dream Theater,then I would say Steven Wilson would be the right guy.

Still a DT fan....BUTT..... I have never had such a Band boner for their music since "Images and Words" & "Awake" - It changed once Kevin Moore split. Oddly enough reports say he left before the awake tour started because he didn't like that type of music anymore. If it was me and I had the magic formula but didn't like the "taste", I would endure for the fans, chicks an paycheck. Its a tough life but someones got to please me. :D

Still a DT fan....BUTT..... I have never had such a Band boner for their music since "Images and Words" & "Awake" - It changed once Kevin Moore split. Oddly enough reports say he left before the awake tour started because he didn't like that type of music anymore. If it was me and I had the magic formula but didn't like the "taste", I would endure for the fans, chicks an paycheck. Its a tough life but someones got to please me. :D

Reading the DT biography, I got the impression that Kevin Moore was a difficult personality. While I agree that his going had a detrimental effect on the music, I would be interesting to see how long he would have lasted had he not elected to go for musical reasons. I seem to recall that he did come back for something and was equally difficult.

I am in the group that likes the early DT up in Six Degrees, my favorite being SFAM. I am a fan, own all their stuff and love Petrucci! but the metal days ....did not like that much. I like the last 2 albums with Magini. The new album, in my opinion is great... even liked the lyrics a lot from some of the songs... Looking forward to see them live again. Two of the best concerts I've been in terms of tone and clarity was Six Dergrees and SFAM.

Wow, a lot of dislike here for the new album. Personally, I like it. For the past decade, DT have been churning out solid, if unspectacular, efforts. Mind you, a bad DT album to me is still better than "good" Nickelback (if such a thing exists).

Does the new album grab hold of me and not let go for months and years like Images and Words / Awake did for my 20-23 year old self in the 90s? Sadly, no. That hasn't happened for quite some time. DT is an awesome band nonetheless. For me, Awake/Images&Words were two such awesome complimentary albums. Super progressive sounds with just the right heaviness where need be. The fact that they dropped right smack in the middle of the grunge years made them even more of a bold statement. In recent years I guess DT have realized that they have a strong fanbase with the metalheads, so we've gotten more of a metal style from them, but it's still good metal....if not the amazing prog that grabbed my younger self and made me a huge fan.

I love the pomp and majesty of False Awakening Suite. It reminds me of something Nighwish, another fave of mine, would put do. I think Mike has done a great job as drummer. I look forward to seeing them on tour.

Reading the DT biography, I got the impression that Kevin Moore was a difficult personality. While I agree that his going had a detrimental effect on the music, I would be interesting to see how long he would have lasted had he not elected to go for musical reasons. I seem to recall that he did come back for something and was equally difficult.

He never came back. Mike Portnoy was the first drummer for Kevin Moore's and Jim Matheos's band "OSI",Mike Portnoy did 2 albums with them but had no interest after that,he said Kevin Moore was very difficult to work with and there was no fun in doing something so restrained.

So when the third record was being worked upon Mike Portnoy refused to work on that.

Wow, a lot of dislike here for the new album. Personally, I like it. For the past decade, DT have been churning out solid, if unspectacular, efforts. Mind you, a bad DT album to me is still better than "good" Nickelback (if such a thing exists).

Does the new album grab hold of me and not let go for months and years like Images and Words / Awake did for my 20-23 year old self in the 90s? Sadly, no. That hasn't happened for quite some time. DT is an awesome band nonetheless. For me, Awake/Images&Words were two such awesome complimentary albums. Super progressive sounds with just the right heaviness where need be. The fact that they dropped right smack in the middle of the grunge years made them even more of a bold statement. In recent years I guess DT have realized that they have a strong fanbase with the metalheads, so we've gotten more of a metal style from them, but it's still good metal....if not the amazing prog that grabbed my younger self and made me a huge fan.

I love the pomp and majesty of False Awakening Suite. It reminds me of something Nighwish, another fave of mine, would put do. I think Mike has done a great job as drummer. I look forward to seeing them on tour.
My original thread on the new DT album has a lot of positive comments.

He never came back. Mike Portnoy was the first drummer for Kevin Moore's and Jim Matheos's band "OSI",Mike Portnoy did 2 albums with them but had no interest after that,he said Kevin Moore was very difficult to work with and there was no fun in doing something so restrained.

So when the third record was being worked upon Mike Portnoy refused to work on that.
yup. moore cut and pasted MP's drums for an industrial sort of sound and probably had some specific ideas for the drums, but that's not really what a collab project is about.

i'm not sure where i stand with current DT. DT is my favorite band. i got involved in 2000 - i saw MP's name in all the drum mags i read and was interested in getting into "odd times." so i bought the Once In a Live Time live album (i always judge new bands with live performances) and wow was i blown away! immediately bought everything else i could get and MP's drumming style is a huge part of how i play now.

for me, the later MP albums musically seemed to be very chord-based, rather than riff based. most classic metal songs are based on a riff - master of puppets, battery, walk, metropolis, under a glass moon - maybe even a particular drum groove. then the 1st Mangini album seemed even more chord-based.

but as they aged, it seems like they wanted to be "more melodic" but i feel they instead just got rid of awesome riffs and replaced it with chords, whole notes and the occasional melody accompany (which isn't a riff even though it may be single notes).

of course it's very difficult to have killer riffs for every song you create, and i'm not sure if it's a piano/pad influence on the guitars lately, but just something i've felt.

haven't really heard the latest album much, but i'm working my way through it.

for me as a drummer, i feel like MP wrote drum parts in a creative manner to make the drum part musically and physically interesting. MM's drum parts fit the songs well, but to me, nothing stands out too much. maybe it's just a different goal, but for me Dream Theatre has always been about showcasing their abilities - not for ego sake, but to show that you can break the rules to make something amazing compared to everything else out there.

maybe they feel they are still doing that, and rightly so. but for me it's just different or not what i go to dream theater for.

meh, i could go on for hours.

Last edited:
Lacked soul...
If anything this album had some of the most melodic passages and its a shame how people discard Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence,that album was the benchmark for Dream Theater.
This album has been really impressive since Six Degrees and definitely had plenty of melody. Petrucci used his old school of approach of constructing solos instead of just going in crazy shred mode.

Definitely I think Six Degrees is a very underrated DT album.

yup. moore cut and pasted MP's drums for an industrial sort of sound and probably had some specific ideas for the drums, but that's not really what a collab project is about.

i'm not sure where i stand with current DT. DT is my favorite band. i got involved in 2000 - i saw MP's name in all the drum mags i read and was interested in getting into "odd times." so i bought the Once In a Live Time live album (i always judge new bands with live performances) and wow was i blown away! immediately bought everything else i could get and MP's drumming style is a huge part of how i play now.

for me, the later MP albums musically seemed to be very chord-based, rather than riff based. most classic metal songs are based on a riff - master of puppets, battery, walk, metropolis, under a glass moon - maybe even a particular drum groove. then the 1st Mangini album seemed even more chord-based.

but as they aged, it seems like they wanted to be "more melodic" but i feel they instead just got rid of awesome riffs and replaced it with chords, whole notes and the occasional melody accompany (which isn't a riff even though it may be single notes).

of course it's very difficult to have killer riffs for every song you create, and i'm not sure if it's a piano/pad influence on the guitars lately, but just something i've felt.

haven't really heard the latest album much, but i'm working my way through it.

for me as a drummer, i feel like MP wrote drum parts in a creative manner to make the drum part musically and physically interesting. MM's drum parts fit the songs well, but to me, nothing stands out too much. maybe it's just a different goal, but for me Dream Theatre has always been about showcasing their abilities - not for ego sake, but to show that you can break the rules to make something amazing compared to everything else out there.

maybe they feel they are still doing that, and rightly so. but for me it's just different or not what i go to dream theater for.

meh, i could go on for hours.

I am impressed with Mike Mangini but got to agree there Portnoy came up with some very interesting drum parts. Live Scenes From New York was my first Dream Theater DVD,I was blown away.

I am impressed with Mike Mangini but got to agree there Portnoy came up with some very interesting drum parts.
I don't know if it's me or the production, but to me, Mangini sounds and plays like well programmed drum computer, while Portnoy sounds and plays like an excentric kind of guy - which makes him more exciting.

I don't know if it's me or the production, but to me, Mangini sounds and plays like well programmed drum computer, while Portnoy sounds and plays like an excentric kind of guy - which makes him more exciting.

Well yes Mangini is extremely spot on,like he could play a drum machine better than a software. I have accepted that but the production on the HD tracks show more dynamics of Mangini's drumming and it sounds much better than the regular edition. I think Petrucci over-produced this album,the drums on the CD version sound way too compressed while on the HD tracks they are more open.

I like the new album quite a bit. I don't own their whole discography, so I may not be the best judge of how it compares to the entire arc of their career.

Back
Top Bottom