Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc

Bill Piersall

Experienced
Are these all interchangeable as far as connectors and function?

From what I've read, both use the RJ45 connector, and the "e" is shielded.
Cat5 is good for 100Mhz, Cat6 1000Mhz.

Can a Cat6 cable be used with the Axe II?

Anyone have a source for a high quality 25-50', Right Angle or swivel cable?
Looking for good solution between MFC-101mk2 and Axe II. I don't have the Axe II mk2.

Would like a right angle at back of MFC to keep cabling better protected.
Somewhere in a past post, I'd seen a fellow forumite that had a way to secure cable at back of MFC. Couldn't find post by search, anyone remember this?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Are these all interchangeable as far as connectors and function?

From what I've read, both use the RJ45 connector, and the "e" is shielded.
Cat5 is good for 100Mhz, Cat6 1000Mhz.

Can a Cat6 cable be used with the Axe II?

Difference is the speed it can transmit in computer networks:
cat 5 max 100mbit
cat 5(e) max 1000mbit 100mhz
cat 6 max 1000mbit 250mhz

But since the Axe transfers only midi signal through it, it doesn't make use of that speeds.
You can use all of them for the Axe, you won't feel or hear any difference.
Connectos are all RJ-45

Thanks!
I have a buddy that got a Cat cable from Best-tronics. It wouldn't work. They swapped cables, still no go. He even sent MFC back to Fractal to be checked, but it was fine. He's able to use other Cat5 cables though.
Any idea why this would be? I would think all Cat5 cable would adhere to the same specs.

Also, I know no audio runs through data cable, what advantage, if any, would there be to shielding cable?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone

A CAT5 or 6 cable will be much sturdier on stage. Electrically no difference (with the Axe).

A CAT5 or 6 cable will be much sturdier on stage. Electrically no difference (with the Axe).

I am using Cat5 now, because its sturdy and powers MFC. Really would like to get right angle or swivel connector though, so I can't protect cable a bit better at back of MFC.
Does shielding matter?

I able to find Cat6 and some Cat5e right angle stuff, just want to be sure I get a cable that will work.

I agree electrically they should be the same, but see my above post. Buddy had trouble with 2 different cables from Best-tronics. The cable from Best-tronics is sold for the Axe, and has worked for others, just not my buddy.

Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks!
I have a buddy that got a Cat cable from Best-tronics. It wouldn't work. They swapped cables, still no go. He even sent MFC back to Fractal to be checked, but it was fine. He's able to use other Cat5 cables though.
Any idea why this would be? I would think all Cat5 cable would adhere to the same specs.

Also, I know no audio runs through data cable, what advantage, if any, would there be to shielding cable?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone

You sure it wasn't a "Cross cable" per accident?
Looks the same, but it's wired different and doesn't work.

You sure it wasn't a "Cross cable" per accident?
Looks the same, but it's wired different and doesn't work.

Cable was swapped by Best-tronics, so 2 different cables. They sell it specifically for MFC.
I'll follow up with him tomorrow, but I believe the 2nd cable that didn't work for him, worked for another Axe user.
That's what prompted sending MFC into Fractal to be checked. It checked out ok.
Also believe Support had heard of issue before, but again, I'll follow up with him to verify.

I would assume, always a risk, that Cat5 cables should all adhere to same specs.

Anyone know of heavy duty, high quality, Right Angle-Straight cable?

I'll keep looking for post I mentioned above. Another forum member had fabricated a bracket of some sort that he used to keep Cat5 cable secure at back if MFC.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Cat 5, 5e and 6 will all perform identically and interchangeably with MFC signals (which are faster than traditional MIDI, but slower than the signals that even Cat 5 is designed to carry).

Shielding is a separate issue. Any category of ethernet cable or jack can be bought either shielded or not. For Axe users, shielding doesn't matter. It only helps when you have high-speed signals in ridiculously noisy industrial environments.

It was probably a crossover cable. They're wired differently from straight-through ethernet cables. They're intended to connect different types of ethernet ports together.

Cat 5, 5e and 6 will all perform identically and interchangeably with MFC signals (which are faster than traditional MIDI, but slower than the signals that even Cat 5 is designed to carry).

Shielding is a separate issue. Any category of ethernet cable or jack can be bought either shielded or not. For Axe users, shielding doesn't matter. It only helps when you have high-speed signals in ridiculously noisy industrial environments.

Thanks! Really appreciate everyone's input.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
I had some connection problems, using the "MFC" Best-Tronics cables, after getting the Vafam breakout panel. Vafam even sent me a replacement part.
But it wasn't the panel, it's the Best-Tronics cables. Each time I switched to a regular Ethernet cable after having connection problems (name timeout or slow data transfer), the issue went away.
It seems like the rj45 connectors on the Best-Tronics are slightly longer than ususal. In any case, I have to make sure they really "click" into the MFC / Vafam / Axe-Fx (taking more attention than regular cables) and that they don't come loose (which happens faster to these than other cables).
Just my personal experience.

I had some connection problems, using the "MFC" Best-Tronics cables, after getting the Vafam breakout panel. Vafam even sent me a replacement part.
But it wasn't the panel, it's the Best-Tronics cables. Each time I switched to a regular Ethernet cable after having connection problems (name timeout or slow data transfer), the issue went away.
It seems like the rj45 connectors on the Best-Tronics are slightly longer than ususal. In any case, I have to make sure they really "click" into the MFC / Vafam / Axe-Fx (taking more attention than regular cables) and that they don't come loose (which happens faster to these than other cables).

Thanks Yek, always a wealth of knowledge. Thought I was remembering it correctly, just wanted to be sure.

You may know, about a year ago or so a forum member posted a solution, pics etc of a bracket he used to tidy up cabling on back of MFC. Ring any bells? Searching now.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Yek, always a wealth of knowledge. Thought I was remembering it correctly, just wanted to be sure.

You may know, about a year ago or so a forum member posted a solution, pics etc of a bracket he used to tidy up cabling on back of MFC. Ring any bells? Searching now.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone

Luke maybe?

EDIT: yes, it';s Luke. Check this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...ur-mfc-setups-post-your-pix-9.html#post751543
But you gotta ask him for new pictures.

Last edited:

Wow that surprises me. I have known them to make great cables. I will mention this to the owner as I am a friend of his.

Reactions: yek
Buy a cable with Neutrik connectors. Many af the Chinese XLR/CAT-types don't align the RJ-45 part precisely in the housing making all kind of connection issues.

Wow that surprises me. I have known them to make great cables. I will mention this to the owner as I am a friend of his.

The reason I pointed at the Best-Tronics cable connectors, is that I own two of their cables and it happens with both.

midi cable ;) no seriously what's wrong with using a midi cable over the cat 5? Seems like lots of issues with the cat5 stuff.

The reason I pointed at the Best-Tronics cable connectors, is that I own two of their cables and it happens with both.

Hey Yek
I will let them know that there have been some issues and that maybe they should look into a different connector for the Fractal cables. They have like everything under the sun when it comes to cables for audio and networking

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom