Question for the v11 beta testers

Also agreed, maschoff. I think we are now approaching the point where the impulse response is going to be the weak link in the chain. The new IRs sound awesome, but the very nature of the technology is limited. My understanding is that Nebula starts to bridge the gap between how a speaker behaves in a dynamic performance, so if Fractal can figure out a way to integrate a similar tech into their speaker cab emulation it's game on. Motor Drive and Thunk are promising endeavors, so I'm interested to see where it's going. And before somebody jumps in here and says they're basically the most perfect blah blah blah, remember that not too long ago Red Wirez was the absolutely most killer series of IRs on the market. And when you compare them to the new Ownhammer and Fractal IRs, it's pretty much just silly.

If I wasn't living in an apartment and a had decent treated room, there is no doubt in my mind I wouldn't be using DI to record guitars. I'd hook my Axe-fx II up to a tube power amp like a Mesa 2:90, invest in a couple cabs (for modern and some more vintage-type tones), and mic my cabs into an excellent pre. But it's just not reasonable for me to do so. So IRs it is. For now.

Why are there EQ changes if v10 was already at the point where "further emulation detail wouldn't even be noticed"? Not mad, just curious.

You *might* feel the differences are worth adjusting. The words are very important here - you MIGHT and FEEL being the primary points worth considering.

This is NOT a wholesale dial it from scratch or else(!) sort of thing. That needs to be stressed. Nothing is ever absolute though. If nothing else remember this:

Nothing, no matter how good it actually is, cannot be improved.

Which is why one should stay away from superlatives, unless it's apriori and inherent. No need to look up those two words, they fit neither the internet, nor guitar gear ;)

I think everyone using superlatives mostly is just offering an opinion. I think the sport of calling people out for doing it is just that; and they are assuming such adjectives are meant in a literal sense and they really aren't. If you dig it, there's no shame in digging it. The way to start a battle on the web is to use the world 'best' or 'versus', everyone gets personal about it when there is no need.

I think the biggest issue is people assuming 'objective' fact, when instead it is really 'subjective' opinion being offered. Never will the two meet. ;) :D

sometimes it doesn't need to be improved, it needs to stay great :)

You have the wrong gear if you want it to stay the same. ;) I've never seen another company that pushes harder to make it better for the owners. Cliff is relentless in this and never sitting still. IMHO, more "greater" please. V.11 won't let you down Paco, you have my word. :D

I think everyone using superlatives mostly is just offering an opinion.

It's obviously my personal opinion, but to me (constant) talking in superlatives is just bad style.

I think the sport of calling people out for doing it is just that; and they are assuming such adjectives are meant in a literal sense and they really aren't.

Well, superlatives are well-defined in their meaning. This is not an opinion, but a fact. An easy cure is to say what you mean and not rely on others to interprete*. Of course there are always people doing just that on purpose, leaving everything at interpretation and blame the reader for acting accordingly.

If you dig it, there's no shame in digging it. The way to start a battle on the web is to use the world 'best' or 'versus', everyone gets personal about it when there is no need.

Hence my suggestion to refrain from overdoing superlatives.

I think the biggest issue is people assuming 'objective' fact, when instead it is really 'subjective' opinion being offered. Never will the two meet. ;) :D

Agreed, but both writers and readers can do better to discriminate those two. It's neither rhetorics nor semantics but just reasonable use of language.

* I'm fully aware that there's always some bit of interpretation going on, even if you leave irony and humour out of the equation. But you can minimize that with a little effort.

You have the wrong gear if you want it to stay the same. ;) I've never seen another company that pushes harder to make it better for the owners. Cliff is relentless in this and never sitting still. IMHO, more "greater" please. V.11 won't let you down Paco, you have my word. :D

Amen to that!

It's obviously my personal opinion, but to me (constant) talking in superlatives is just bad style.

Well, superlatives are well-defined in their meaning. This is not an opinion, but a fact. An easy cure is to say what you mean and not rely on others to interprete*. Of course there are always people doing just that on purpose, leaving everything at interpretation and blame the reader for acting accordingly.

Agreed, but both writers and readers can do better to discriminate those two. It's neither rhetorics nor semantics but just reasonable use of language.

* I'm fully aware that there's always some bit of interpretation going on, even if you leave irony and humour out of the equation. But you can minimize that with a little effort.

True, but the Internet will be a frustrating experience given your criteria. You can't take it all that seriously or you'll not enjoy it. ;)

Cliff, on a simple % basis, how close are you, in the Axe's digital domain, to a real amp (assuming currently available processing power)?

Based on a blind test, I would assume you are converging to the real amps similar to how digital photography is very close to film (camers have gone from 1/2 mega pixels to 20+).

I'm sure there will always be minute differences, but I also can't believe they will be noticeable to the human ear.

Just curious if you will need to have a v12 or v20 to get there. I'm sure you could use some rest and would like to focus on other things.

M

Dude, I think someone has ventured way off the original subject matter. What's going on??
The original subject was "If I create lots using 11b am I going to have to make major or minor tweaks when the finished 11 is released?".
Is what is below relevant to a new guy setting up his Axe-FX?
Maybe it's time for a Samual Adams..
Maybe it's too much AE 3.0 pre-release tension building up.
Yanesnayo.

remember that not too long ago Red Wirez was the absolutely most killer series of IRs on the market. And when you compare them to the new Ownhammer and Fractal IRs, it's pretty much just silly.
RedWirez is still awesome, dude. Remember that they are tools for a custom mix and are not meant to be used in the same way as the new OwnHammer and Fractal finished mix IRs.

Dude, the new OH IRs come with separate mics if you want to mix them yourself, as do the Fractal cab packs. And I don't mean to be cruel here. I own the Big Box Collection. The new OH IRs are so much better sounding that it's ludicrous when they are compared side by side. I tested and tested to make sure I wasn't just hyping myself into believing. I can't even get close to how realistic the OH cab IRs sound no matter how much I EQ, mix, and dick with the Redwirez stuff. It's like comparing an apple to a tasty, steaming apple pie.

I'm sure the internet will get behind this. I've talked to roughly 83.7% of the people on the internet and there is definitely a sense of unrest regarding superlative misuse. This could be the spark we've all been waiting for.

It's time...

Dude, the new OH IRs come with separate mics if you want to mix them yourself, as do the Fractal cab packs. And I don't mean to be cruel here. I own the Big Box Collection. The new OH IRs are so much better sounding that it's ludicrous when they are compared side by side. I tested and tested to make sure I wasn't just hyping myself into believing. I can't even get close to how realistic the OH cab IRs sound no matter how much I EQ, mix, and dick with the Redwirez stuff. It's like comparing an apple to a tasty, steaming apple pie.
Dunno, I got the RedWirez stuff to sound like apple pie.

My Axe-FX II just spoke to me....:shock IT said......... "Lawrence Welk is looking for you, he found that Gorilla amp with the built in reverb we lost in the mid 80's!" "Right now we only need 1.21 jiggawatts to go back and get it"

Back
Top Bottom