AFX II Leslie simulation

I don't know how to say this without getting flamed. I think everyone here knows I'm a die hard Axe man. So I'll just go ahead and say it as a hope for improvement.

I spent three days this past week with my good friend's Strymon Lex in my Axe's loop doing extensive A/B testing. Between it and the Rotary in the II, there is honestly very little comparison. The Lex is just better. Of course, it does only the one. But man does it do it.

I'm hoping FAS continues to devote some time to upping the Rotary's algorithms.

Agreed, I have a lex. However, there is a cost for all this stuff. The strymon has an entire processor dedicated to doing just one effect. The axefx 2 has a powerfull processor but if it puts all it resources to make the rotary, delay, reverb, chorus, flanging, phasing, etc to the level of resources that the strymon puts out, we probably wouldn't be able but a couple of effects per patch.
Virtually all these improvement have a CPU cost.

Just something to keep in mind.

Javajunkie or anyone else in the know:

Can the Axefx II be expanded in any way in the future, either internally or via the USB, to include more processors to accomplish such tasks as the Strymon pedals?
Although better discussed in another tread, I hope FAS can do more in the area of effects rather than more amps in the future. Having previously owned 5 Strymon pedals in the past, I believe Strymon is the Gold standard with effects.

javajunkie said:
Agreed, I have a lex. However, there is a cost for all this stuff. The strymon has an entire processor dedicated to doing just one effect. The axefx 2 has a powerfull processor but if it puts all it resources to make the rotary, delay, reverb, chorus, flanging, phasing, etc to the level of resources that the strymon puts out, we probably wouldn't be able but a couple of effects per patch.
Virtually all these improvement have a CPU cost.

Just something to keep in mind.

Of course. Each Strymon has an entire SHARC devoted to the single effect.

Personally, since I use a lot of "same amp, different effect settings" presets, CPU isn't a huge consideration for me, so I'd have little problem with seeing some effects use a lot. But that's just me.

For what its worth, I've been able to play with all the Strymons save the compressor/boost, and I don't think any of the others best the Axe II in any way. Only the Lex.

Javajunkie or anyone else in the know:

Can the Axefx II be expanded in any way in the future, either internally or via the USB, to include more processors to accomplish such tasks as the Strymon pedals?
Although better discussed in another tread, I hope FAS can do more in the area of effects rather than more amps in the future. Having previously owned 5 Strymon pedals in the past, I believe Strymon is the Gold standard with effects.
I have been writing in on this issue for a very long time, even started a thread about it a while back that eventually got moved to the wish list and died for whatever reason. I also wish cliff would devote more time to improving the fx to match the improvements in the amp sim department.

I clicked on the email link and was reacting to this quote. But didn't see there were some other post in between.
No doubt about it, the Strymon Lex is amazing...

Personally I agree with Jandjrs. The effect section in the Axe fx is already great but I also would FAS to do more on effect updates/improvement in the future than on the Amp section. Which is the main focus of the machine lately. I only use four amps and cabs or so. So the effect section is more important to me. Sometimes I feel there are some pedals out there that do the job of the individual effects better than the Axe. But that is because they are dedicated to just one effect. However I have no complaints because the Axe can do so much more than just the individual effects.

Last edited:
It would be cool if there were 2 rotary modes, one more CPU intensive with more realistic sound for recording or minimalistic patches, and one less CPU intensive mode for live use with large virtual pedalboards.

Of course. Each Strymon has an entire SHARC devoted to the single effect.

Personally, since I use a lot of "same amp, different effect settings" presets, CPU isn't a huge consideration for me, so I'd have little problem with seeing some effects use a lot. But that's just me.

+1

"high res" or "high cpu" versions of some efx would be be very useful for me too.

Richard

The timeline and el cap are fantastic pedals, but I didn't find them to be anything to write home about versus the Axe's delays. The delays in the II are stellar and clearly where a lot of R&D time went.

If there's any benefit of those pedals over the Axe, it's ease of getting sounds with the manual's suggested presets. But we have sharable patches/blocks and MANY more tweaking options. I'll take that any day.

I use the Leslie about 3 time per gig and when I do, it's just balls to the wall and in everyones face (like Jon Lord B3 in your face). I find that my Strat loaded with Van Zandt's , into a hot / boosted Class-A 30W TB pushed into the leslie is almost enough to make people wet themselves. I can play a whole night pulling everything else out of the hat and that's the sound that gets the people coming up and asking about it. The leslie is probably the biggest ace in the hole for me.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to get the Axe II to get very close to replicating my Neo Ventilator but I'm still in the learning curve with all this stuff. I do agree with the suggestions towards getting more FX cloned by FAS. The Eternity and AC Boost are welcomed additions.. just encouraging the development of more of these types by Cliff and company.

I use the Leslie about 3 time per gig and when I do, it's just balls to the wall and in everyones face (like Jon Lord B3 in your face). I find that my Strat loaded with Van Zandt's , into a hot / boosted Class-A 30W TB pushed into the leslie is almost enough to make people wet themselves. I can play a whole night pulling everything else out of the hat and that's the sound that gets the people coming up and asking about it. The leslie is probably the biggest ace in the hole for me.

with statesments like that you have to share the patch of course. Otherwise we will not believe it. ;)

With the improvements that have been made to the rotary effect since this thread was started, and the current firmware, what have you guys come up with for your current leslie settings? Where in the chain do you prefer the leslie? In series or parallell? In mono or stereo? I'm looking for that "Badge" sound from Cream; David Gilmour's leslie sound; SRV's leslie sound; the "Little Wing" leslie sound.

Back
Top Bottom