NL12 Neolight ( 17lb ) are in stock ready for shipping

What made you decide to pick up the NL12, if you already have a Q12.... weight ?

Unfortunately I have to factor weight into my purchase decisions.

That being said, I want to have a good non-FRFR cab in my axe gigging tool kit.

As much as I dig the tone and feel of the Q12 -- it is still a monitor -- not a real guitar cab.

One of the reasons I went the amp route (GT1000) was to have the flexibility of switching between FRFR and real cabs.

I have been playing and gigging with tube amps for 40 some odd years.

2013 is the first time (if you can believe that) I actually gigged with something that did not have tubes in it.

Wow, that amp sounds GORGEOUS. If you get the chance to create a clean Dumble patch based off of this thing... I sure hope you're into sharing. :D

My friend that purchased the Welagen owns several real Dumbles. I might have to drag a real "Fractal" expert with me to help with the creation of the patch. It will be interesting and fun!

Ah... I think I'll get a Mesa 1x12 or Orange 1x12 instead then. No offence to this product in any way but 1x12s are not heavy to begin with and if it’s better without cab sims then I might aswell get one with a speaker I trust. But that's just my opinion. :)

I love the old Mesa thiele 1x12 cabs. Have you ever played one of those with a well broken in vintage EVM-12L?

That is one of my all time favorite speaker/cab combinations.

I still have a vintage EVM12L -- unfortunately that speaker by itself weighs more than the NL12 Neolight
eek.gif

Nah haven't had the chance to try them out. Loved my Mesa and Orange 2x12s and 4x12s and don't think the 1x12 will fail me either. I've heard great things about the Orange 1x12 like it can sound almost 4x12ish and actually sounds great when mic'ed unlike most 1x12s.

Nah haven't had the chance to try them out. Loved my Mesa and Orange 2x12s and 4x12s and don't think the 1x12 will fail me either. I've heard great things about the Orange 1x12 like it can sound almost 4x12ish and actually sounds great when mic'ed unlike most 1x12s.

Here is a picture of Larry Carlton's wet/dry rig. He uses a ported 1x12 cab. His setup is very interesting. The amp is dry. He mikes the cab and feeds the amp signal to a mixer where he combines his effects and then feeds the "wet" signal to a couple of powered JBL speakers.

If you never had the chance to see Larry live you should check him out.

Not only is his playing brilliant -- but his live sound is huge and equally brilliant.

I need to figure out how to duplicate this type of rig with the Axe -- use the Q12 as my effects feed and the 1x12 for my dry guitar signal.

larrys_rig.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have to factor weight into my purchase decisions.

That being said, I want to have a good non-FRFR cab in my axe gigging tool kit.

As much as I dig the tone and feel of the Q12 -- it is still a monitor -- not a real guitar cab.

One of the reasons I went the amp route (GT1000) was to have the flexibility of switching between FRFR and real cabs.

I have been playing and gigging with tube amps for 40 some odd years.

2013 is the first time (if you can believe that) I actually gigged with something that did not have tubes in it.

Trust me, when you recieve your new box, you will really feel the urge to open it.
You will think "did they forget to put a speaker in this", "this cant be true", "this really cant sound of anything" and so on. It weighs NOTHING.
All only untill you plug it in :) It is amazing.
And works remarkably well with cabs on aswell.

Reactions: LVC
Here is a picture of Larry Carlton's wet/dry rig. He uses a ported 1x12 cab. His setup is very interesting. The amp is dry. He mikes the cab and feeds the amp signal to a mixer where he combines his effects and then feeds the "wet" signal to a couple of powered JBL speakers.

If you never had the chance to see Larry live you should check him out.

Not only is his playing brilliant -- but his live sound is huge and equally brilliant.

I need to figure out how to duplicate this type of rig with the Axe -- use the Q12 as my effects feed and the 1x12 for my dry guitar signal.

larrys_rig.jpg

Hey LV - I'm aiming myself at using my GT800 for the wets (with my theile EVM 1x12s) and a GM50 into.... an NL12 for Dry? All without cab sims, so there's enough outs in the Axe.

Hey LV - I'm aiming myself at using my GT800 for the wets (with my theile EVM 1x12s) and a GM50 into.... an NL12 for Dry? All without cab sims, so there's enough outs in the Axe.

Yeah what I am thinking is using the 1x12 for 100% dry and the Q12 for the wet mix.

There are plenty of outputs on the Axe so I am willing to bet you can setup the exact same rig with the Axe (even if you wanted to use two powered monitors like Larry does).

My Axe skills are still at pre-school levels -- so I need to take baby steps.

Using the two channels of the GT1000 (one for the Q12 and one for the 1x12) might be the way for me to initially go. Easy to control the mix via the A/B channel levels on the GT1000.

If I really wanted to go crazy I can daisy chain two Q12s and put one on each side of the 1x12.

The wet monitor will have to have a cab sim (in my case it would be great if Matrix shot some IRs of their ported 1x12). In Larry's rig, the wet signal takes the dry feed from the 1x12 so the output is not just effects -- it has the cab as well since the 1x12 cab is miked and fed to the board for mixing with the effects for output through the jbl monitors.

That is what he hears as a back line. The wet signal (which includes the cab) and dry signal is sent to FOH as a mix. Larry maintains control of the mix from the board he keeps on stage. He uses it to tweak his effects in the mix.

Here is a more complete picture of his rig on stage

http---truefirecom-335-pdf-lc_gearpdf-AdobeReader.jpg

Last edited:
If the 2x12 offered two inputs then setting up the Wet/dry rig would be even easier (I think) -- you would not need any cab sims for the non-FRFR, and you would use the same cab sims for the FRFR 2x12.

Not sure if a stacked 2x12 would sound good for this application ---- only one way to find out :)

FWIW, I too have experimented with this type of rig (albeit on a much smaller scale) and this is the best configuration I have ever played through (WDW with direct amp as the dry, and cab sim'd signal going to powered PA cabs).

I ran a Zoom G3 into the front of a Peavey Classic 30 combo (that I got for next to nothing) into a 1x12 extension cab for the dry. The FX send signal from the C30 went out to an Apogee JAM into my iPad running cab sims/post effects in Ampkit, which was also run in parallel with Sampletank virtual instruments via the Fishman Triple Play through Audiobus into Loopy HD out to powered PA speakers in stereo. Even though this stuff isn't top notch gear, the concept and potential of this type of setup was Godlike.

What is even cooler about Larry's version above is that the cab is mic'd so the "PA" part of the rig it is totally independent of the "Amp" part which should remove the chances of ground loops or other potential issues. Might give that a try too just to compare. The problem with this rig is that it is so much crap to schlep around.

Last edited:
FWIW, I too have experimented with this type of rig (albeit on a much smaller scale) and this is the best configuration I have ever played through (WDW with direct amp as the dry, and cab sim'd signal going to powered PA cabs)..

In a nut shell -- what Larry is doing is replicating how he records in the studio with his live rig. At least that is how he described it to me when we had a chance to chat at one of his gigs. Essentially he is taking his "Room 335" studio recording setup on the road -- and you are right WDW setup is about as good as it gets!

I've got a brace of Eon15's as pub rig PA, and had an analogue set up which I could switch the Wets (in stereo) into the PA as an effect. Great as it's a three-piece band. Very effective.

It's only the dry that doesn't sound right through Eons - as I tried ages ago, before getting sucked into all this FRFR or cab/amp debate. The Wets sound very sparkly, wide and rather beautiful, even if overdriven.

The Effect always went down well...

Last edited:
I've got a brace of Eon15's as pub rig PA, and had an analogue set up which I could switch the Wets (in stereo) into the PA as an effect. Great as it's a three-piece band. Very effective.

It's only the dry that doesn't sound right through Eons - as I tried ages ago, before getting sucked into all this FRFR or cab/amp debate. The Wets sound very sparkly, wide and rather beautiful, even if overdriven.

The Effect always went down well...

The dry IMO needs to go through a real cab. It has to be a raw -- I think that is one of the secret ingredients of the WDW "recipe"

So the second ODS head is just a backup? Must be nice, lol.

Yep.

Last time I saw him was at the Beacon with Steely Dan and he was playing a Bludotone. He brought a few of them from what I understand to keep in Europe so he does not have to ship his Dumbles around the world. Lots of the top cats that own and play dumbles have done this.

Brandon at Bludotone who is a top notch builder and "cloner" has cloned the personal dumble amps of Carlos Santana, Robben Ford and of course Larry Carlton.

Please let me know how it goes. There are a few places around my area that don't have PA systems and I currently don't own one.

Please let me know how it goes. There are a few places around my area that don't have PA systems and I currently don't own one.

None of the clubs/pubs I play in have FOH systems for the band. Not one. I would love to play at a club that has FOH like a few of the cats here do --- but honestly that does not exist in NJ and even in the clubs I occasionally play in NY.

The way we setup is fairly straight forward and I think it is fairly typical for pub bands.

We are a 6 piece band

Keyboards (plays horns on keys as well)
Drummer
Bass
2 singers
1 guitar - me

Sometimes we bring in a sax player.

PA - vocals only
Everybody else is on their own :lol

Awesome clips thanks guys I know in Toms video it said he was using the matrix 1000 and it sounded great so I am assuming the 1000 is perfect for it. I definitely want a good stereo sound would I be better off going with 2 1x12s or waiting for the 2x12 to come out. Also would it be enough to play with a band if I didn't have a way of running through a PA system say at a small bar or at a practice.
Still wondering about the stereo, should I go with the 2 1x12 or the 2x12

Still wondering about the stereo, should I go with the 2 1x12 or the 2x12

Waiting for my info on the 2x12 myself --- but I do not see how a stacked 2x12 would work for stereo. I think to get a good stereo spread you will still need two.

Personally I never use stereo when I play out.

I don't think the patrons of the pubs I play in would even notice if I was running a stereo rig.

Back
Top Bottom