How to increase sustain on lead tones?

the comp parameter in the amp block helps a bit

I think firmware 10 improves a bit the sustain, I can get musical feedback easily.

I don't know if this is true or why is it happening, but this is what I'm experiencing

Good guitars.
No problems with sustain, can hold notes for minutes. If on the verge of feeding back of course, which is not that hard to get to. Actually never had problems even from the Ultra days. Using some delay/reverb helps with feedback.

You can of course add some compression to boost the end of trails, but that will boost noise as well.

you can also check the gate and open up the release time
that is assuming you have quite strong gate settings

also, a big factor in this is the guitar itself....
essentially the sustain has to actually be there in the first place..
is the guitar you're using one that has a strong sustain by virtue of it's design, materials, build quality and setup??
also pup height will impact sustain
too low = less signal
too high = more magnetism imparted on the string, which inhibits its ability to vibrate [and therefore chokes the sustain]
loose crap on the guitar won't help either [neck bolts, locking nut <if you have one> etc

There's a ton of different things that can be done to increase sustain.

I find that a lot of the time the choice of amp and even cab makes a big difference. For example, the Bludojai Lead amp has sustain for days, assuming drive and MV are high enough. Generally, you need more mids for a lead tone vs. rhythm. I find the extra mids help with sustain. Picking a "middy" amp and/or cab helps.

Some things to try:

Comp block early in chain (play with the level settings)
Null filter or Vol block acting as a level boost early in chain
Drive blocks (try using the FET boost or Tube Drive if you want to keep the coloration to a minimum).
Increasing drive and/or MV in amp block
MBC late in chain
Delay and/or Reverb (a must IMO for most lead tones) also seems to help

All these things can help. However, as mentioned previously, if your guitar naturally has little sustain you'll be forever fighting it.

What no one has mentioned above: Your technique. Introduce a vibrato, and your note will sustain longer - if done correctly.

the comp parameter in the amp block helps a bit

I think firmware 10 improves a bit the sustain, I can get musical feedback easily.

I don't know if this is true or why is it happening, but this is what I'm experiencing

Could you tell me a bit more about what the COMP parameter is doing?
Do you also use the SAT?

When the string tone decays it start from 1 harmonic so higher harmonics still ring. Cranking up B cap can encrease sustain....

Der JD has it: putting a compressor in front of the amp is a classic recipe for sustain.

Back
Top Bottom