V10 Dont waste your time with v9 Presets!

kippiejr

Inspired
Instead of taking hours to resurrect you V9 presets. Take 10 minutes to start from scratch. It sucks, but you will finish sooner and be happier in the end. No one likes starting over, but just pretend you have a new AFX II with V10. O'yeah, including all new V10 presets. Bring that ear that made your V9 preset awesome and your V10 will not disappoint. It seems to be the theme of all who love V10. In might and for me include a different amp and/or cab.. It's there, go find it.

JLP

Excellent advice. Spend time studying the new V10 presets. It will help you dial in the new firmware so much easier when trying to rework your old stuff.

It's weird for me. If I try to recreate my favorite preset from v9 from scratch in v10 it sux, but if I recall my favorite preset from rom that I stored change the cab type to a couple of the new ir's and a few minor tweaks its rocks big time. I wonder why it's like that. The new ir's, specifically the Basketweave TX and Ax sound great in my tweaked v9 patch, but sound muffled in anything from scratch. My favorite patch consisted of the Cameron CCV channel 1 with a boost, I notice in version 10 it has way less gain with the boost off.

I don't even know what my v9 presets sounded like after upgrading to v10; before I even plugged in the guitar I initialized all my AMP and CAB blocks and started from there...I've too have always nuked the AMP block after a firmware upgrade. Less surprises and is the quickest way back to your tones in my experience.

It's weird for me. If I try to recreate my favorite preset from v9 from scratch in v10 it sux, but if I recall my favorite preset from rom that I stored change the cab type to a couple of the new ir's and a few minor tweaks its rocks big time. I wonder why it's like that. The new ir's, specifically the Basketweave TX and Ax sound great in my tweaked v9 patch, but sound muffled in anything from scratch. My favorite patch consisted of the Cameron CCV channel 1 with a boost, I notice in version 10 it has way less gain with the boost off.

Not to be harsh but say goodbye to your favorite preset...It died unless you want to stay with V9. Starting from scratch mean just that. It might not be that amp anymore. If basketweave TX is your great IR, try it with all the amps. switch an try all the drive pedals.. Sorry but scratch means from -0-. It's in there. Remember how much time it took you to dial in your favorite V9, Go find your V10 preset, it is in there, and when you do..look out!

I at first was pissed when I lost my three greatest TMA blocks. ENGL,MESA,ORANGE. Found my AMP block, minor tweak and don't even care anymore about the TMA. I wish i had the hours spent tweaking to those TMA's back..lol

Yep,after posting a thread about loosing all my V9 presets,I'm now starting from nothing.
I used to go for Energyball for my main Rythm Patches,now I think it's way to "boomy" and I'm creating one with 5153 Red,which sounds great.

I must admit recreating all the presets is a good exercise for your ears,plus since V9,I have the impression that dialing some great tones is very easy.

I've usually just salvaged the handful of patches that I have. I don't need a ton of sounds, but my primary patch was horribly screwed up after this update. It had a TM block in it and it was feeding back as soon as I touched the volume pot on the guitar. It was borked and I wanted to play with the new toys.

I downloaded the new factory presets, started demoing a few to pick out which ones I thought had potential. Well that wasted about 4 hours of my life. I mean everyone of them was a keeper after the first bank so I said screw it and nuked the whole thing and loaded the new presets.

First thing I noticed is that there is less of a sweet spot on most of the amps. Usually I'd look for that one setting that was "it" and it's like everything I touch (within reason of course) is like "damn that's great".

I'm sure that once I start dialing in for specific tones that it'll be a bit more laborious, but I have to admit that after a few TMB and drive block tweaks and a little messing with the reverb most of the new patches sound better than my best efforts on the older firmware.

Sometimes it is best to just let go and dive in like it's a new box all together. If you gig or are in the middle of a recording project that probably sucks, but in the long run I think that it's worth the short term pain.

The good news is that these sorts of drastic changes shouldn't happen again. Since MIMIC guarantees that the model sounds like the amp there won't be any huge changes in tone in future updates.

Now it's all about IRs. IRs are your fundamental tone shaping. So managing those will be the primary task.

The good news is that these sorts of drastic changes shouldn't happen again. Since MIMIC guarantees that the model sounds like the amp there won't be any huge changes in tone in future updates.

Now it's all about IRs. IRs are your fundamental tone shaping. So managing those will be the primary task.

Do you have anything in the works in regards to IRs?

Thanks Cliff, The new IR's alone is worth V10, The combo of MIMIC and IR's is ground breaking.. I would like to hear from someone who took the time and if possible is using V10 IR's on V9 amps. If possible.. O' no what if I started something........SORRY.. Nevermind... Why would you.?

JLP

A FAS utility similar to IR-Lab from iProductions where you can search, mix, and audition the new Producer Packs would be a cool tool! ;)

I had a few really fav patches in FW9 but I think I will just use editor to safe a few effect blocks and then nuke the whole system back to square one with FW10

Instead of taking hours to resurrect you V9 presets. Take 10 minutes to start from scratch. It sucks, but you will finish sooner and be happier in the end. No one likes starting over, but just pretend you have a new AFX II with V10. O'yeah, including all new V10 presets. Bring that ear that made your V9 preset awesome and your V10 will not disappoint. It seems to be the theme of all who love V10. In might and for me include a different amp and/or cab.. It's there, go find it.

JLP

That's sort of what I always do if my results aren't getting there by amp reset alone.
FW7 my main Clean was a Deluxe Reverb, FW8 the VibroVerb got Effect recalled in, FW9 I ended up effect recalling the Super Verb patches amp. Now with 10 I have gone back to the Deluxe Reverb...
I just use Effect Recall to audition AMPs and CABs from the ones from the factory bank, when I hear something that sound close I start with that and tweak to my taste with Bass, Mid, Treb, Pres, Drive and Master.
This way my patch stays the same as I flip through Amps and Cabs.
I can audition some Factory presets and get an idea of the Amp I want to recall in there.

I just spent the last 30 minutes of my day reupdating the firmware, doing a factory reset, uploading all the v10 presets... Going to approach it tomorrow like I never have used it before. I am looking forward to it.

Not to be harsh but say goodbye to your favorite preset...It died unless you want to stay with V9. Starting from scratch mean just that. It might not be that amp anymore. If basketweave TX is your great IR, try it with all the amps. switch an try all the drive pedals.. Sorry but scratch means from -0-. It's in there. Remember how much time it took you to dial in your favorite V9, Go find your V10 preset, it is in there, and when you do..look out!

I at first was pissed when I lost my three greatest TMA blocks. ENGL,MESA,ORANGE. Found my AMP block, minor tweak and don't even care anymore about the TMA. I wish i had the hours spent tweaking to those TMA's back..lol

But I had luck with my favorite preset as long as I don't turn of the boost in front of it. Alot of my problem with starting from scratch is I get this looseness in the low end that I just can't dial out(been trying for days now). Any one have any tips in taming the low end besides the low cut. Even though I am having trouble I see the upside to 10, when I was switching between 10 and 9.02, 9.02 had more sizzle I guess you could say, but when you hear 10 and 9.02 back to back you see 10 is fuller sounding. All I need to to is fix the lowend and find the amps I like cause it has all changed.

I can see a great difference in the Mesa's, Xtcy's, and seems like in the Splawn too, which sound better.

Back
Top Bottom