Predictions on how will FW10 affect our patches.

On the Amps: you can just change the amp type and it is great. But... if you reset the block... the MV defaults to where it should and all you'll need to is work with the Drive, TMB/Presence for most amps. You can go further from there - of course - but I'd lay bets that for most, you'd be done.

The Cabs: well, there are a lot of cool new shiny pre-mixed/pre-mic'd cabs from the factory. If you have killer User IR's; you'll still have them, but they've 'moved' now. There a LOT of new factory cabs and now you get 100 user slots. So just choose the right cab type (they are not hard to figure the names out, the names of the cabs match the amps and/or are pretty common. There will be a FAQ on the new cabs to my understanding).

So you can roll with just setting the cab and the amp blocks up; it is very quick once you get the 'lay of the land'.

This is seriously the biggest shift; but it's not going to ravage your tones.

FWIW - presets are essentially just parameter settings. My experience so far tells me that this is - by FAR - the easiest to dial firmware ever produced by Fractal Audio.

It is worth the wait (Cliff put a massive cookie on his plate with this and is literally sending out emails sometimes in the very late night and/or early morning. It's my impression from afar that he's essentially living in his Fractal Lab). Just hang tight as he works through all the amps; it is a very big endeavor.

All 100 percent non-official and IMHO.

On the Amps: you can just change the amp type and it is great. But... if you reset the block... the MV defaults to where it should and all you'll need to is work with the Drive, TMB/Presence for most amps. You can go further from there - of course - but I'd lay bets that for most, you'd be done.

The Cabs: well, there are a lot of cool new shiny pre-mixed/pre-mic'd cabs from the factory. If you have killer User IR's; you'll still have them, but they've 'moved' now. There a LOT of new factory cabs and now you get 100 user slots. So just choose the right cab type (they are not hard to figure the names out, the names of the cabs match the amps and/or are pretty common. There will be a FAQ on the new cabs to my understanding).

So you can roll with just setting the cab and the amp blocks up; it is very quick once you get the 'lay of the land'.

This is seriously the biggest shift; but it's not going to ravage your tones.

FWIW - presets are essentially just parameter settings. My experience so far tells me that this is - by FAR - the easiest to dial firmware ever produced by Fractal Audio.

It is worth the wait (Cliff put a massive cookie on his plate with this and is literally sending out emails sometimes in the very late night and/or early morning. It's my impression from afar that he's essentially living in his Fractal Lab). Just hang tight as he works through all the amps; it is a very big endeavor.

All 100 percent non-official and IMHO.

ROFD (Rolling on Floor Drooling)

I've had to go back through my presets with each firmware upgrade. I am running other gear through the effects loop of my Axe II, and it seems that firmware upgrades alter the gain structure, volume, etc...Of course with scenes, a new world of being able to set levels for effects loop and master output for each scene really revolutionized how useful this little box is for me. Now, if I engage an effect that might normally either wash out the sound, or boost the sound, and I desire to override, or stabilize the overall volume, I can do so.

I expect that I will need to do that with each upgrade, but I am really thankful that there are upgrades in the first place. I don't begrudge having to "go through my rig" again and again, because it keeps getting better.

Besides, this process normally means I will go through presets I may have built 4 to 8+ months ago, and I'm a better programmer than I was back then, and have discovered new, pet amp and cabinets, than what I knew about at that time. So, I can normally make those sound better, just from sheer experience.

I enjoy the process.

That said, it FW10 comes out in the days before a gig, I am more likely to try it out, but then revert back to 9.02 where I know what I'm getting, with no surprises until the gig date has passed.

Eventually, this thing could turn into the next SkyNet and become self-aware......be careful....be very very careful.

PS - I can't wait!!!!

Back
Top Bottom