You tube recordings

joel

Inspired
hi all, anyone know how to record a video for youtube besides using my phone?

so i can get a proper mic'd or direct sound in sync with the video and any webcam in particular?

cheers
joel

Direct recordings through a DAW yield the best results. Normalizing levels is the first order of business with any recording wether using a mic or usb.

That can be done in a move maker or iMovie if your running a Mac. Or if your good you can try to get it one take and play along with the vid wile your recording it. It's probably better if you record it direct to a DAW this way you can edit any mistakes. Once you like what you have then you can mix it to the vid using the other programs mentioned.

any camera suggestions?

I am toying with this as well....

I have no problems capturing the audio on my DAW using Adobe Audition. My issue is the video side of things. I have a Canon 7D HD EOS digital camera that I can get great HD video. The issue is with the .mov format video using H.264 codec and converting it and then syncing it with the audio track.
Pain in the rear to do....and buying 3rd party software to convert etc.

You can get really nice HD webcams cheap ($30-50) or so if you are just doing it from your home computer. Otherwise you are in the $500 and up range for a entry level HD video camera

i have abelton live it takes video ive just discovered, which is awesome now for the video, checking some hd cameras, cos i hate those shitty quality youtube videos

cant you use your cannon to stream it straight into the software?

I have a Canon 7D HD EOS digital camera that I can get great HD video. The issue is with the .mov format video using H.264 codec and converting it and then syncing it with the audio track.
Pain in the rear to do....and buying 3rd party software to convert etc.

FYI, if you get Adobe Premiere, there's no need to convert EOS footage for synching with audio. Premiere accepts the vast majority of codecs without transcoding.

I just bought a Panasonic HC-X900M HD cam. It's pretty sweet but was $900. Some of the footage from the Axe Fest West Coast event was shot with it. We are using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit from 3 different cameras and merge with the audio. As Cooper said, it handles all the formats. With that said and being a newbie at it myself I have to say there is a pretty steep learning curve both in camera use and editing regardless of software chosen. Plan on spending some time getting to know your tools!

I have a kodak playsport and use reaper for audio and sync. The greatest tool I discovered is "the clap". Point your guitar directly at the camera and clap one hand down on the fretboard. This will cause a spike in audio on both the guitar audio and the camera audio. Pop the video into reaper, line up the spikes and done. You can edit right in reaper or you can mute the camera audio and render it. Import that movie into whatever video editing software you want and go to town.

I just bought Cyberdirector 11, but I haven't used it yet. I bought it because reaper and windows movie maker are extremely basic for editing.

The camera was only like $200, full HD, and it's waterproof. I have an amazing video where I hit record, drop it in my friend's beer mug, and he chugs it. He says "that's going to smell like beer now", to which I respond "I'll just go wash it off!" Love that thing.

handy tip sid thanks.. what about graphics etc and editing is adobe premier pro any good? i have that (cs5)

im newb as well.. premier pro came with photoshop when i got it... that ur band live? the metal

i have abelton live it takes video ive just discovered, which is awesome now for the video, checking some hd cameras, cos i hate those shitty quality youtube videos

cant you use your cannon to stream it straight into the software?

No, it writes the vid to the card....the you copy the file over and convert it etc.

FYI, if you get Adobe Premiere, there's no need to convert EOS footage for synching with audio. Premiere accepts the vast majority of codecs without transcoding.

Thanks, I do have Adobe Premier as well and was using it or a different camera I have....didn't realize this. Have to try it out.
I was recently playing with Sony Vegas and was trying that.

What kind of videos do you want to make with the camera? For filmic quality, narrow field of depth etc...there's nothing like the DSLR's for video. They completely slay the video cameras. Problem is, you have to use the lcd on the back as viewfinder....so it's hard to move around, adjust focus on the fly. However, if you use a stand or don't need to shift focus around I would strongly suggest checking out DSLR's with movie capability. And you'll have a sweet camera to boot 8)

I'd definitely agree that a good DSLR would be awesome, but for cheapo option, something like JVC PICSIO FM2

Certainly not amazing quality, but if you only want it for YouTube, then it will do a job - don't expect it to look good on your telly!

This is a test vid I did a couple weeks ago:

Edited in iMovie (works fine in Premiere too) with audio track replaced by feed taken from desk & ambient mics into a Tascam DR40

Back
Top Bottom