MATRIX GT1600FX poweramp --- aka: The Tube Slayer!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Since the cat is out of the bag I guess I can speak. They sent me this proto-type GT1600FX about 7-9 months ago. I had told them I tried the GT800FX and wasn't enough power for me. I was use to having a Mesa 2:90 power amp and wanted more power and headroom.

BOOM....LOVE IT!!!! Amazing really. 1st solid state that gave me all the Mesa goodness, but allowed the amp models of my AXE FX II to shine through with more distinction than ever before.

This beast is a must have and it has worked 100% flawless since I've owned it. The boys at Matrix are 2nd to none with response time of emails and call you from overseas and never rush the conversation. I can't think of a better team of dudes to do business with. Stellar comes to mind.

I'm actually stunned at how good this amp sounds, how light it is, and how well made it is. All my fellow high watt tube poweramp boys out there.....this is the tube slayer!

Has all the oomph of my Mesa without the colored sound. Takes all the good....leaves all the bad and there you have it! I use Eminence Pro Delta A 400 watt speakers with it. Pure bliss!

IMG_5413.jpg

I take it that it's cool in more ways than one as I see you have it directly beneath your Axe.

edit: failure to read OP/signature carefully.

Do you use both channels of the 1600 into a single 2x12??

Last edited:
I'm ordering one of these. I run four Krank 4x12 cabs with a 2:100 Mesa now, do you use cab Sims? I keep my amp sim on but my cab Sims off and was wondering if I needed to start getting acquainted with the cab Sims.

I'm ordering one of these. I run four Krank 4x12 cabs with a 2:100 Mesa now, do you use cab Sims? I keep my amp sim on but my cab Sims off and was wondering if I needed to start getting acquainted with the cab Sims.

No I leave cab sims off.

Did you try the 1000 between your experiences with the 800 and 1600? I just wonder where exactly that sweet spot of headroom exists, and if upping the ante to 2U is necessary for maximum mojo (it may be).

I have not tried the GT1000FX. I'm sure it's great. But I like the 1600 watts and I'm good to go. Honestly between the Axe II, the MFC, the GT1600FX and my Warmoth guitars....nothing I jones for now.

Except Govan-like chops and mad phrasing ability!

I have not tried the GT1000FX. I'm sure it's great. But I like the 1600 watts and I'm good to go. Honestly between the Axe II, the MFC, the GT1600FX and my Warmoth guitars....nothing I jones for now.

Except Govan-like chops and mad phrasing ability!

That's the scenario I have yearned for for quite some time now... I really just need to bite the bullet, pull the trigger, and treat myself to the most ideal gear possible in order to stop GAS for good. They say you'll always want more, but I really think the 1000 or 1600 and some good speakers could make me content for a long, long time. I, like you and several others, found the 800 to be lacking in headroom (and a bit in feel), so it is very encouraging to hear time and again that the new line of amps from Matrix makes up for this.

I wish I could plug into one of these and AB it with My 2902. I'd like to see if my ears would still favor the tube power amp.

I wish I could plug into one of these and AB it with My 2902. I'd like to see if my ears would still favor the tube power amp.

I bet it's so close you would be fine with less weight and no more tube changes. You will definitely like that all models now have distinction instead of being smothered in a tube colored sound.

Has nothing to do with volume. It's headroom and having access to immediate raw power. My hearing is actually perfect. I may run the poweramp full, but the Axe Fx II is at maybe 11 o'clock.

might be a dumb question but anyway, what`s the advantage of running it this way instead of having the AxeFX full on and controlling the volume on your poweramp?

might be a dumb question but anyway, what`s the advantage of running it this way instead of having the AxeFX full on and controlling the volume on your poweramp?

Not dumb at all. Reason: HEADROOM. Running it the way I do gives you tons of clean headroom.

Back
Top Bottom