NMD - New Matrix Day!

xpenno

Power User
today is a good day, make that a great day! My latest Matrix order just turned up and all I can say is wow, I'm blown away!

I am coming from the original GT800FX and am replacing that with a GT1500FXBD (3 channel power amp) and a pair of CFR12's. I've heard and briefly played the CFR in the past but have never had the chance to use the rest of my rig with it. Today I finally got the chance to plug my trusty Les Paul, my Axe2 (fw9beta) and the Ownhammer beta cabs into my new rig and it just sounds superb. I already knew that the Matrix amps were great but these new amps are even more rocking than the original GT800FX was and that says a lot.

I was previously running the GT800 into my Marshall 2x12 but after running the CFRs up for a few minutes this morning I don't think that this cab will be required for much longer. The CFRs combined with the Ownhammer beta cabs just sounds superb, the CFRs feel so much more like a guitar cab than an FRFR speaker, I have found that many FRFR speakers feel a little stiff and sterile somehow but these sound and feel perfect. I was able to dial in some great rock/metal, clean and crunch tones in seconds everything just seemed to work together and I can't wait to get more time to dig deeper. Next on the agenda is testing a wet/dry/wet setup using my 2x12 cab, should be fun :)

It's certainly early days but I'm loving what I'm hearing from this rig so far! If you guys are interested then I'll happily make some clips, pics, maybe even a video or two. I'll also be posting a more in-depth review once I get a little more familiar with everything.

Big thanks to Andy and Matt for sorting out the speedy delivery at such sort notice, really appreciate it guys!

Cheers

Spence

Attachments

• DSC_1578edit.jpg
    DSC_1578edit.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 89
Very cool, I would like to hear your take on how the CFR's sound with track music played through them. Your reference to FR speakers "feeling stiff" makes me wonder if it's the amp that is making the difference as the speaker that Matrix uses is something you can find in a typical FR enclosure.

Would be cool to hear A/B clips with the Marshall cab and the CFR´s. How is the punch in comparison to the 2x12 cab.

Very cool, I would like to hear your take on how the CFR's sound with track music played through them. Your reference to FR speakers "feeling stiff" makes me wonder if it's the amp that is making the difference as the speaker that Matrix uses is something you can find in a typical FR enclosure.

Yeah man, I'll defo give that a go, I've heard them with Full Range material played through them and it sounded great, I'll be giving it another try with music that I'm more familiar with before I make my mind up on how well they work for this but they certainly sounded good compared to some really high-end speakers that we had sat next to them!

Spence

Would be cool to hear A/B clips with the Marshall cab and the CFR´s. How is the punch in comparison to the 2x12 cab.

Yeah should be able to sort that out. From my experience so far the CFRs have all the punch I need but it's going to be interesting to compare the two rigs side-by-side as well as both together. I'll get some vids done as soon as I can.

Spence

Ok so the Mrs is out tonight, I've moved everything into place and I should be able to get everything ready for a good testing session with the gear :)

SpenceDSC_1585up.jpg

So, if the Marshall is no longer necessary, what will you use that third channel for? And how exactly do you find the new line of Matrix amps superior to the original 800?

So, if the Marshall is no longer necessary, what will you use that third channel for? And how exactly do you find the new line of Matrix amps superior to the original 800?

This is the latest Matrix amp, and it only does 3.1 surround? :( WTF

Back
Top Bottom