New metal track - Das Metal Amp - 4 x 12 SLM

toolfanem

Power User
Hey guys, just finished demoing this track. Still needs vocals, can anyone with good ears give me some tips on how to make this sound better?

Thanks ya'll!

EDIT: Anyone else think I should leave out vocals on this? I wrote it with vocals in mind, but I dont have a singer... I'm not sure its strong enough as a song without vocals though.

Honest opinions?

Here is a link to the patch, its mono - left channel only.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/49465-my-metal-rhythm-tone-low-tunings.html

Last edited:
cool sound, nice playing, nice track.

I can only make nitpicking for your sound to make it "more". But it is more a personal choice from me. So, don't care about :)

Basedrum could have a little more "punch" in the upper frequencys and a little more in the low range, and guitars a very little less in the...very high range (fizzy called?).

I am shure if you lay this in the hands of a "pro" in mastering, he will do "cool things with it.

Frank

Anyone else think I should leave out vocals on this? I wrote it with vocals in mind, but I dont have a singer... I'm not sure its strong enough as a song without vocals though.

Honest opinions?

Umm maybe it's my deaf ears... but what vocals do you speak of lol?

Great work though. Love the instrumental here. Tones sound awesome!

No vocals on it yet... but I was thinking of adding them. Just curious to hear peoples opinions on if the song is strong enough to stand on its own without vocals. I personally am on the fence, but I think everyone is about their own music :)

I'd say either leave vocals out of it, or put in a semi-clean singer. I have always said that I want an instrumental meshuggah band, and that is what this is. Or throw in a singer similar to trivium or killswitch engage, someone who can scream and sing clean at times. Just my 2 cents. Sounds amazing though! If you had a CD out of this kind of stuff I'd be listening to it everyday.

Thanks Halo! I envisioned someone with a similar tone to the singer from Gojira. He's got pitch to his screams. Not high pitched 80s style but half screaming, half singing at the same time. I am working on an album btw, that I will be releasing for free sometime in the future, this will be on it will some minor revisions and hopefully vocals. Most of it is written already, and most of it was recorded already! But then I got my axe fx 2 haha, and now that process is starting all over, much for the better! Ill probably end up posting the whole record before its even done at this rate since 4 of the demo versions of songs are already on my sound cloud and posted around the forum haha.

Would you be able to upload your bass preset? I heard the solo clip on soundcloud and I liked the way it sounded. Or is that just a modified version of your other preset?

Loving this dude! I say leave the vox out. There is a lack of good instrumental metal available IMO.

I'm glad people are digging instrumental music so much now! I will def post the bass preset later on tonight when I get home. The thing is that there is a fair amount of post processing on that particular track. I left all the compression duties up to protools and added a 8 db cut around 120 on a plugin in protools.

There is a reason I am doing this though! The patch is setup to run to distorted bass track to spdif out L, and an undistorted track to spdif out R. I record both into protools on separate tracks and then combine them on a mono aux with the plugins mentioned above. This allows me to lower the volume of the distorted track for quieter passages or parts that just sound better cleaner. Also, compressing the two tracks on the same bus helps glue the two bass tracks together (IMO).

Interesting...One more thing I was wondering about. Would be be possible or you to upload a version of the mix that is raw and just thrown together, and then another version with some fx added? I am trying to learn about mixing and I think it would help if I could hear what my raw mixes sound like against yours. If not, no worries! Just curious. I remember you saying that you use the vintage warmer plugin on the final track, so I have been messing around with that a little.

edit: or better yet, one day you should write up or record a tutorial for mixing the tracks together. Your tracks sound so damn good!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom