Yek's Preset Collection (v9.02)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
My Axe-Fx II presets for 9.02.

Note: The files in this post cannot be downloaded anymore. See separate thread for presets for firmware 10 and later.

Read This First!
  • These are presets I created, factory presets I tweaked and presets from others which I tweaked, dialed in for playing live, mono.
    Credits: FractalAudio, Javajunkie, Scott Peterson, Simeon, Bakerman, Swedish Chef, Smilefan, Mark Melling, Fremen, Pete Thorn, AustinBuddy, Hoppa, Larry Mitchell and others.
  • Download the BANK A and SYSTEM files. Use a MIDI utility to transfer these into your Axe-Fx if you want to have an exact copy of my setup. These are 800k files so it will take a few minutes to transfer them into the Axe-Fx! WARNING 1: loading a bank will overwrite your first 128 presets! Create a backup of your own bank first (Utility menu). The system data is required for the global blocks. WARNING 2: importing the System file will replace your own system information. This includes Global and I/O settings, user cabs and your own global block data. So backup your System to onboard memory first (Utility menu).
  • Some audio clips posted HERE and HERE.
  • Some presets make use of an user cab slot, indicated by "ir" in their names. Make sure the particular slot is filled or YOU WON'T HEAR ANYTHING!
Amplification and Guitars
  • Home: Adam A7X monitors (OUT1).
  • Live: power amp and guitar cabinet through OUT2. Sometimes a FR monitor.
  • Guitars: Gibson LP-295, Fender American Fat Strat Deluxe, Haar Telecaster, Suhr GG. If a guitar sounds too bright with a specific guitar, I turn down tone on the guitar or I adjust the Global EQ.
Global, I/O and Tuner
  • Power Amp simulation On. Cabinet simulation On (req. for OUT1). Modeling latest version. Global EQs depending on room and amplification. Spillover both. Amp Gain default.
  • Tuner mute: Input.
  • Instr Input level "tickling" red, around 50% (based on my Les Paul but used with all guitars). Analog Front Input Left. Input 1 Left Select Front. Input 1 Mode Left Only. Both Output Modes Copy L>R. X Amp 1, Y Amp 2. Scene Revert On. Ignore Redundant PC On.
OUT2: Power Amp and Guitar Cab
  • The FXL block in each preset feeds a power amp and guitar cab through OUT2. No Cab simulation. Turn up OUT2 on the front panel to hear sound. Can be stereo or mono. I play mono (Output 2 Mode: Copy L>R).
OUT1: Studio Monitors, FRFR amplification, signal to FOH
  • Direct signal with cabinet simulation. Turn up OUT1 on the front panel to hear sound. Can be stereo or mono; my system is mono (Output 1 Mode: Copy L>R).
  • For your comfort I use stocks cab(s). The selected IR(s) (= OH H75, or OH H75 + OH EVM-12L) sound(s) similar to the guitar cab I'm using. The Cab block is in Stereo mode. Change to Mono LoRes if CPU usage is a problem.
  • Other Cab settings: Proximity around 3.00 (when using mic simulation). Both IRS panned center (when using a stereo cab).
  • A few presets (with "ir" in their names) use specific user cabs (see picture below), download sources: Acoustic Guitar Body | Taylor 314ce | Santiago IRs (EchoPlex, EJ250, Altec).
9cabs.jpg

Amp Blocks
  • Some presets contain a single Amp block with X/Y states, others have 2 Amp blocks. I use the Drive block for extra gain.
  • My main preset 000 contains two Amp blocks, configured for X/Y, switched through 4 scenes. Current favorite amps: Super Reverb, Friedman BE, Friedman BE saturated, Two Rock (lead).
  • Preset 001 provides 4 alternative amp tones in the same way: Budda, 1987x, JCM800, VH4 (or try Splawn Nitro).
  • Advanced amp parameters are at default, except for Input Select (always Left).
  • Presets 60 and higher (split in scenes) feature other amp models I like a lot.
Presets
  • The picture below shows all presets, ordered to fit into MFC banks (Bank Size 5).
  • If a preset contains multiple scenes, the name has one or more hyphens.
9list.jpg

• The picture below shows the preset list I take with me to rehearsals and gigs.
9overview.jpg

Grid Template and Global Blocks
  • My default grid template contains the effects listed below, saved as global blocks.
  • Stereo blocks are configured as mono. For stereo use adjust the Pan, LFO Phase and Phase Reverse parameters in each block.
  • I use Input Gain to set the effect level of Reverb/Delay, while keeping Mix/Level at fixed levels, to normalise spillover when switching presets.
  • Input gate is set modestly, per preset. Impedance is set at 1M.
9grid.jpg

• VOLUME - attached to Envelope, for automatic volume swells.
  • COMP - moderate compression.
  • WAH and Pitch - expression pedal (auto-engage) used as Wah or Wahmmy (external switch).
  • PHASER 1 - configured as a Phase 90.
  • FLANGER - configured as a jet flanger.
  • PHASER 2 - configured as a Vibe.
  • DRIVE - X: configured as a RC Booster, Y: configured as a TS9.
  • AMP(s) - see above.
  • ROTARY - Ext2 (IA16) switches between slow/fast.
  • TREMOLO - Ext2 (IA16) switches between slow/fast.
  • REVERB - some reverb for clean tones.
  • DELAY - Y: short delay, X: long and louder delay, Ext3 ("x-delay") provides additional delay.
  • GEQ 2 - configured for lead boosts.
  • CAB
  • FX Loop - sends the signal without cab simulation to OUT2.
  • PEQ 1 - mid-boost for live FR monitoring. I use I/O > MIDI > Ext. Controller (#4) Initial Value to switch it on or off (globally).
MFC-101, Expression Pedal, External Switch(es)
  • Most of the time I'm in the first MFC-101 bank, using preset 000 which provides 4 amp tones through 4 scenes.
  • Most settings are at default except: Bank Style None, calibrated expression pedal (XP1 CC16), Bank Limit (set to last bank with usable presets), Wrap off, Edit mode long, TotalSync on.
  • IAs are set to Axe-Fx functionality (Bypass, X/Y, Scenes), excep:
    • IA06: programmed to send PC000. Provides one-click recall of my main preset (and the bank it's in).
    • IA16: switches between fixed Rotary/Tremolo speeds (Ext2) and in some presets it has a specific purpose.
  • My external 4-switch box provides switches for lead boosts (GEQ2), volume swells (Vol1), extra delay (Ext3) and Wah/Whammy mode (Ext9).
  • I use the MFC-01 in Preset mode.
  • I use a Mission EP-1 expression pedal (no switch, with spring), attached to Ext1. It auto-engages Wah or Whammy. The Balance parameter is set to Ext9 to be able to alternate between Wah/Whammy using an IA (requires Input Select in Amp and Drive blocks to be set to Left, more information). If a preset name contains something like "Pd", the pedal serves another purpose.

9mfc.jpg

9listC.jpg

Last edited:
I just yesterday basically took the plunge to FRFR after long long time of testing I finally think I found the stuff that works for me and sounds great. Downloaded the presets and tested a few against your recordings. Almost dead on. Flipping awesome. They turn out a tad bright on my system, otherwise great. Thanks a million again. This will make my start with FRFR much MUCH (did I say MUCH) more easy and smooth!!

Reactions: yek
A couple of suggestions to make things less bright without adjusting the amp parameters:
- Turn down hi-cut in the Cab block, for example to 6kHz.
- Substitute the stock IRs with user cabs of the same kind, but with the mic at Cone (RW) or position 4 or 5 (OH).

Thanks, will do. One of the first things I found out with FRFR is what a challenge yet opportunity there is in soundshaping with different CABS and mic positions

Reactions: yek
Thanks, will do. One of the first things I found out with FRFR is what a challenge yet opportunity there is in soundshaping with different CABS and mic positions

Indeed.

And an infamous "rabbit hole" at the same time... Part of the reason I switched back to power amp + traditional cab, makes life and choices easier. I still use IRs of course, for the FOH signal, and for my home studio monitors. I go for consistency now instead of never-ending-IR-tweaking. ;)

PS I like your SIG.

Last edited:
Yek, you took "describing your setup" to the next level with this one. That's everything a n00b needs right there to get started -- one stop shop to organizing the chaos. Awesome post.

Thanks Ian! That's the main purpose indeed, to get people started, provide reference and introduce ideas. Not to showcase, because loads of people dial in amp tones far better than I do. :)

As I sit here and look at my new Axe 2 sitting in it's box, contributions such as this post are just so damn good!

Thanks Yek - I'd kiss you but I know you'd probably use your tongue .... I'll send you my G66 box of chocolates instead :razz

You always seem to post at the worst possible time, Yek! I just got to school right now in the library, wishing I would have ditched my lectures and stayed home to try out these presets. Oh well, I'll have to be patient. I'm not going to get home for a good 7 hours (thanks collegiate athletics!).

Anyways, thanks for the (I haven't tried them yet but I'm sure they're amazingly awesome as always) patches! They're always much appreciated. For a newbie like myself, these posts are invaluable!

Hello Alexander,

you wrote: AMP......Y is default because I prefer the LED of the IA-switch to be off by default" . I didn't get that. Would you be so kind and explain it once again to me? I'm facinated by the idea that the amp X/Y LED on my MFC could be anyhow set to Off, in my case its either red (amp X) or green (AMP Y). I would love to have the possibility that the LED only lights up when a second AMP setting is available => which means really made by me, not only the default settings!

Hope that was comprehensible and anyway thank you very much for your help and contributions!
Martin

Green is the LED color of IA switches for active effects. Green is also the LED color of an IA switch for the X-mode of an effect, if you have assigned the IA to switch between X and Y.

I want the default mode of the Amp block X/Y switch to NOT be green. So Y is default in my setup, for all fx for which I have an X/Y IA switch. This means that the IA switch for AMP X/Y is Red by default.

However, in Edit > Setup on the MFC you can specify that, instead of coloring Red, IA's switch off altogether!

Last edited:
An OD block in most presets with Drive low, high Level is very nice for adding mild dirt to clean tones, and clean enough to boost crunch and higher gain presets without getting too mushy.

For another flavor, try the Full OD drive model, based on the Fulltone Fulldrive. Drive at 0, Tone at 5 and Level at 9. Still has that Tubesceamer vibe, but way thicker, think Gary Moore ...

Last edited:
Yek, thank you. As always, you are the man!

What an awesome way to put OCD for organization to excellent use.

Priceless! What a fantastic skill set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom