Yet another fan story...

Indirectly, this provides for the following to be true then: "The Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XR2 60mm fan is a direct replacement, Fractal approved fan for the Axe-Fx II."
Yes? It would be case-closing (I suppose?) for Fractal to provide a thumbs-up or -down on this, as all of the G66 reports coming in are overwhelmingly positive. :D

As I said in the other thread. Approved and preferred are different things.

I suspect the G66 fan is good enough to make it through the warranty period, but maybe five years out it will fail and the FAS wouldn't. So both G66 and FAS are off the hook financially then, but one has a longer useful life span.

As I said in the other thread. Approved and preferred are different things.

I suspect the G66 fan is good enough to make it through the warranty period, but maybe five years out it will fail and the FAS wouldn't. So both G66 and FAS are off the hook financially then, but one has a longer useful life span.
Hence my post. Until (IF) Fractal replies, it is all speculative, and thus meaningless (regarding the actual question: did Fractal actually approve of this fan as a direct replacement for the stock one?).

Hence my post. Until (IF) Fractal replies, it is all speculative, and thus meaningless (regarding the actual question: did Fractal actually approve of this fan as a direct replacement for the stock one?).

This issue has been beaten to death. I would not expect any reply, as the absence of one is the reply, hence "no".

This issue has been beaten to death. I would not expect any reply, as the absence of one is the reply, hence "no".
And I will continue to gladly beat this horse, even if laying on its side, feigning death or not, especially when people keep propping said horse up. Fractal is the ONLY authority in this case, and the only entity capable of pronouncing said horse as truly dead. Replies by any other entities are simply speculative, as they are not qualified to provide an objective "horse death" assessment.

If it does not concern someone, it is so very, very simple to ignore a thread. If one is unable to ignore a thread they dislike or feel is unnecessary, pointless, etc, then I would wager that issues of a different nature exist, and no official reply about a fan will resolve such issue(s). The USA loves to medicate for these things though...

I'm with nikki-k on this one.

I've decided to keep the Axe and wonder if the G66 fan replacement situation isn't hopeful for those of us who would like to quiet down their Axe's.

If the fan doesn't bother someone I would hope that it is understood that it may be problematic for others and reasonably so, and let it get discussed by those who want a solution without being told by anyone other than Fractal that there isn't anything that can be done.

Last edited:
And I will continue to gladly beat this horse, even if laying on its side, feigning death or not, especially when people keep propping said horse up. Fractal is the ONLY authority in this case, and the only entity capable of pronouncing said horse as truly dead. Replies by any other entities are simply speculative, as they are not qualified to provide an objective "horse death" assessment.

If it does not concern someone, it is so very, very simple to ignore a thread. If one is unable to ignore a thread they dislike or feel is unnecessary, pointless, etc, then I would wager that issues of a different nature exist, and no official reply about a fan will resolve such issue(s). The USA loves to medicate for these things though...

So email FAS and see if you get a response. Cliff responds to posts all the time, and since the fan issue is the most popular complaint, I'm sure he has read the posts.

Indirectly, this provides for the following to be true then: "The Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XR2 60mm fan is a direct replacement, Fractal approved fan for the Axe-Fx II."
Yes? It would be case-closing (I suppose?) for Fractal to provide a thumbs-up or -down on this, as all of the G66 reports coming in are overwhelmingly positive. :D

G66 is not using this fan anymore (Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XR2 60mm) . It is difficult to install. They are using (testing) a new one which is easier on the install and much better quality. Stay tuned...

So email FAS and see if you get a response. Cliff responds to posts all the time, and since the fan issue is the most popular complaint, I'm sure he has read the posts.
While an email can provide a direct (and often quicker) response, it unfortunately does not afford all of the others with concerns an official answer. Whenever an issue/question is a shared concern of many, or has potential to be so, I always prefer a more public venue, as this provides a public point of reference, for future reference and citation. If I received an answer, cutting and posting here would require permission from the sender (because it is respectful to ask), and even then would still not technically be an official answer for everyone else (it would still be hearsay). If someone else posted here with a statement they claimed came from Cliff himself, directly, and even if they provided a (claimed) cut 'n' paste from the email they claim contained such information/confirmation, it would still not fulfill the criteria required to label it as "official word" (once again, potentially, hearsay). I am not trying to be difficult, this is how my brain works.

G66 is not using this fan anymore (Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XR2 60mm) . It is difficult to install. They are using (testing) a new one which is easier on the install and much better quality. Stay tuned...
Thank you very much for this reply!
Not only has it saved me from a desperation purchase, but it has provided some hope of finally resolving something that has been a serious issue for a (small?) group of owners. Thank you!

Thank you very much for this reply!
Not only has it saved me from a desperation purchase, but it has provided some hope of finally resolving something that has been a serious issue for a (small?) group of owners. Thank you!
I could tell your OCD was kicking in....;)

Fantastic. I just ordered one of those stupid fans this morning so I have that going for me. :)

I don't care about difficult to install. It's a fan. Trust me when I say that I've had to work on things a lot more challenging. :mrgreen

You should see the custom CPU cooler I made back before you could get aftermarket coolers or the time I made a noiseless duct system from a tupperware bowl, a fan and heater/AC ducting from the autoparts store. It looked like it was the precursor to those pills you see them selling on TV today...you know the ones that Jimmy Johnson or the girl with the creepy wandering eye swear by? It would have been better if she said "it works so good I can't see straight anymore." You know the one that Austin Powers kept saying wasn't his. :)

Fantastic. I just ordered one of those stupid fans this morning so I have that going for me. :)

I don't care about difficult to install. It's a fan. Trust me when I say that I've had to work on things a lot more challenging. :mrgreen

You should see the custom CPU cooler I made back before you could get aftermarket coolers or the time I made a noiseless duct system from a tupperware bowl, a fan and heater/AC ducting from the autoparts store. It looked like it was the precursor to those pills you see them selling on TV today...you know the ones that Jimmy Johnson or the girl with the creepy wandering eye swear by? It would have been better if she said "it works so good I can't see straight anymore." You know the one that Austin Powers kept saying wasn't his. :)

Man, you should have been a member of the A-team!

Dont panic - i installed one today lol. I have EMailed G66 and asked for an "official" one (official from G66 that is) once one is finalised, but for now the Noiseblocker works a treat. its not "silent" but MUCH MUCH better than the stock one. the specs are good - at least as good as the original. Its not expensive (£8 delivered in the UK) so if it lasts a few months then gets noisy (I believe that is the technical issue with some of them) then its not expensive to replace again and does offer a much quieter experience in the meanwhile.

the fitting issue is that its thicker than the stock fan. if you remove the while plastic "inner" part, and leave off the washers (there locking nuts anyway) it fits fine. Took me all of 5 minutes including taking off and replacing the lid.

Back
Top Bottom